Black of death screen

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am really perplexed as to what has happened to my phone. I am glad I still have my iPad and Mac, otherwise I would be up the creek without a paddle.

9pm Sat night suddenly my phone just went black on me. On the charger it will display the lock screen for a brief moment and then black out. I cannot power off nor can I get it into recovery mode.

So I will have to go to Verizon and deal with it there.

It was working perfectly fine up to that point. Also when this happened the back of the phone was very hot like a cup of coffee hot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am really perplexed as to what has happened to my phone. I am glad I still have my iPad and Mac, otherwise I would be up the creek without a paddle.

9pm Sat night suddenly my phone just went black on me. On the charger it will display the lock screen for a brief moment and then black out. I cannot power off nor can I get it into recovery mode.

So I will have to go to Verizon and deal with it there.

It was working perfectly fine up to that point. Also when this happened the back of the phone was very hot like a cup of coffee hot.

A power surge while charging, perhaps? With that being said, if there is an Store nearby, I would take it to them in lieu of going to Verizon because they are more likely to fix or exchange it on the spot, in my opinion.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yikes! I am sorry about this and agree that the Apple Store would be a better option. Please keep us posted!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It is not from a power surge. Have it restoring from iCloud but they are going to send me a replacement because I can’t have this happen again.
I have also been quite ill and am on chemo. I really can’t be out in crowds . Going to Verizon would be quick but going to apple store not the case. And with being under warranty on Verizon they have to send it to me which they are overnighting to me and not charging me. If I have to talk to someone I have my watch and I have my iPad and Mac Pro for other communication. I am just glad it is going to be replaced

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is not from a power surge. Have it restoring from iCloud but they are going to send me a replacement because I can’t have this happen again.
I have also been quite ill and am on chemo. I really can’t be out in crowds . Going to Verizon would be quick but going to apple store not the case. And with being under warranty on Verizon they have to send it to me which they are overnighting to me and not charging me. If I have to talk to someone I have my watch and I have my iPad and Mac Pro for other communication. I am just glad it is going to be replaced

Understood...:)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am really frustrated with Verizon over this. They will gladly send me a replacement but it won’t be a NEW phone. I haven’t had this device a full month. What happened it not my fault and it has been a very unhappy ordeal to say the least. The set up is still going on and most likely will continue it tomorrow when I am at the dr office. I am not in the mood to go to a Starbucks to use their WIFI. I am exhausted from lack of sleep. My dr office has free WiFi as well and will be there for a long time. My last chemo treatment so for that I am happy.

I just don’t understand why this happened and if an app caused this unsure which app. And to be perfectly honest, I have never ever had this issue with any phone before. Only this one and it makes me lack confidence in the phone. I don’t want a refurbished phone and when I am up to it, I will go into an Apple store and have check out the phone and let them know what happened. I should be given a new phone. NOT REFURBISHED
I sold wireless for over 5 years. I know what refurbished is. Under these circumstances that should not even be considered.

So far what is on the phone is running fine. I also had to pair up my watch again. Nightmare for sure.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
GOOD NEWS for once. LOL

I just got off the phone with Apple support. I do have some apps that are still loading but the rep was able to run a diagnostics test on my phone so I don’t have to be in a crowd of people.

It is perfect so far. She told me should the problem happen again to get to an Apple Store and they will check it out and most likely replace the phone with a NEW not refurbished device.
It would be covered under their one yr hard warranty

Now I feel better knowing it will be handled if should arise again

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am really frustrated with Verizon over this. They will gladly send me a replacement but it won’t be a NEW phone. I haven’t had this device a full month. What happened it not my fault and it has been a very unhappy ordeal to say the least. The set up is still going on and most likely will continue it tomorrow when I am at the dr office. I am not in the mood to go to a Starbucks to use their WIFI. I am exhausted from lack of sleep. My dr office has free WiFi as well and will be there for a long time. My last chemo treatment so for that I am happy.

I just don’t understand why this happened and if an app caused this unsure which app. And to be perfectly honest, I have never ever had this issue with any phone before. Only this one and it makes me lack confidence in the phone. I don’t want a refurbished phone and when I am up to it, I will go into an Apple store and have check out the phone and let them know what happened. I should be given a new phone. NOT REFURBISHED
I sold wireless for over 5 years. I know what refurbished is. Under these circumstances that should not even be considered.

So far what is on the phone is running fine. I also had to pair up my watch again. Nightmare for sure.

"replacement" doesn’t always mean a refurb. Some are new devices, if they're in stock. I got a replacement 6s Plus last year that was brand new. Nothing wrong with refurbs though. In your case, it would have been under the same warranty.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Verizon told me refurbished. Apple says if it happens again covered under their hardware warranty and would get a new device

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site

Really glad to hear it’s your last treatment and hope everything is good.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
GOOD NEWS for once. LOL

I just got off the phone with Apple support. I do have some apps that are still loading but the rep was able to run a diagnostics test on my phone so I don’t have to be in a crowd of people.

It is perfect so far. She told me should the problem happen again to get to an Apple Store and they will check it out and most likely replace the phone with a NEW not refurbished device.
It would be covered under their one yr hard warranty

Now I feel better knowing it will be handled if should arise again

Definitely good news. I would never trust my carrier to fix it or replace it either! I was going to suggest that you contact Apple support via phone so that they could scan your phone but this was before I read the rest of the posts and I see that you already did that so I am really really glad!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Definitely good news. I would never trust my carrier to fix it or replace it either! I was going to suggest that you contact Apple support via phone so that they could scan your phone but this was before I read the rest of the posts and I see that you already did that so I am really really glad!

Thanks! That was my intention

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Downloads have been slow. Hopefully no errors. I did delete a couple and installed again and those went better to download

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR