The reasons I've religiously chose Android over iOS for the past 10 years are now extremely sparse.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
That is,

Here are some of the reasons I was staunch against Apple and how that has changed over the years.

Whenever a new iPhone came out, the first test I would do, one that always failed, was to see how quickly I could rip an mp4 from YouTube, rip an mp3 from a different YouTube video and then combine them in my own creation in imovie.

For several reasons, this always seemed impossible - until I tired it on the iPhone 11 Pro Max today. It was instantaneous and easy - just like in my android devices.

I was always into rooting and modding, and sideloading and all of that good stuff which was pretty straight forward, and, seemingly encouraged, on Android. This, as you know, wasn't the case, and still isn't for the most part, with Apple.

The reason I would do this, however, was to get the phone to work in the way that I thought it should right out of the box. As the years went by, the android OS matured a lot and I find no need to root or side load or any of that. So, the desire to 'tinker' is gone. That will make my possible switch to IOS Easier, I believe.

I have always owned 2 or 3 flagships a year on Android. Recently, I have stuck with the Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, and Pixel 4. My current phone is the the Pixel 4XL and the OnePlus 7 Pro (12GB of RAM and 256GB of Storage). The reason for the pixels was the absolutely outstanding, lag-free photos. Again, the iPhone 11 Pro Max has now caught up, and some would even say, surpassed the pixel in the photo department now.

I always use swype on android.... That's now baked into the iPhone.

I loved having a file system I could explore.... Now baked into the iPhone.

Storage used to be an issue with the iPhone... But now with 256GB or 512GB, especially when paired with Google Photos, that's plenty!

Another reason I avoided the iPhone was because of the dumpster fire (formerly) known as iTunes. However, now I never have to connect my phone to a computer at all to get up and running. No iTunes needed.... That was a big plus for me with Android - one Gmail login to rule them all!

This year, I feel that the pixel 4 value was simply not there... Way overpriced for sub-par hardware.

The apple hardware is top notch.

Now that Android phones are fast and powerful, the unpolished state of the apps is painfully obvious. It's like the apps are all 2 or 3 years behind in interface integration. Plus, all the premium apps are made with iOS in mind and then haphazardly ported over to Android.

The screen and haptic feedback are still light years beyond Android...

So, with all that being said, I'm sick of settling with the overpriced, under-valued Pixel 4XL, and I believe I'm ready to come over to to a device and os that didn't take a ton of shortcuts as well as decide to drop features while still charging a premium price *cough* Pixel 4XL *cough*.

I'm the biggest Android Fanboy you'll ever meet as well as the biggest hater of Apple you'll ever meet. That being said, I'm ready to come over to the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
giphy.gif

Whoa I never thought I’d see the day!! LOL. Welcome brother!!

The thing that iOS has always had over Android almost from the beginning was the backup situation it has always been so seamless.

I’ve used some of the big Android flagships for two to three days before I’d get fed up and go back to my iPhone. The biggest thing for me was like you said the quality of the apps, it seriously does feel like app development is an afterthought on Android.

My bank app just had an update and has implemented the horrible hamburger menu from Android which I absolutely hate.

Also when using the S10+ earlier this year I couldn’t believe how horrible Samsung’s and Androids implementation of keyboard shortcuts is. iOS has had this nailed down for so long.

Welcome aboard brother now you just need an  watch.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Glad you found what works for you. Although I do disagree with the whole apps being better on iOS argument. I honestly don't see what people are seeing when they say an app works better on iOS vs the Android counterpart. Yeah maybe some UI differences but that's about it. Not enough to call one better over the other.

But in any case glad to see you here too. I often switch back and forth but can't get with iOS as my daily primarily because of how iOS handles notifications and files. It's almost there as a centralized file system but still falls short enough to annoy me. And you still can't open a file with any app of your choosing it still limits you.

The Pro Max is definitely the best iPhone to date and is my current favorite. Battery life is killer! Photos are on par and can go head to head with the Pixel 4 and video is definitely better. Good thing I don't do videos often. Overall I think you'll still enjoy the iPhone.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
giphy.gif

Whoa I never thought I’d see the day!! LOL. Welcome brother!!

The thing that iOS has always had over Android almost from the beginning was the backup situation it has always been so seamless.

I’ve used some of the big Android flagships for two to three days before I’d get fed up and go back to my iPhone. The biggest thing for me was like you said the quality of the apps, it seriously does feel like app development is an afterthought on Android.

My bank app just had an update and has implemented the horrible hamburger menu from Android which I absolutely hate.

Also when using the S10+ earlier this year I couldn’t believe how horrible Samsung’s and Androids implementation of keyboard shortcuts is. iOS has had this nailed down for so long.

Welcome aboard brother now you just need an  watch.

The Pixels backup and restore is practically seamless now too. Oh man the keyboard is another thing that annoys me so much with iOS. Really wish they'd implement the iPad keyboard where you can swipe down on the keys for numbers and symbols.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Glad you found what works for you. Although I do disagree with the whole apps being better on iOS argument. I honestly don't see what people are seeing when they say an app works better on iOS vs the Android counterpart. Yeah maybe some UI differences but that's about it. Not enough to call one better over the other.

But in any case glad to see you here too. I often switch back and forth but can't get with iOS as my daily primarily because of how iOS handles notifications and files. It's almost there as a centralized file system but still falls short enough to annoy me. And you still can't open a file with any app of your choosing it still limits you.

The Pro Max is definitely the best iPhone to date and is my current favorite. Battery life is killer! Photos are on par and can go head to head with the Pixel 4 and video is definitely better. Good thing I don't do videos often. Overall I think you'll still enjoy the iPhone.

Snapchat is a prime example. It's a hot ******* mess on Android. Choppy, low quality photos, glitchy, constantly freezing. This is on every android flagship. Snapchat is definitely iOS first.

It's no secret that many Android apps are just ****ty ports of an original app made for iOS.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Snapchat is a prime example. It's a hot ******* mess on Android. Choppy, low quality photos, glitchy, constantly freezing. This is on every android flagship. Snapchat is definitely iOS first.

It's no secret that many Android apps are just ****ty ports of an original app made for iOS.
Ah ok. I don't use Snapchat.

love4speechless

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
Facebook is another example of an app being rubbish on android to iOS. Features are completely missing on the android app. I remember when I got my S7e to play around with a couple of months ago features that I used on a daily basis on my iPhone were not available. The apps are also slow and clunky on android in comparison to iOS.

My first smart phones were android. Samsung S2 and Samsung S4. 18 months into my contract on the S4 I got the dreaded charger port issue where it wouldn’t charge. Those closest to me were on Apple software so I decided to try my own Apple device and got the 5c. I automatically missed the sliding feature of the keyboard. This was even before the days where the app Swype was available on iOS which I used to use religiously. I think it was iOS 10 where Swype and Swiftkey were available to use on iOS.

Since then I have had a 6+, Samsung S6, Samsung S7e, iPhone 8+, xs Max and now 11 pro. Apple implemented all the features that kept me wanting to stay with android though they still have a lot of catching up to do with widgets compared to android imo. But now I’m solely an iPhone user for my mobile phones

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I've always flip flopped as well, I like new shiny things LOL. This year alone I've had the XS max then the S10+, then went back to the Max, then to the Note 10+, Now with the 11 pro Max. While doing all the phone swapping, I also switched from the series 4 watch (twice) to the galaxy watch (twice), finally to the series 5 watch with the 11 pro Max. After doing all this switching, it became a real hassle trying to sell and upgrade the phones each time. I learned that even though Apple may not have some of the customization's that Android has (icon changing, 3rd party launchers for animations, Theme colors), Apple is more polished and works a lot better on a daily bases. Like when you get a security code sent in SMS, apple copies it from the text message to the app for you, where android makes you remember and type it out. It may not seem like a big deal, but its little things like that, that I like. Also if there is a bug with Apple its normally patched in a short amount of time, where as Android has to fix it then send it to the carrier for them to review. Last big thing is that I'll point out is Apple stores, if I have a problem I can take a small drive and have apple look at it, no need to call some call center and get the run around.

Hope you enjoy the 11 Pro Max, and just enjoy the simple things that Apple does really well.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That is,

Here are some of the reasons I was staunch against Apple and how that has changed over the years.

Whenever a new iPhone came out, the first test I would do, one that always failed, was to see how quickly I could rip an mp4 from YouTube, rip an mp3 from a different YouTube video and then combine them in my own creation in imovie.

For several reasons, this always seemed impossible - until I tired it on the iPhone 11 Pro Max today. It was instantaneous and easy - just like in my android devices.

I was always into rooting and modding, and sideloading and all of that good stuff which was pretty straight forward, and, seemingly encouraged, on Android. This, as you know, wasn't the case, and still isn't for the most part, with Apple.

The reason I would do this, however, was to get the phone to work in the way that I thought it should right out of the box. As the years went by, the android OS matured a lot and I find no need to root or side load or any of that. So, the desire to 'tinker' is gone. That will make my possible switch to IOS Easier, I believe.

I have always owned 2 or 3 flagships a year on Android. Recently, I have stuck with the Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, and Pixel 4. My current phone is the the Pixel 4XL and the OnePlus 7 Pro (12GB of RAM and 256GB of Storage). The reason for the pixels was the absolutely outstanding, lag-free photos. Again, the iPhone 11 Pro Max has now caught up, and some would even say, surpassed the pixel in the photo department now.

Storage used to be an issue with the iPhone... But now with 256GB or 512GB, especially when paired with Google Photos, that's plenty!

Another reason I avoided the iPhone was because of the dumpster fire (formerly) known as iTunes. However, now I never have to connect my phone to a computer at all to get up and running. No iTunes needed.... That was a big plus for me with Android - one Gmail login to rule them all!

This year, I feel that the pixel 4 value was simply not there... Way overpriced for sub-par hardware.

Now that Android phones are fast and powerful, the unpolished state of the apps is painfully obvious. It's like the apps are all 2 or 3 years behind in interface integration. Plus, all the premium apps are made with iOS in mind and then haphazardly ported over to Android.

So, with all that being said, I'm sick of settling with the overpriced, under-valued Pixel 4XL, and I believe I'm ready to come over to to a device and os that didn't take a ton of shortcuts as well as decide to drop features while still charging a premium price *cough* Pixel 4XL *cough*.

I'm the biggest Android Fanboy you'll ever meet as well as the biggest hater of Apple you'll ever meet. That being said, I'm ready to come over to the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Don’t think you would regret it op, and your far from alone.

Apple nailed it with the iPhone 11 pro max this year, coming from android your going to appreciate the build quality and the stainless steel chassis on the pro Max.

Guess only thing for you to decide is the color.

Come on over @KillerQ ...We will be glad to have yet another Android "FanBoy"...LOL

Is that the truth
Seems to be quite a few of android users switching this year.

Edit: In 2019 it’s not really a debate anymore, apps definitely are better on iOS versus android, so are software updates, and privacy features.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I believe today is 14 days, since I traded my Note 10+ (which I still miss), for an iPhone 11 Pro Max.
All in all, I am happy, in particular, with the seamless integration between my iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch.

Two things I would love to change:
- text resize for the ENTIRE device (not relying on developers to build the options into the app)
- allow me to place my icons WHERE I WANT, since it is my device that I paid for

Sorry, shouting, because I just had a moment. I am just passionate about that second point :)

I understand your frustration but you did not pay for a device where you can do those things. (You get used to it after a while)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I believe today is 14 days, since I traded my Note 10+ (which I still miss), for an iPhone 11 Pro Max.
All in all, I am happy, in particular, with the seamless integration between my iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch.

- text resize for the ENTIRE device (not relying on developers to build the options into the app)
- allow me to place my icons WHERE I WANT, since it is my device that I paid for

Sorry, shouting, because I just had a moment. I am just passionate about that second point :)

I understand. I also have similar complaints about Android too. Enjoy.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Well when I get SMS verification code, it does not copy or even suggest copying it in app it is needed. Not sure why?
Got latest iOS and phone..

garment69

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
As a former Android stalwart I can relate to everything you are talking about. I made the switch for good three years ago with the X. The real magic when changing over is not just the IPhone. Apple has built an ecosystem that is unrivaled. The way the IPhone, IPad, watch, AirPods, backups, iMessage, iCloud etc etc all work together is a thing of beauty. Totally underrated IMO.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I have been using the iPhone 11 Pro Max for about 5 days now. This machine makes my Pixel 4XL and the Samsung Note 10 feel like children’s toys.

Wow

davidnc

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
That is,

I was also into Rooting and Roming until 2013 on android. Since 2016 the Nexus then Pixel's have been my only android phones.
I have had a couple iphones the OG SE and the Xr.
I prefer to have one of each an Apple and an Android phone. I may get the iphone 12 next year to upgrade the Xr

For me some of my apps work better on Android and some work better on Apple.

For example "Radar Now "works far better on Android, you can zoom in alot more On Apple you can not so I use "My Radar" on it
Fitbit syncs a little better on Apple then it does on Android but not a huge difference.Since I also have my new Apple watch its slowly replacing my Fitbit
I dont use Snap Chat.

But overall I like using them both (operating systems)

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Long time Android fan here also. Just switched from the Note 9 to 11 Pro Max. I too have an issue with the way iOS deals with apps. Leaving every freaking one on the screen. But as luck would have it for some reason I had no iCloud backups from my last iPhone. An 8 Plus from last December. So I had to start as a new phone. I only loaded the apps I’d use and took the time to organize them into folders. It took more time to decide what apps to group together and what to call the folder as it did moving the actual apps. Now I use the search function to find apps. I do miss true widgets. Give me a gmail widget and all would be good. That’s the main one I use. I see I’m not the only Android fan coming over to the walled garden of iOS.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I do have to agree about putting your icons where you want to. I don’t miss anything else about Android, except for that...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2