Verizon Unlimited customers:Get a year of Disney+ for free
    I’m about a week in to my new phone and so far so good. I’m trying something new this time. In the past, I’ve always been a “stay at 100% charge as often as possible” kind of guy. That usually meant overnights on the Charger. I’ve read all the articles over the years about the 80-20 approach to lithium batteries and I’m actually following that path with the 11 pro max to see if it’s better in the long run. Just curious as to everyone else’s charging practices. Honestly, I find it kind of annoying to take off charge at 80% and it’s killing my OCD, but if it’s really better in the long run for the battery, I guess I can live with it.
    10-26-2019 10:38 AM
    With the exception of the first few days after purchasing my new iPhone, I’m back to charging overnight like I’ve been doing for years. I can easily get through an entire day on a single charge.
    10-26-2019 10:47 AM
    I don't have a new phone, but I usually put my iPhone on the charger when it gets just below 20%.
    10-26-2019 11:00 AM
    I've had a xs max and never charged it over night. In one year I went from 100 % battery health to 99%. I charged it when nessesary but never to 100%, more likely around 80-85%. My fought er bought a xs at the same time as me with my Max and she charge over night everyday, here battery health after a year was 93%

I'm not a fanaticer in battery but I try to get as much as possible out of my batteries. I charge my new pro max the same way as my max
    10-26-2019 11:51 AM
    I run mine from 100% to low like 15% or lower then charge it back up overnight. Right now I'm getting 2 full days worth of battery life. I'm on an every year upgrade plan so I don't really worry about battery drop off. Even if I was upgrading every 2 years then I still wouldn't worry. But for those that keep the phone for 3 or more years then yes maybe it would be a good practice to do the 80-20 charging.
    love4speechless likes this.
    10-26-2019 01:29 PM
    I charged my XS every night and it was still at 100% battery health when I traded it in one year later. My husband is at 99% health, he’s plugged in all the time. As I said in another thread I think it’s a crapshoot. I continue to charge nightly with my Pro Max with optimization setting on. Maybe because I’m not a power user but I just don’t worry about it.
    dmoskaluk likes this.
    10-26-2019 01:30 PM
    I charge whenever I can
    dmoskaluk likes this.
    10-26-2019 04:52 PM
    I use to only charge over night. However, CarPlay changed that. I’ve got about a 45 minute commute each way. Wish I had Wireless CarPlay but I’m stuck charging at least 45 minutes twice a day while driving.
    allipki and Lee_Bo like this.
    10-26-2019 05:17 PM
    My wife has had her 8Plus since March 2018.... Average use ( no gaming though) phone rarely below 85 % charge. Overnight charge every night. , wireless about a year - Battery health just recently went from 99 - 98%. Can't be all bad IMHO.
    10-26-2019 06:09 PM
    I'm glad the Pro Max battery lasts me a whole day (first device ever) and I hate lightning cables so I always wireless charge over night.
    aximtreo and dmoskaluk like this.
    10-29-2019 09:31 AM
    I'm glad the Pro Max battery lasts me a whole day (first device ever) and I hate lightning cables so I always wireless charge over night.
    Having a charge pad on your desk or somewhere else where you spend time can be very handy too!!
    aximtreo and strikeIII like this.
    10-29-2019 09:34 AM
    Having a charge pad on your desk or somewhere else where you spend time can be very handy too!!
    Definitely, I have plenty of wireless chargers in different locations.
    dmoskaluk likes this.
    10-29-2019 09:39 AM
    With the exception of the first few days after purchasing my new iPhone, I’m back to charging overnight like I’ve been doing for years. I can easily get through an entire day on a single charge.
    Exactly this. This charging process has served me well and my battery health on my Xs Max after one year of what I would consider above average usage was at 97% last I checked before trading it in.
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 10-29-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Just_Me_D and dmoskaluk like this.
    10-29-2019 09:43 AM
    Definitely, I have plenty of wireless chargers in different locations.
    1 each bedside / 1 beside Hammock stand / Desk / TV table on other patio. - I'll replace the 2 bedsides with Anker 'somewhat vertical' stands which will prevent phone from slipping away from sweet-spot, next time I'm north...
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 10-29-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Just_Me_D and strikeIII like this.
    10-29-2019 10:10 AM
    Nightstand charger, CarPlay in CRV, AC/DC/Solar charger in my laptop bag. I still plug mine in when I go to bed and take off when I leave the house.
    10-29-2019 11:24 AM
    I charge overnight dating back to using an analog Motorola StarTac in 1999 all the way until now. If I'm at my desk at work, I set it on the wireless charging pad. If I'm in my car and happen to be using CarPlay, it's charging. I don't think about this stuff much at all.
    10-29-2019 01:14 PM
    Glad you went back to StarTac as I did as well. Often had ( when I was a Captain) flight attendents worried about hotel wake-ups ( horribly unreliable) so I said 'use the alarm on your phone'. It also ie "simply look at your phone," solved the mysteries of time zones....Then came the 'battery questions' so I tried ( that's all I could do) to coach a mantra of 'head on pillow-phone on charger'. It never let me down and has really improved with newer technologies, although was also valid then.
    10-29-2019 02:20 PM
    I charged over night with my Xs and all my phones before. But with my pro max I charge while I get ready for work in the morning and not again until the next morning. It will still have anywhere from 50% to 30% left when I charge in the morning and it is seldom charged to 100% when I grab it and leave for work. I find I never even think about the battery with this phone. It’s awesome.
    10-29-2019 08:45 PM
    I’ve always charged my phones overnight. Now I’m using a wireless charger with my XR and charge every night without worrying about it.
    10-29-2019 09:25 PM
    I have wireless chargers on my nightstand and in my office so my phone spends a good amount of time on those. It also charges in my car as I religiously use CarPlay while I’m driving. I don’t worry about how much time my phone spends on a charger. As long as I don’t run out of juice I’m fine. I’ve yet to kill a battery but I’m also an annual upgrader, for what it’s worth.
    10-29-2019 09:38 PM
    I have wireless chargers on my nightstand and in my office so my phone spends a good amount of time on those. It also charges in my car as I religiously use CarPlay while I’m driving. I don’t worry about how much time my phone spends on a charger. As long as I don’t run out of juice I’m fine. I’ve yet to kill a battery but I’m also an annual upgrader, for what it’s worth.
    I'm not much of a 'betting type' but I'd wager that my battery habits & longevity / life is not far different than yours...and I'm FAR from an annual upgrader Here in the tropics, $2000+ ( B'dos dollar )annual upgrades are for the rich only, or those who pretend or pose to be, often at the expense of things like needfuls & rent
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 10-30-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    10-30-2019 08:58 AM
    I’m about a week in to my new phone and so far so good. I’m trying something new this time. In the past, I’ve always been a “stay at 100% charge as often as possible” kind of guy. That usually meant overnights on the Charger. I’ve read all the articles over the years about the 80-20 approach to lithium batteries and I’m actually following that path with the 11 pro max to see if it’s better in the long run. Just curious as to everyone else’s charging practices. Honestly, I find it kind of annoying to take off charge at 80% and it’s killing my OCD, but if it’s really better in the long run for the battery, I guess I can live with it.
    Any experiments like this out skewed due to the battery being bigger and Apples aggressive thermal management. We’re likely looking at a 3 year battery life here.

With that said charging to 100% isn’t bad. It’s killing the phone that is bad. Charging from 0 to 100% is considered 1 charge cycle. Modern batteries are typically rated for 300-600 charge cycles before capacity is reduced under 80%. Given that information we can deduce that for my usages my battery will last approximately 1200 days before I notice any degradation.

I charge only when needed and usually every night if it’s below 50% when I go to bed.
    10-30-2019 10:38 AM
    I have had my Pro Max since last Saturday. This is my first iPhone since the 6 came out. I am a hard core Android guy.

I can’t wrap my head around this battery life I’m getting.

I full charged it overnight when I got it, and I haven’t had to since.

At the end of the first day, it was around 78% (taken off at 8am). Did not charge it that night. It was 74% the next morning. I drove to work with it plugged into USB using CarPlay. It was full again after my 40 min drive to work.

End of work day, 78%. Drove home plugged in using CarPlay again. Got home, and it was full. Used in the evening, and did not charge overnight.

Rinse and repeat.... all... week.... long.

I can’t get over how phenomenal this battery life is.

On my previous S10+ with the same usage, and same USB slow charge when driving, I was around 45% at the end of the day, and I charged it overnight, every night.
    tekjunkie28, mach1man and aximtreo like this.
    10-31-2019 10:29 PM
    I have had my Pro Max since last Saturday. This is my first iPhone since the 6 came out. I am a hard core Android guy.

I can’t wrap my head around this battery life I’m getting.

I full charged it overnight when I got it, and I haven’t had to since.

At the end of the first day, it was around 78% (taken off at 8am). Did not charge it that night. It was 74% the next morning. I drove to work with it plugged into USB using CarPlay. It was full again after my 40 min drive to work.

End of work day, 78%. Drove home plugged in using CarPlay again. Got home, and it was full. Used in the evening, and did not charge overnight.

Rinse and repeat.... all... week.... long.

I can’t get over how phenomenal this battery life is.

On my previous S10+ with the same usage, and same USB slow charge when driving, I was around 45% at the end of the day, and I charged it overnight, every night.
    I don’t have CarPlay in my car but I only charge the phone every 2 days. It’s so nice, I’m averaging 3 and half to 4 hours of screen on time per day
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    11-01-2019 01:02 AM
    I don’t have CarPlay in my car ������ but I only charge the phone every 2 days. It’s so nice, I’m averaging 3 and half to 4 hours of screen on time per day
    I’m loving it so far. The reason I switched back is that Apple finally made cameras that don’t suck (I’m spoiled from owning the Pixel 2XL and 3XL, and the S10+ which actually isn’t as good as this 11 Pro Max).
    mach1man likes this.
    11-01-2019 01:05 AM
28 12