Charging practices

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I’m about a week in to my new phone and so far so good. I’m trying something new this time. In the past, I’ve always been a “stay at 100% charge as often as possible” kind of guy. That usually meant overnights on the Charger. I’ve read all the articles over the years about the 80-20 approach to lithium batteries and I’m actually following that path with the 11 pro max to see if it’s better in the long run. Just curious as to everyone else’s charging practices. Honestly, I find it kind of annoying to take off charge at 80% and it’s killing my OCD, but if it’s really better in the long run for the battery, I guess I can live with it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of the first few days after purchasing my new iPhone, I’m back to charging overnight like I’ve been doing for years. I can easily get through an entire day on a single charge.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had a xs max and never charged it over night. In one year I went from 100 % battery health to 99%. I charged it when nessesary but never to 100%, more likely around 80-85%. My fought er bought a xs at the same time as me with my Max and she charge over night everyday, here battery health after a year was 93%

I'm not a fanaticer in battery but I try to get as much as possible out of my batteries. I charge my new pro max the same way as my max

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I run mine from 100% to low like 15% or lower then charge it back up overnight. Right now I'm getting 2 full days worth of battery life. I'm on an every year upgrade plan so I don't really worry about battery drop off. Even if I was upgrading every 2 years then I still wouldn't worry. But for those that keep the phone for 3 or more years then yes maybe it would be a good practice to do the 80-20 charging.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I charged my XS every night and it was still at 100% battery health when I traded it in one year later. My husband is at 99% health, he’s plugged in all the time. As I said in another thread I think it’s a crapshoot. I continue to charge nightly with my Pro Max with optimization setting on. Maybe because I’m not a power user but I just don’t worry about it.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I use to only charge over night. However, CarPlay changed that. I’ve got about a 45 minute commute each way. Wish I had Wireless CarPlay but I’m stuck charging at least 45 minutes twice a day while driving.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
My wife has had her 8Plus since March 2018.... Average use ( no gaming though) phone rarely below 85 % charge. Overnight charge every night. , wireless about a year - Battery health just recently went from 99 - 98%. Can't be all bad IMHO.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad the Pro Max battery lasts me a whole day (first device ever) and I hate lightning cables so I always wireless charge over night.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
With the exception of the first few days after purchasing my new iPhone, I’m back to charging overnight like I’ve been doing for years. I can easily get through an entire day on a single charge.

Exactly this. This charging process has served me well and my battery health on my Xs Max after one year of what I would consider above average usage was at 97% last I checked before trading it in.

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Definitely, I have plenty of wireless chargers in different locations.

1 each bedside / 1 beside Hammock stand / Desk / TV table on other patio. - I'll replace the 2 bedsides with Anker 'somewhat vertical' stands which will prevent phone from slipping away from sweet-spot, next time I'm north...

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Nightstand charger, CarPlay in CRV, AC/DC/Solar charger in my laptop bag. I still plug mine in when I go to bed and take off when I leave the house.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I charge overnight dating back to using an analog Motorola StarTac in 1999 all the way until now. If I'm at my desk at work, I set it on the wireless charging pad. If I'm in my car and happen to be using CarPlay, it's charging. I don't think about this stuff much at all.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Glad you went back to StarTac as I did as well. Often had ( when I was a Captain) flight attendents worried about hotel wake-ups ( horribly unreliable) so I said 'use the alarm on your phone'. It also ie "simply look at your phone," solved the mysteries of time zones....Then came the 'battery questions' so I tried ( that's all I could do) to coach a mantra of 'head on pillow-phone on charger'. It never let me down and has really improved with newer technologies, although was also valid then.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I charged over night with my Xs and all my phones before. But with my pro max I charge while I get ready for work in the morning and not again until the next morning. It will still have anywhere from 50% to 30% left when I charge in the morning and it is seldom charged to 100% when I grab it and leave for work. I find I never even think about the battery with this phone. It’s awesome.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always charged my phones overnight. Now I’m using a wireless charger with my XR and charge every night without worrying about it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have wireless chargers on my nightstand and in my office so my phone spends a good amount of time on those. It also charges in my car as I religiously use CarPlay while I’m driving. I don’t worry about how much time my phone spends on a charger. As long as I don’t run out of juice I’m fine. I’ve yet to kill a battery but I’m also an annual upgrader, for what it’s worth.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox