Creaking/pop noise on back glaas... Update

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
So I was switching cases today and was admiring the beautiful green back, then noticed that when I press on the Apple logo it makes a pop/creak noise. Does anyone else’s? Wondering there is something wrong with mine?

Last edited:

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Creaking/pop noise on back glass

Checked mine an no go on my logo. Take it back to Apple for an exchange.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

So I was switching cases today and was admiring the beautiful green back, then noticed that when I press on the Apple logo it makes a pop/creak noise. Does anyone else’s? Wondering there is something wrong with mine?

What would cause you to press on the  logo?

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

What would cause you to press on the  logo?

I was just looking over my phone and admiring the midnight green. When I was holding it I wiped down the back of the phone to get finger prints and dust off before I put it back in a case. That’s when I noticed. I though I was crazy until I could replicate it each time by pressing on the Apple logo.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Ok so you made me take off my Apple Leather Case and check...LOL. Nope, I'm not experiencing any pop/creaking noises when I press the  logo. This is not normal and I would definitely have it checked.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I was just looking over my phone and admiring the midnight green. When I was holding it I wiped down the back of the phone to get finger prints and dust off before I put it back in a case. That’s when I noticed. I though I was crazy until I could replicate it each time by pressing on the Apple logo.

Understood...

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

Is it really that big of a deal? You keep a case on it right?

yes its a big deal, If its making noise when its not suppose to then something isn't right, which could lead to failure later on in the future. So while its under warranty I'm going to have it looked at and fixed/replaced. I do keep it in a case, I have multiple cases that I switch between, I'm just wanting it working as it should.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

yes its a big deal, If its making noise when its not suppose to then something isn't right, which could lead to failure later on in the future. So while its under warranty I'm going to have it looked at and fixed/replaced. I do keep it in a case, I have multiple cases that I switch between, I'm just wanting it working as it should.

Wonder what kind of failure that would lead to

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

Wonder what kind of failure that would lead to

what if its the back glass starting to separate in the middle, or maybe a circuit board is slightly loose. Or maybe nothing would ever happen but while its under warranty it doesn't hurt to have it checked.

I did check my co-workers iphone pro max in midnight green and his didn't make any noise. So something is up and needs looking at

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

what if its the back glass starting to separate in the middle, or maybe a circuit board is slightly loose. Or maybe nothing would ever happen but while its under warranty it doesn't hurt to have it checked.

I did check my co-workers iphone pro max in midnight green and his didn't make any noise. So something is up and needs looking at

I guarantee it’s not a loose circuit board. You would know instantly. And there’s really nothing in the iPhone that could ever be loose like that and still function.

I wonder if the logo isn’t separating. But definitely not a electronic issue.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

So a little update. I took my phone in yesterday and the Apple tech verified something was internally wrong, so I got a new phone. He thinks the noise is from the wireless charging magnet coming loose. Would explain why my phone never really charged well with wireless charging.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

So a little update. I took my phone in yesterday and the Apple tech verified something was internally wrong, so I got a new phone. He thinks the noise is from the wireless charging magnet coming loose. Would explain why my phone never really charged well with wireless charging.

Well damn I never thought about that but they are just glued on. Well good to know!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I’m so glad you got a new phone! I was wondering what was happening! Thanks for sharing your update.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
My Pro Max makes a very tiny little pop if you push on the Apple logo. Nothing to be alarmed about. It works fine and will be traded back to ATT in the fall.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
My Pro Max makes a very tiny little pop if you push on the Apple logo. Nothing to be alarmed about. It works fine and will be traded back to ATT in the fall.

To each their own, but I don't understand this mentality. We are all paying a premium price for this phone, regardless of whether its up front or through payments. To settle for anything less in the quality of the build just seems... absurd to me.