So we found out tonight that my daughter can unlock my wife’s iPhone 11 pro max with face unlock. After some research that’s a 1 in a million possibility.

Now my wife can’t pick up my daughters phone and unlock it. That’s just crazy! Just had to share.
    10-12-2019 10:44 PM
    So we found out tonight that my daughter can unlock my wife’s iPhone 11 pro max with face unlock. After some research that’s a 1 in a million possibility.

Now my wife can’t pick up my daughters phone and unlock it. That’s just crazy! Just had to share.
    If you have these enabled it will make Face ID more secure but more of a pita if when wearing sunglasses or a hat.
    Lee_Bo and Jamie Wooten like this.
    10-12-2019 11:45 PM

1 in a million, I will take those odds. as good as fingerprint is. I still prefer Face ID.
    10-13-2019 07:54 AM
    Resetting Face ID might also fix the problem. Your wife will have to set up Face ID again afterwards.
    Jamie Wooten and CellPhOneAGe like this.
    10-13-2019 08:02 AM

If your wife and daughter were able to unlock each other’s devices right after setting up Face ID, you might want to re-setup Face ID again. Face ID is constantly learning.

“To improve unlock performance and keep pace with the natural changes of your face and look, Face ID augments its stored mathematical representation over time. Upon successful unlock, Face ID may use the newly calculated mathematical representation—if its quality is sufficient—for a finite number of additional unlocks before that data is discarded. Conversely, if Face ID fails to recognize you, but the match quality is higher than a certain threshold and you immediately follow the failure by entering your passcode, Face ID takes another capture and augments its enrolled Face ID data with the newly calculated mathematical representation. This new Face ID data is discarded after a finite number of unlocks and if you stop matching against it. These augmentation processes allow Face ID to keep up with dramatic changes in your facial hair or makeup use, while minimizing false acceptance.”

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/...Guide.pdf#mn_p
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    10-13-2019 08:40 AM
    According to Apple, someone has a 1 in 50,000 chance of having a fingerprint that could open your phone. If that’s true, Face ID is more secure.
    10-13-2019 08:47 AM
    If you have these enabled it will make Face ID more secure but more of a pita if when wearing sunglasses or a hat.
    I disagree. I set up FaceID without a hat and without my magnetic clip-ons on my glasses. FaceID unlocks my device while wearing a had AND with my clip-ons.

And yes, I’ve reset FaceID and set it back up 4 times.
    10-13-2019 08:59 AM
    1 in a million, I will take those odds. as good as fingerprint is. I still prefer Face ID.
    Oh I love the Face ID. It was just a shock when my 20 year old daughter said hey mom watch this.
    taz323 and Annie_8plus like this.
    10-13-2019 09:03 AM
    Resetting Face ID might also fix the problem. Your wife will have to set up Face ID again afterwards.
    Yeah we’re gonna try that.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    10-13-2019 09:04 AM
    I disagree. I set up FaceID without a hat and without my magnetic clip-ons on my glasses. FaceID unlocks my device while wearing a had AND with my clip-ons.

And yes, I’ve reset FaceID and set it back up 4 times.
    Depends on the Sunglasses. With Require Attention enabled it will not work with the sunglasses I use.
    10-13-2019 09:12 AM
    I find Face ID very secure

At my age my face tends to droop when I sleep and when I first wake up I can’t unlock my X until I start to yawn and stretch my face

I thought it was my phone at first but after some trial and error I found that the cheeks are the tell in my identity
    10-13-2019 11:15 AM
    Oh I love the Face ID. It was just a shock when my 20 year old daughter said hey mom watch this.
    I would also have your wife set up an alternate appearance as well. I do this on my Face ID phones by using “yawning” face.
    10-13-2019 01:47 PM
    I’ll just say there is no one security method that is 100%. But I’ll take FaceID over TouchID any day.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-13-2019 05:01 PM
    I would not at all be bothered by the level of security between FID and TID, let alone we were never informed how Apple reached the quantitative conclusion of 1 in a million vs. 1 in 50,000, etc.
    The total security level of a device is determined by the weakest link in the various security chain. What about the possibility of somebody being able to hack into a passcode? What about the vulnerability of email password and credit card info saved in the device. I cannot immediately come up with a list of security vulnerabilities that is less than 1 in a million etc (that value alone is a mystery anyway), but I know there are many security vulnerabilities in any iPhone.
    So, I am not bothered at all by this security issue but more interested in a level of convenience between the two. I use Apple Pay a lot (I am in Canada and you can use Apple Pay in a rundown Chinese food place in a small town, way out of place. For that, I prefer TID. But that does not mean I am not interested in FID. I am totally open-minded. But if I am going to buy an iPhone with FID, that is certainly not because of FID. My daughter bought an 11 Pro, and am (supposed to be :-) getting feedback from her. I am currently using the 8.
    10-13-2019 07:14 PM

How often does your daughter use your wife’s iPhone? If she uses it quite a bit then is it possible that she “set up an alternate appearance” in the Face ID and Passcode settings?
    10-13-2019 07:23 PM
    How often does your daughter use your wife’s iPhone? If she uses it quite a bit then is it possible that she “set up an alternate appearance” in the Face ID and Passcode settings?
    No, we actually just got the phones about a week ago or so. It was just a random thing, picked up the phone and was like “wow”. Not a big deal, it just took us by surprise. Just wonder how often it happens to anyone else. lol.
    10-13-2019 10:19 PM
    No, we actually just got the phones about a week ago or so. It was just a random thing, picked up the phone and was like “wow”. Not a big deal, it just took us by surprise. Just wonder how often it happens to anyone else. lol.
    When our teenage our nieces got their brand new XS iPhones last year, we were not at all surprised when they figured out right at the get-go that they could open each others' iPhones. They weren't happy about this, because of a teenager's typical need for privacy and the ever-present sibling rivalry bs that they. keep alive and well. When considering which phone to get at the time, they were leery about FID, but they wanted the latest and greatest! It's really not been an issue, because they guard their phones with their lives!
    10-14-2019 12:02 PM
    That kind of makes sense if it's a new device. FaceID's accuracy improves over time as we use the device. If your wife and daughter look alike, it's likely their similarities are indistinguishable by FaceID but that should change as your wife uses the device more and it "learns" her appearance better.
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    10-14-2019 12:16 PM
    I'm not too worried about someone else being able to unlock my device. I have a face what will make an onion cry.
    10-14-2019 02:43 PM
    I'm not too worried about someone else being able to unlock my device. I have a face what will make an onion cry.
    10-14-2019 08:59 PM
    Our youngest son can open my wife’s iPhone with Face ID. She can also open his with Face ID. I think it is funny as heck though, If someone can unlock my phone to steal my identity, well they have a lot of free time.
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    10-15-2019 09:42 PM