Two iPhones

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’m going from using one iPhone for work and personal use to 2 iPhones. If I forward the calls from each iPhone to the other will every call on both lines ring on both phones?

Also, if I have iMessage on iCloud will all messages including sms go to both phones?

And finally, will the work phone have the ability to start an iMessage from the personal phone’s number ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m going from using one iPhone for work and personal use to 2 iPhones. If I forward the calls from each iPhone to the other will every call on both lines ring on both phones?
Unless the phone number is the same for both devices, the answer should be no.

Also, if I have iMessage on iCloud will all messages including sms go to both phones?
If the same Apple ID will be used for iMessage on both device then the iMessages should display on both, but the SMS messages will should on display on the device that they were sent to.

And finally, will the work phone have the ability to start an iMessage from the personal phone’s number ?

If the personal phone number appears in the Messages settings on the work phone then you should be able to receive and reply using that particular number.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’m guess my first question is actually if you forward calls from one iPhone to another does the original phone ring AND forward the call to the 2nd phone or does just the 2nd phone ring?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I’m guess my first question is actually if you forward calls from one iPhone to another does the original phone ring AND forward the call to the 2nd phone or does just the 2nd phone ring?

If you forward A to B and someone calls A, then only B will ring.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Just use the dual SIM feature so you can use both numbers on one device.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I’m going from using one iPhone for work and personal use to 2 iPhones.

My company did that to me about a year ago. They decided to stop letting me expense part of my cell phone bill and gave me a work phone. I just leave it on my desk when I go home. And my stress level dropped drastically.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
My company did that to me about a year ago. They decided to stop letting me expense part of my cell phone bill and gave me a work phone. I just leave it on my desk when I go home. And my stress level dropped drastically.

Exactly what just happened to me.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
They gave me a Samsung S7. It’s ok. I bought a gently used Red iPhone 8 on eBay but changed my mind before it shipped. Decided to stick with an Android since it’s been a while since I’ve had an android flagship. Picked up a sealed S10e for a great price.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a personal iPhone 11 Max and a work iPhone 8. Just a FYI, you cannot do a dual SIM needs to be on the same account is what Verizon told me. Maybe Verizon could convert my personal line to an e-SIM and that could work...

BUT I keep phones separate, it keeps my work and personal lives separate. I have to have my work phone on me at all times, but when I get home, it's not my focus. My personal phone does not have my work email or anything like that on it...for my own sanity.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I’m also not required to “be available” after hours so it stays on my desk at work when I leave.

Hope it works out for you.

Out of curiosity,never having been in that position myself: Do companies that require their staff to “be available” pay the premium that such a request obviously requires ?
I know many drinking men who don’t answer the phone at all after having left work for half an hour, just in case somebody gets told the truth !

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity,never having been in that position myself: Do companies that require their staff to “be available” pay the premium that such a request obviously requires ?

Depends on the company, but here in the USA, no. Most of the time it's part of the job description before you apply. I could go to work for another company making twice what I'm making but I'd also have all the stress and headaches. I choose a stress free job. :)

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a personal iPhone 11 Max and a work iPhone 8. Just a FYI, you cannot do a dual SIM needs to be on the same account is what Verizon told me. Maybe Verizon could convert my personal line to an e-SIM and that could work...

That's definitely not true. You can have a line from two different carriers on one device. I had a Tmobile line and an AT&T also had two AT&T lines from two different accounts on my iPhone at one point. I don't think Verizon can control what other line you can put on your device. But yeah if Verizon is your primary number or carrier then you can put that on the eSIM and put a physical SIM from another account.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

BUT I keep phones separate, it keeps my work and personal lives separate. I have to have my work phone on me at all times, but when I get home, it's not my focus. My personal phone does not have my work email or anything like that on it...for my own sanity.

This describes my 2 phone approach perfectly. I’m actually enjoying having 2 phones.