iPhone 11 Pro Max - AT&T - Verizon - T Mobile - Same Phones?

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Aren't all iPhone 11 's the same phone? Just wondering as Best Buy says they have the AT&T version but not the Verizon version.

When I purchased mine at Best Buy she just pulled out a sealed phone and gave me a Verizon sim card.

Is there any difference at all in the iPhone hardware between carriers?

Just something I was wondering.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If there was no sim card actually present inside the phone then you got a sim-free unlocked version and they gave you a Verizon sim card. Even better.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy (and all re-seller iPhones from places such as Target, Walmart, etc) are the same. But keep in mind they are bound by a US Reseller Flex Policy. This means once a sim card is inserted, they are locked to that network. This also requires the devices to be activated using a domestic SIM prior to use.

This piece of information is different because it's not a "truly unlocked" device due to this policy. Although the internals are all the same, this policy essentially prevents it from being truly unlocked.

Once you insert the SIM and it locks to whichever network that SIM belongs to, you then have to work with that carrier to get it unlocked. This can be a headache depending on the carrier and they may not always perform the unlock due to the purchase location. For example, I've seen horror stories of T-Mobile refusing to unlock the device because it wasn't sold by them and their records don't show a purchase or lock history. Your mileage may vary.

But to answer your initial question, from a hardware standpoint, the phones are all the same. Best Buy specifically doesn't have carrier specific models. They have a single model that will work across all carriers that access all SIM cards from any of the 4 major carriers or domestic prepaid carriers. Whoever told you they only have an "AT&T" model is lying.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Once you insert the SIM and it locks to whichever network that SIM belongs to, you then have to work with that carrier to get it unlocked. This can be a headache depending on the carrier and they may not always perform the unlock due to the purchase location. For example, I've seen horror stories of T-Mobile refusing to unlock the device because it wasn't sold by them and their records don't show a purchase or lock history. Your mileage may vary.

Not my experience (unless I’m missing something, which is totally possible). I bought a T-Mobile iPhone 11 Pro Max through iPhone Upgrade Program and switched to Verizon literally two weeks later with no issue. My dad is on my account and moved his XR less than a month after purchase as well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not my experience (unless I’m missing something, which is totally possible). I bought a T-Mobile iPhone 11 Pro Max through iPhone Upgrade Program and switched to Verizon literally two weeks later with no issue. My dad is on my account and moved his XR less than a month after purchase as well.

iPhone Upgrade Program as in purchased through Apple directly?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 11 Pro Max - AT&T - Verizon - T Mobile - Same Phones?

Right. This thread is about Best Buy specifically. The policy I referenced applies to all resellers. Apple wouldn’t be included in this. Phones purchased from Apple are fully unlocked without limitations.

Aaaah gotcha. Thanks for clarifying for me!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro