Is Car Play taking a while to connect for you?

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
One would assume, (via standard troubleshooting methods) that with the lightning ports being the same between both devices, (again that's an assumption as either device uses the same lightning cables) and with both devices using the same software, i.e. iOS 13.1.2 and finally the fact that the older of the two devices connects immediately whereas the newer device is a crap shoot as to if it will connect or not. Makes me think that the issue is with the newer devices and not our vehicle’s head unit, (Chevy MyLink). We'd need more Chevrolet owners to weight in here.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Same exact issue as OP is having. Chevy Tahoe 2018 so I assume the same MyLink system. CarPlay connected immediately with previous phones. On 11 Pro takes a while on the first try. I think it’s a GM thing.

To update here: Coincidentally after making this comment, my 11 Pro is now immediately connecting to CarPlay.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Car Play

Okay, for all those who says that car play is working fine... when you got your 11 Pro Max, did you restore from the backup of your previous iPhone or did you set it up as a new device?

I restored from iCloud backup. Haven’t had a sync problem with CarPlay in my Ford EcoSport, it has worked great!
I would say it is more a problem with the infotainment system in your Chevy, but you said your precious device worked fine in the same vehicle.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I wanted to post a quick update here. I received my new iPhone 11 Pro Max yesterday, (got Midnight Green :cool:), but before I restored it with my iPhone XS Max's backup I just activated the device and drove home with it. After the initial setup to get CarPlay working, I unplugged it and plugged it back in a few times and it connected immediately. After restoring the the new device with my XS Max's backup I tried it again, I did have to setup CarPlay again but this time I did a little more thorough testing. I shut my vehicle off and opened the door to ensure that the head unit was off Then I closed the door and restarted it and plugged in my 11 Pro Max and it connected immediately. Also, this morning when I was leaving the gym it connected immediately to my Silverado. So I think it's safe to say that the previous device was faulty.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well now my device is being wonky with CarPlay again. Sometimes immediately, sometimes requires work. I’m just going to ride it out until the next software update.

By the way, I’ve been through two different 11 Pro’s with the CarPlay issue.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I've noticed after having to setup my phone back up twice now that even though I'm restoring from a backup... not all things are restored. It's a pain in the rear! Anyway, good luck.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Well now my device is being wonky with CarPlay again. Sometimes immediately, sometimes requires work. I’m just going to ride it out until the next software update.

By the way, I’ve been through two different 11 Pro’s with the CarPlay issue.

After having my replacement iPhone 11 Pro Max for about two days, the connection issues started back. Just like you mentioned, sometimes just unplug the lightning connector and plug it back and CarPlay works other times I've had to shut the truck off and start it back up before it will connect. At this point I guess I'm going to have to either wait until something gets addressed by some or Chevrolet or return the phone and just use my XS Max because it will connect every time without fuss.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Here's another update on this issue. Since updating to iOS 13.2 it seems the issue has been resolved. I'm really not having any other issues with CarPlay. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's another update on this issue. Since updating to iOS 13.2 it seems the issue has been resolved. I'm really not having any other issues with CarPlay. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Thank you for the update, and on behalf of those who replied, you’re welcome...