Is Car Play taking a while to connect for you?

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
So my new iPhone 11 Pro Max is very SLOW when connecting to my 2016 Silverado's infotainment center to start car play. My XS Max would connect and start car play pretty darn quickly but this new device sometimes has taken up to 5 minutes to connect. The things I've done in troubleshooting are, deleting my devices in my infotainment center, deleting my Silverado from car play on the new phone, restarted the phone, and of course updated to iOS 13.1. To be fair it was approaching the 5+ minute mark before the update, now it still randomly takes up to 2-3 minutes to connect. I'm going to try a new lighting cable, (an official apple one). Other than that I'm at a loss. Maybe restoring the phone and instead of loading the backup that came from my XS Max, setting the device up as a new phone. Has anyone else experienced this?

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Car Play

Have not encountered this. Works fine on my Honda Civic 2018. I have the 11 pro max using public beta version 13.1

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Car Play

For the most part, CarPlay connects immediately and sometimes it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, but I have wireless CarPlay. On my previous vehicle where CarPlay worked via cable, it connected almost immediately.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

Okay, for all those who says that car play is working fine... when you got your 11 Pro Max, did you restore from the backup of your previous iPhone or did you set it up as a new device?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I am thinking about not using CarPlay and switching to BlueTooth in my car so I can use wireless charging and not have to worry about cables.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

My car has wireless and bluetooth which is what is needed for wireless CarPlay, but the manufacturer needs to update the OS in the car to enable it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

My car has wireless and bluetooth which is what is needed for wireless CarPlay, but the manufacturer needs to update the OS in the car to enable it.

Oh that’s horrible. Manufacturers are horrible with updating built in MMEs.
Hopefully Apple will make it possible soon to update the CarPlay enabled device in the car soon via iPhone.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

My 11 Pro Max was restored from backup (7 Plus) and connects to CarPlay (Alpine head unit) almost immediately. It connected the same with the 7 Plus.

The difference in cost from the head unit I got to one with wireless carplay was almost $500 so I didn't go with wireless carplay.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Okay, for all those who says that car play is working fine... when you got your 11 Pro Max, did you restore from the backup of your previous iPhone or did you set it up as a new device?

I set up my iPhone 11 Pro Max as a new device.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Car Play

Yeah nothing I’ve tried short of restoring my device has worked. I drove into town this afternoon and for the entire 5-7 mins it never connected. (Once again my XS Max would connect every time without issue) I called Apple and they basically said love with it until further updates and improvements come out.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

I wanted to give a little update. I deleted my iPhone from my vehicle and deleted my vehicle from the iPhone, it connected almost immediately after that on the first try. Since then it’s been hit or miss. Sometimes I plug into my vehicle and it connects right away and other times it takes me unplugging and reconnecting it before it connects. Who knows?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I wanted to give a little update. I deleted my iPhone from my vehicle and deleted my vehicle from the iPhone, it connected almost immediately after that on the first try. Since then it’s been hit or miss. Sometimes I plug into my vehicle and it connects right away and other times it takes me unplugging and reconnecting it before it connects. Who knows?

Is the charging port clean on your phone? Make sure there is no dust / lint in it.
Is the cable you use still good? Try another cable.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

Is the charging port clean on your phone? Make sure there is no dust / lint in it.
Is the cable you use still good? Try another cable.

The charging port is clean and regarding the cable, I swapped my current one out with the cable that can with my XS Max that connects flawlessly to my PC and got the same sporadic results. I’m starting to think that there’s an issue with the cheating port itself.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

My Pro Max connects instantly via cable to my wife's 2020 Civic. No idea if it would do it wirelessly as I haven't tried.

I set my phone up as a new device when I got it.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Here's the final update on this issue. I spoke with Apple last night and after reviewing all the troubleshooting steps I'd taken they agreed that there was some sort of hardware issue with the device. They recommended that I take it to my local Apple Store, but because I didn't purchase it directly from Apple they recommended that I take it back to Best Buy and exchange it for a new device. Best Buy didn't have any stock of 11 Pro Max's and told me if I wanted they could order me a replacement, the rub here was I'd have to turn in the device completely. I still have my XS Max so I just returned it without an exchange with the idea I'll just order a replacement at a later date. The good news is my XS Max connects with my vehicle instantly. So I think it's confirmed, a lemon.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Same exact issue as OP is having. Chevy Tahoe 2018 so I assume the same MyLink system. CarPlay connected immediately with previous phones. On 11 Pro takes a while on the first try. I think it’s a GM thing.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Same exact issue as OP is having. Chevy Tahoe 2018 so I assume the same MyLink system. CarPlay connected immediately with previous phones. On 11 Pro takes a while on the first try. I think it’s a GM thing.

The strange thing is both the XS Max and the 11 Pro Max are/ were at the same software level. Apple decided I had a charging port issue, I returned the phone and have been issuing my XS Max without any issues. I have as new 11 Pro Max on the way, expected next Tuesday. I guess if I get a repeat performance I’ll know for sure.