So I got my the pro max Friday and I am on AT&T as my cell provider. Where I live 5G is active and appears to be on my phone. But I was reading online that the iphone 11 isn't 5G capable? Did I misunderstand something? I do notice not all my my area has 5G and it goes back to LTE. Also, 5G seems to drain the batter on my phone a bit faster than normal which sucks. Can anyone explain this?
    09-23-2019 10:20 AM
    So I got my the pro max Friday and I am on AT&T as my cell provider. Where I live 5G is active and appears to be on my phone. But I was reading online that the iphone 11 isn't 5G capable? Did I misunderstand something? I do notice not all my my area has 5G and it goes back to LTE. Also, 5G seems to drain the batter on my phone a bit faster than normal which sucks. Can anyone explain this?
    The iPhone 11 pro does not have 5g. At&t has lte but in some areas they will show a 5g signal on your phone but it’s fake.
    09-23-2019 10:37 AM
    AT&T is not 5G. It’s 5Ge whatever the heck that means. It shows on my phone too but pretty much means nothing at the moment. They’re “preparing” for 5G which to my understanding won’t actually happen for a couple of years.
    09-23-2019 10:40 AM
    AT&T 5Ge = LTE. It's fake 5G. Devices (including iPhone 11) that don't have hardware capable of 5G connections are showing this. It's confusing and deceptive. 5G is not a software update. AT&T needs to be punished for doing this, IMHO.
    09-23-2019 12:00 PM
    AT&T 5Ge = LTE. It's fake 5G. Devices (including iPhone 11) that don't have hardware capable of 5G connections are showing this. It's confusing and deceptive. 5G is not a software update. AT&T needs to be punished for doing this, IMHO.
    Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you? 😂😂
    ladyc0524 and MooMooPrincess like this.
    09-24-2019 11:37 AM
    Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you?
    It’s still not 5G so still a lie. They want people to think they’re getting more than they are from other carriers and that’s not true. I say this as a loyal AT&T customer who really doesn’t give a crap about 5G.

A good article if the OP is interested in what 5Ge is and what it’s not.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5ge-exp...ews-29329.html
    tekjunkie28 likes this.
    09-24-2019 11:57 AM
    Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you?
    Except the “e” for 5GE and e for the s10e stand for completely different things. While the 10e isn’t fake 5GE is fake 5G.
    wenrob likes this.
    09-24-2019 11:59 AM
    It’s still not 5G so still a lie. They want people to think they’re getting more than they are from other carriers and that’s not true. I say this as a loyal AT&T customer who really doesn’t give a crap about 5G.

A good article if the OP is interested in what 5Ge is and what it’s not.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5ge-exp...ews-29329.html
    The article explains exactly what I said, an enhanced version of LTE. Now is it misleading? Yes because on a consumer level they naturally wouldn't know the difference unless they ask someone informative or do some research.
    09-24-2019 12:05 PM
    Except the “e” for 5GE and e for the s10e stand for completely different things. While the 10e isn’t fake 5GE is fake 5G.
    The "e" may stand for different things but the representation is the same; lighter version. Similar to how phone companies represent the larger size models phones. Plus, Max, XL. It's all the same.

It all represents the same thing.
    09-24-2019 12:08 PM
    The "e" may stand for different things but the representation is the same; lighter version. Similar to how phone companies represent the larger size models phones. Plus, Max, XL. It's all the same.

It all represents the same thing.
    Except there’s no notable speed difference between regular LTE and the 5GE. So there’s no difference between LTE and 5GE so how can they be the same and yet still be “5G lite”? It’s marketing fluff to make them seem ether and more advanced than they are.
    wenrob likes this.
    09-24-2019 12:11 PM
    AT&T is notorious for this. Back before 4G LTE came out they had what was an HSPA+ network which they designated as 4g. It was improper marketing then just as this is now. 5Ge is basically a small improvement over what 4G LTE is now but is nowhere near the speeds and capability of true “5G” technology. I hated their marketing gimmick then and I hate this one now. It is what it is though 🤷🏻*♂️
    09-24-2019 04:42 PM
    Fake advertising and stuff like this angers me. Only in the States do companies get away with it.
    tekjunkie28 likes this.
    09-24-2019 10:59 PM
    It's not 5G in any way shape or form though. And speed tests comparing AT&T's 5Ge network with T-Mobile and Verizon's LTE networks actually have it coming in slower on average.

It's a form of marketing deception and it led to the creation of threads like this due to confusion.
    jhnnyblze2000 and wenrob like this.
    09-25-2019 09:49 AM
    What's even funnier is I was with someone yesterday on ATT and their iphone XS displayed '5GE' and mine (Verizon) displayed LTE. His speed test was 11Mbps down and 5Mbps up. Mine was 209Mbps down and 46 up. Yep, that's enhanced alright! Both phones were showing full signal bars as well. The only time I've seen AT&T really go fast is in a true 5G area. We're both engineers so he already knew the '5GE' was BS but he was shocked that (Verizon) LTE was pulling over 200Mbps. I was too!
    aximtreo likes this.
    09-26-2019 08:44 PM
    What's even funnier is I was with someone yesterday on ATT and their iphone XS displayed '5GE' and mine (Verizon) displayed LTE. His speed test was 11Mbps down and 5Mbps up. Mine was 209Mbps down and 46 up. Yep, that's enhanced alright! Both phones were showing full signal bars as well. The only time I've seen AT&T really go fast is in a true 5G area. We're both engineers so he already knew the '5GE' was BS but he was shocked that (Verizon) LTE was pulling over 200Mbps. I was too!
    Yeah all depends on the area I’ve seen results the opposite in certain areas. I’ve seen speeds around the 300Mbps on both carriers in certain areas.
    scruffypig and aximtreo like this.
    09-26-2019 09:20 PM
    ATT 5Ge is LTE but it’s LTE pro. It’s packed with MIMO and 256 QAM, maximum Carrier Aggregation and basically everything that LTE has. Speeds won’t really be much better and in a 5Ge area if the speeds are slow the the only way to boost that currently is adding small cells. It comes down to a literal icon change on a phone and that’s truly the only difference.
    09-27-2019 09:09 AM
    AT&T 5Ge just got turned on near my work location. It is a little faster than the previous LTE.
    11-16-2019 07:10 AM
    5G is at least two years out before it’s available everywhere and by that time all phones will be 5G ready. T-Mobile is just starting 5G this December 6th and more to roll out monthly. So I will wait two years before I purchase my next device.
    11-16-2019 05:46 PM
    AT&T 5Ge just got turned on near my work location. It is a little faster than the previous LTE.
    [IMG=1042x2048]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191116/6a93359efe14cc6132e7996f4631f7fa.jpg[/url]
    That is just LTE pro/Advanced. It’s going to be faster because is the most advanced deployments ATT uses at the time. It has absolutely nothing to do with 5G.
    tippmann15 likes this.
    11-16-2019 05:48 PM
    That is just LTE pro/Advanced. It’s going to be faster because is the most advanced deployments ATT uses at the time. It has absolutely nothing to do with 5G.
    But it says 5G right there on my screen!
    tippmann15 likes this.
    11-16-2019 09:35 PM
    But it says 5G right there on my screen!
    Actually, it does not. It says 5Ge (the capital E is in a smaller font size)

If it was truly 5G there would be no ‘E’ next to the 5G.

Like others said, AT&T only does this to show that they’re using the latest LTE technology for their cellular data connection. It has nothing to do with the upcoming 5G.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    11-17-2019 04:48 AM
    Actually, it does not. It says 5Ge (the capital E is in a smaller font size)

If it was truly 5G there would be no ‘E’ next to the 5G.

Like others said, AT&T only does this to show that they’re using the latest LTE technology for their cellular data connection. It has nothing to do with the upcoming 5G.
    Are you sure about that??
    11-17-2019 04:31 PM
    I'm probably the minority here, but TBH I'm not for this 5G stuff and I will tell you why.
    I'm fine with LTE radio performance. It allows me to do what I need to do and the balance of battery life and speed is satisfactory.
    Instead of investing billions into 5G, perhaps better LTE coverage and increased backhaul capacity would be better for the consumer.
    Nevermind that 5G devices are going to be far more costly in the near future, need more battery capacity to work satisfactorily (and still have inferior battery life that we enjoy NOW!), be thicker and heavier. All for what? Bragging about 1+ Gbps speed tests and downloading fortnight or whatever tickles one's frenzy in a few seconds vs. a minute? Don't forget to achieve those speeds you're gonna have to be within a stone's throw from the antenna! Meanwhile your battery % drops like the gas gauge in a muscle car after doing some stoplight burnouts! :P

p.s. I can hit nearly 1Gbps speeds BOTH up AND down now on wifi hosted on a 2.5Gbps handout.
    11-17-2019 06:23 PM
    Are you sure about that??
    Yes, I am. True 5G will not have any other letter next to it.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-18-2019 06:00 AM
    I blame Apple for displaying fake network.
    phlamethrowre and scruffypig like this.
    11-18-2019 08:26 AM
32 12