5G and iphone 11

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
But it says 5G right there on my screen!

Actually, it does not. It says 5Ge (the capital E is in a smaller font size)

If it was truly 5G there would be no ‘E’ next to the 5G.

Like others said, AT&T only does this to show that they’re using the latest LTE technology for their cellular data connection. It has nothing to do with the upcoming 5G.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

Like others said, AT&T only does this to show that they’re using the latest LTE technology for their cellular data connection. It has nothing to do with the upcoming 5G.

Are you sure about that??

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably the minority here, but TBH I'm not for this 5G stuff and I will tell you why.
I'm fine with LTE radio performance. It allows me to do what I need to do and the balance of battery life and speed is satisfactory.
Instead of investing billions into 5G, perhaps better LTE coverage and increased backhaul capacity would be better for the consumer.
Nevermind that 5G devices are going to be far more costly in the near future, need more battery capacity to work satisfactorily (and still have inferior battery life that we enjoy NOW!), be thicker and heavier. All for what? Bragging about 1+ Gbps speed tests and downloading fortnight or whatever tickles one's frenzy in a few seconds vs. a minute? Don't forget to achieve those speeds you're gonna have to be within a stone's throw from the antenna! Meanwhile your battery % drops like the gas gauge in a muscle car after doing some stoplight burnouts! :p

p.s. I can hit nearly 1Gbps speeds BOTH up AND down now on wifi hosted on a 2.5Gbps handout.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

I already knew all that I just like reading all the AT&T bashing on the subject. 🤪

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Seems pretty fast for LTE
9c15429a9fc2f43fc6f2896460d2301a.jpg

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm probably the minority here, but TBH I'm not for this 5G stuff and I will tell you why.
I'm fine with LTE radio performance. It allows me to do what I need to do and the balance of battery life and speed is satisfactory.
Instead of investing billions into 5G, perhaps better LTE coverage and increased backhaul capacity would be better for the consumer.
Nevermind that 5G devices are going to be far more costly in the near future, need more battery capacity to work satisfactorily (and still have inferior battery life that we enjoy NOW!), be thicker and heavier. All for what? Bragging about 1+ Gbps speed tests and downloading fortnight or whatever tickles one's frenzy in a few seconds vs. a minute? Don't forget to achieve those speeds you're gonna have to be within a stone's throw from the antenna! Meanwhile your battery % drops like the gas gauge in a muscle car after doing some stoplight burnouts! :p

p.s. I can hit nearly 1Gbps speeds BOTH up AND down now on wifi hosted on a 2.5Gbps handout.

I don’t look at it from a device only perspective. With 5G I can actually have more options in my area for internet providers. With a 5G hotspot I can use that for my home internet.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
The article explains exactly what I said, an enhanced version of LTE. Now is it misleading? Yes because on a consumer level they naturally wouldn't know the difference unless they ask someone informative or do some research.

Here’s the thing though. LTE or Long Term Evolution has existed for years and the same thing was done by companies moving from 3G to 4G. In fact it still exists today. In the early days of 4G there were companies that were far faster and advanced than 3G but just missed the mark to be allowed to say 4G so they were allowed to use the term “Long Term Evolution” or as we know it LTE to illustrate the advancement over 3G.

Thus, even to this day networks on 4 LTE are not even true 4G. This is what AT&T has done. While AT&T is not running 5G on devices that say 5Ge, they are running at far greater speeds with network enhancements greater than 4G. The e simply stands for Evolution. Whether AT&T is trying to pass it off as true 5G is a separate issue. But 5Ge is clearly ahead of 4G or AT&T would have been fined months ago.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen