5G and iphone 11

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So I got my the pro max Friday and I am on AT&T as my cell provider. Where I live 5G is active and appears to be on my phone. But I was reading online that the iphone 11 isn't 5G capable? Did I misunderstand something? I do notice not all my my area has 5G and it goes back to LTE. Also, 5G seems to drain the batter on my phone a bit faster than normal which sucks. Can anyone explain this?

johnmed3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
So I got my the pro max Friday and I am on AT&T as my cell provider. Where I live 5G is active and appears to be on my phone. But I was reading online that the iphone 11 isn't 5G capable? Did I misunderstand something? I do notice not all my my area has 5G and it goes back to LTE. Also, 5G seems to drain the batter on my phone a bit faster than normal which sucks. Can anyone explain this?

The iPhone 11 pro does not have 5g. At&t has lte but in some areas they will show a 5g signal on your phone but it’s fake.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
AT&T is not 5G. It’s 5Ge whatever the heck that means. It shows on my phone too but pretty much means nothing at the moment. They’re “preparing” for 5G which to my understanding won’t actually happen for a couple of years.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
AT&T 5Ge = LTE. It's fake 5G. Devices (including iPhone 11) that don't have hardware capable of 5G connections are showing this. It's confusing and deceptive. 5G is not a software update. AT&T needs to be punished for doing this, IMHO.

tfitzpat03

Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
AT&T 5Ge = LTE. It's fake 5G. Devices (including iPhone 11) that don't have hardware capable of 5G connections are showing this. It's confusing and deceptive. 5G is not a software update. AT&T needs to be punished for doing this, IMHO.

Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you? 😂😂

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you?

It’s still not 5G so still a lie. They want people to think they’re getting more than they are from other carriers and that’s not true. I say this as a loyal AT&T customer who really doesn’t give a crap about 5G.

A good article if the OP is interested in what 5Ge is and what it’s not.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5ge-explained,news-29329.html

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you?

Except the “e” for 5GE and e for the s10e stand for completely different things. While the 10e isn’t fake 5GE is fake 5G.

tfitzpat03

Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
It’s still not 5G so still a lie. They want people to think they’re getting more than they are from other carriers and that’s not true. I say this as a loyal AT&T customer who really doesn’t give a crap about 5G.

A good article if the OP is interested in what 5Ge is and what it’s not.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5ge-explained,news-29329.html

The article explains exactly what I said, an enhanced version of LTE. Now is it misleading? Yes because on a consumer level they naturally wouldn't know the difference unless they ask someone informative or do some research.

tfitzpat03

Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
Except the “e” for 5GE and e for the s10e stand for completely different things. While the 10e isn’t fake 5GE is fake 5G.

The "e" may stand for different things but the representation is the same; lighter version. Similar to how phone companies represent the larger size models phones. Plus, Max, XL. It's all the same.

It all represents the same thing.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
The "e" may stand for different things but the representation is the same; lighter version. Similar to how phone companies represent the larger size models phones. Plus, Max, XL. It's all the same.

It all represents the same thing.

Except there’s no notable speed difference between regular LTE and the 5GE. So there’s no difference between LTE and 5GE so how can they be the same and yet still be “5G lite”? It’s marketing fluff to make them seem ether and more advanced than they are.

bbhybridchris

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is notorious for this. Back before 4G LTE came out they had what was an HSPA+ network which they designated as 4g. It was improper marketing then just as this is now. 5Ge is basically a small improvement over what 4G LTE is now but is nowhere near the speeds and capability of true “5G” technology. I hated their marketing gimmick then and I hate this one now. It is what it is though 🤷🏻*♂️

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually the 5Ge network is an enhanced version of LTE. Think of it as a light version of 5G. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy "S10e." You wouldn't call that fake because of the "e" would you? ????????????

It's not 5G in any way shape or form though. And speed tests comparing AT&T's 5Ge network with T-Mobile and Verizon's LTE networks actually have it coming in slower on average.

It's a form of marketing deception and it led to the creation of threads like this due to confusion.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
What's even funnier is I was with someone yesterday on ATT and their iphone XS displayed '5GE' and mine (Verizon) displayed LTE. His speed test was 11Mbps down and 5Mbps up. Mine was 209Mbps down and 46 up. Yep, that's enhanced alright! ;) Both phones were showing full signal bars as well. The only time I've seen AT&T really go fast is in a true 5G area. We're both engineers so he already knew the '5GE' was BS but he was shocked that (Verizon) LTE was pulling over 200Mbps. I was too!

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
What's even funnier is I was with someone yesterday on ATT and their iphone XS displayed '5GE' and mine (Verizon) displayed LTE. His speed test was 11Mbps down and 5Mbps up. Mine was 209Mbps down and 46 up. Yep, that's enhanced alright! ;) Both phones were showing full signal bars as well. The only time I've seen AT&T really go fast is in a true 5G area. We're both engineers so he already knew the '5GE' was BS but he was shocked that (Verizon) LTE was pulling over 200Mbps. I was too!

Yeah all depends on the area I’ve seen results the opposite in certain areas. I’ve seen speeds around the 300Mbps on both carriers in certain areas.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
ATT 5Ge is LTE but it’s LTE pro. It’s packed with MIMO and 256 QAM, maximum Carrier Aggregation and basically everything that LTE has. Speeds won’t really be much better and in a 5Ge area if the speeds are slow the the only way to boost that currently is adding small cells. It comes down to a literal icon change on a phone and that’s truly the only difference.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
AT&T 5Ge just got turned on near my work location. It is a little faster than the previous LTE.
6a93359efe14cc6132e7996f4631f7fa.jpg

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
5G is at least two years out before it’s available everywhere and by that time all phones will be 5G ready. T-Mobile is just starting 5G this December 6th and more to roll out monthly. So I will wait two years before I purchase my next device.