iPhone 11 Pro Max bricked while restoring a backup of old phone

jobe8

Sep 23, 2019
Visit site
new iPhone 11 Pro Max. Set it up from my old 6s. Went through the screen when I used my old phone camera to take a shot of the cloud/stars on the new iPhone. That went fine.

Then I wanted to restore a backup of my 6s to new phone on my computer. So connected iPhone 11 to the computer, took about 40mins to transfer over. The the phone restarted and said "swipe up to upgrade", I did, input my passcode (same as old phone). Went to a screen with apple logo and progress bar. And the progress bar went fine until about 80% the slowed down and stoped at about 99%!! Stuck there for over an hour on two occasions.

I restarted the phone, twice and same issue.

I cannot restore the phone in iTunes as I cannot turn off Find My. The device is not visible on iCloud or on my old 6s.

Any help, ideas, thoughts or similar experiences appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
new iPhone 11 Pro Max. Set it up from my old 6s. Went through the screen when I used my old phone camera to take a shot of the cloud/stars on the new iPhone. That went fine.

Then I wanted to restore a backup of my 6s to new phone on my computer. So connected iPhone 11 to the computer, took about 40mins to transfer over. The the phone restarted and said "swipe up to upgrade", I did, input my passcode (same as old phone). Went to a screen with apple logo and progress bar. And the progress bar went fine until about 80% the slowed down and stoped at about 99%!! Stuck there for over an hour on two occasions.

I restarted the phone, twice and same issue.

I cannot restore the phone in iTunes as I cannot turn off Find My. The device is not visible on iCloud or on my old 6s.

Any help, ideas, thoughts or similar experiences appreciated. Thanks

Had this same problem. Search google for iPhone recovery mode. It’s annoying, but it bypasses find my iPhone and completely wipes the software and then re-downloads it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Had the same issue with the wife's 8 Plus when it upgraded from 12.4.1 to 13. Did the whole recovery process and it wiped and loaded 13 on it but activation lock was still on so she had to log in at that screen.

It's a PITA but can be done.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

That shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to log in with your Apple ID when the device reboot.

jobe8

Sep 23, 2019
Visit site
So they replaced it at the Apple store today. Any thoughts on how I should set it up? Try again with iTunes back up or start fresh? They said they’ve been having the problem and there is no fix...I don’t think I want to wait until 13.1...isn’t that sep 30tg?

Thanks

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
So they replaced it at the Apple store today. Any thoughts on how I should set it up? Try again with iTunes back up or start fresh? They said they’ve been having the problem and there is no fix...I don’t think I want to wait until 13.1...isn’t that sep 30tg?

Thanks

The 13.1 will come out tomorrow. They moved the date earlier. I suggest that you wait tomorrow

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

I recommend you “start fresh”, as you’ve stated.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I think that releasing the 13.1 beta and then releasing the phones with 13.0 made this years phone Transition more confusing and problem filled. I have never seen so many restoring issues.

Lesson learned by Apple and the people who probably have no business running betas.

jobe8

Sep 23, 2019
Visit site
SO just an update.

Got a new replacement phone from apple store. Started up up. Set it to use an iPhone to iPhone restore instead of iTunes to iPhone. It updated to iOS 13.1 first then the restore took about 45 mins. And now fully functional. A much better experience.

Seems like a iOS 13.0 issue

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Lesson learned by Apple and the people who probably have no business running betas.

Yes, there is a bit of “I know what I’m doing” when it comes to running betas, and yes some people probably shouldn’t be running betas. I’ve seen a lot of finger pointing during the 13 beta train and I so badly wanted to comment that it probably wasn’t the beta as much as it was the operator. I’m not saying that’s the case here as I’ve had some interesting beta issues, however I am glad to be back on official.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there is a bit of “I know what I’m doing” when it comes to running betas, and yes some people probably shouldn’t be running betas. I’ve seen a lot of finger pointing during the 13 beta train and I so badly wanted to comment that it probably wasn’t the beta as much as it was the operator. I’m not saying that’s the case here as I’ve had some interesting beta issues, however I am glad to be back on official.

It’s almost funny the amount of people that install the beta then have a epic meltdown that there are issues. Some minor, some major.

I’m too am glad I’m on the official 13.1. My transition from thr xr to 11 pro max was problem free. Thank god.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711