iPadOS 15.4 Wi-Fi issue

Golfeur

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Ever since I upgraded to the latest software 15.4, my wifi has slowed. I have rebooted my iPad no change. It is the software as when I upgraded my wife’s iPad to 15.4 she said her wifi is very slow. So please fix this asap, it is very frustrating

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello Golfeur,

First of all, welcome to iMore. Please be aware that these are not official Apple forums. Most, if not all, people here are Apple device users and fans, so while we will do our best to help you, we simply can’t fix a hardware or software issue. When you have a moment and if you wish, you can introduce yourself here: https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Regarding your wireless performance issue, it can be caused by many factors, including your environment.
The first thing I would look at is the frequency band that your iPad has connected to. If it is connected to 2.4 GHz WiFi, it will be much slower than the 5 GHz network band, since it is much more crowded due to range, limited capacity, and lower frequency (the higher the frequency, the higher the throughput and lower the network range). If you’re on 2.4 GHz, I would take steps to move away from 2.4 GHz—with the nuclear option being to disable it in my router’s settings. I would also have a look at what neighbour networks are around, and put my networks on a free channel (2.4 GHz has only 3 channels - 1, 6 and 11 … anything else in between overlaps one or more of these 3; 5 GHz has many more channels available to it—between 3 and 31, starting at channel 32).

The second thing I would look is the signal strength. The stronger the signal, the more reliable and faster your connection will be to your router. The fix for this situation is relocating your router to a more central location in your home.

Finally, I would do a speed test, and make sure I get what my ISP advertises from multiple devices including a device wired to my network. If the wired device doesn’t get the advertised speed, I would reach out to the ISP to have them check if anything is wrong on their side :)

There are many on-device apps that can provide you with that information and do a speed test. I personally use WifiMan by Ubiquiti, where you can see the information under the WiFi tab and you can run a speed test as well. I will note that it doesn’t display the information directly, so you need to interpret it:
  • Frequency band: To see the frequency band, look at the Channel line. If the channel number is between 1 and 14, you’re on 2.4 GHz; if you’re above 32, you’re on 5 GHz.
  • Signal Strength: The higher the number (-32 dBm> -67 dBm> -92 dBm), the better your signal strength. Important to keep in mind that this is a negative number, so -32 is higher than -67.
  • Neighbouring networks: You would need another app for that, but I don’t know any on iOS devices. On Windows/macOS devices, I would use Netspot.
IMG_6881.PNG

Last edited:

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
On top of Ed7789’s excellent advice, I always suggest trying to isolate the problem. 1. What are the conditions this happens? If you run a specific YouTube video, load several diverse but specific webpages in a specific browser, playing a specific game. Nite the specific scenarios with specific benchmarks. 2. Connect to a different network for testing, even your iPhone’s Wi-Fi hotspot may do it.
How do the specific tests diverge if any?
**You may find it is just your network. You may find it is the iPad running specific tasks. Troubleshooting network can be daunting. It assists you a lot to be plodding in your test and troubleshooting.
**Have you looked at your storage amount? After an OS update it can take a modest amount of time for the mysterious system maintenance to run and clear out, what I’ll call, system junk. I’ve seen this on occasion cause a bit of performance issue.
**A router reboot can fix ills sometimes.
**If your ISP provides the modem/router and you have no “box” of your own, there’s a fair possibility they actually have a small charge on your bill for maintaining your Wi-Fi. Give them a call and open a ticket. Even if they remotely log in and say everything is A-ok, you pay them to maintain it. Take advantage of it. (Suggest to them, imho, config permanent leases/static addresses for your iPads)

Golfeur

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies. I was not aware that this was not an official Apple app, my mistake. I have done all the checks you suggest and still have the same problem. As I said this slow wifi problem started only after I upgraded to iOS 15.4. I do not have this problem on my iPhone for some reason. I guess I am going to have to live with it.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies. I was not aware that this was not an official Apple app, my mistake. I have done all the checks you suggest and still have the same problem. As I said this slow wifi problem started only after I upgraded to iOS 15.4. I do not have this problem on my iPhone for some reason. I guess I am going to have to live with it.

The latest iPad OS is 15.4.1. You could try the updating to this. It might contain a bug fix for your problem.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you have 2 devices with slow wifi, then it's not likely the devices. You might check with your internet provider, and see if they're having issues with their signal or towers.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Settings / WiFi. You can tap the circle "i" icon to the right and choose to forget the network and then connect again. See if that helps.

If it is a cellular iPad, Settings / Cellular, scroll to the bottom, and turn off "WiFi Assist". That's unlikely to cause a problem, but worth isolating just in case.

Worst case, and this is sort a "nuclear option", is Settings / General / Transfer or Reset / Reset / Reset Network Settings. This resets the network as if the phone was being set up for the very first time, and deletes all previously connected WiFi access points, so you'll have to reconnect everywhere. I'd not do this until you've exhausted everything else, though. If your wife has an iPhone and uses iCloud Keychain, this will erase all of those connections from the iPhone as well, so tis should be a sort-of second-to-last resort.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73