Buying Advice - New or Used?

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
So I am in the market for a used iPad for my daughter. I have run across a couple affordable iPad Pro 9.7" that are in good condition, but I can also find some newer iPad 2017 models (128GB) and brand new iPad 2018 (32GB) for the same price. Obviously the upgrade storage would be beneficial for road trips and whatnot, but just curious if buying a two year old iPad is really worth it at this point, or just drop the storage and get something brand new?

She is coming from an original iPad Air 16GB, so any of these choices is a pretty significant upgrade at this point. I like some of the pro features like speakers and the True Tone screen. Supporting the original Apple Pencil is a plus too, she likes to draw and I can pick up a 1st gen Apple Pencil for pretty cheap right now. Battery life is a concern as well, a used iPad might be starting to show some battery wear that I wouldn't know about until I had it.

Choices:

iPad Pro 9.7" - 128GB, Used but in good condition, Verizon Cell enabled (not going to use the cell, but might come in handy)

iPad 2017 - 128GB, Used but in good condition, Verizon Cell enabled (same as above for cell)

iPad 2018 - 32GB. Brand new.

Thanks for the help!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Black Friday is coming up. I would check all the Black Friday deals before considering buying used. Welcome to iMore forums!

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Black Friday is coming up. I would check all the Black Friday deals before considering buying used. Welcome to iMore forums!

Thanks, I have checked out the ads and have seen the sales. If I were to pick a new iPad, I know where I would shop. Really it comes down to is the additional storage and/or the couple pro features worth buying used? Its also for a 10 year old, so she's not going to be all that picky. She'll just be happy we're able to fit more movies on her iPad, the battery will last longer and apps wont crash on a regular basis. Looking for help determining the best value.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I personally by a ton of stuff used! Maybe one device/year I but new.

Oh im not afraid of buying used. But, the new iPad has that Apple Pencil support that I am looking for, and will have a warranty and all that. There is inherited risk in buying a used device, and I am prepared for that should it be the best value.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
So I ended up buying a week old 2018 iPad 32GB for $260 on eBay. The best Black Friday ad I saw was $250, and add tax on top of that so I saved a few bucks. Its gold which wasn't exactly what I wanted, but its going to be in a case anyway so who cares?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods