Hello everyone.
    Ive been toying with the idea of getting a ipad pro as my “only computer” but cant quite figure a few things out.

1: Because I’ve used PC’s for quite sometime I have quite a few external drives that have backed up files and pictures on them that I’d like to look at from time to time, is there an adapter available for that? What about CD’s & DVD’s would a powered external drive work?

2: Can you backup the ipad to an external drive on its own or would a pc/mac with itunes be required.

3: Has my preference to use local external drives and back ups as opposed to a cloud system excluded me from going with a (Ipad as my only PC).

Thanks
    01-13-2018 06:12 PM
    For what you want, you will be better off with a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, in my opinion. The iPad Pro, in its current iteration, will not be sufficient for what you’ve mentioned, unless your external drive is wireless.
    last_attempt likes this.
    01-13-2018 06:23 PM
    Yes your right, that's pretty much what I've been able to gather. The simplicity of the ipad along with the many ios apps make a compelling case but it's not quite there yet for me.
    01-13-2018 06:52 PM
    I decided my 86 yr old grandma is finished with laptops and computers She bought herself an iPad Pro 64gb 10.5. I got her on an iPhone a few years ago and the iPad seemed like the next logical step. She was having a hard time looking at photos on her iPhone and her laptop is not supported by Microsoft anymore so it is pretty much unusable.

I do have to say that it is getting very close. For me personally I could not use iPad as a stand alone puter but is it more than sufficient for my grandma.

Doesn’t sound like iPad Pro is gonna cut it for you OP.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    01-13-2018 08:15 PM
    If there was a straight forward way of hooking up the peripherals I have I’d be tempted to try it just out of curiosity, but I don't think apple is sending the iPad in that direction.

I’ve watched several you tube videos of people using an iPad as their only computer, but their setups seem to be all based on using the cloud for everything and not having any older media around which is probably not too realistic for a lot of us.

I'm glad it worked well for your Grandmother though.
    01-13-2018 09:11 PM
    If there was a straight forward way of hooking up the peripherals I have I’d be tempted to try it just out of curiosity, but I don't think apple is sending the iPad in that direction.

I’ve watched several you tube videos of people using an iPad as their only computer, but their setups seem to be all based on using the cloud for everything and not having any older media around which is probably not too realistic for a lot of us.

I'm glad it worked well for your Grandmother though.
    The iPP handles light productivity very well, but at the end of the day it is still a tablet.

Maybe in a few years time, it’ll be able to replace a computer. For now, I don’t think it’s worth the investment considering your needs.
    01-14-2018 01:14 AM
    If you are speaking about external peripherals the iPP isn’t the right choice.
    Basically I’m using it as my main computer, but it has limitations for sure.
    01-14-2018 05:13 AM