Ex Android user here, now a huge Apple fan. An introduction.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Hello, my name is Dan, and I am an ex Android user. I also had several Windows phones and tablets before the Android stuff. I still have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (work issued). It is a great hotspot for my new Apple devices when I am not home.

I now have several iPads/iPhones, whereas 6 months ago I had none. I am now "all in" with Apple stuff.

First, I got a hand-me-down iPhone 5 with 16GB, for free. It was way too small for me, yet I was intrigued by it. The fact that it is nearly 5 years old yet still running the latest iOS really impressed me. 5 year old Android devices (forget about 5 year old Windows phones) are totally abandoned. Heck, even current Windows phones are abandoned.

So I bought a used (perfect condition) 128GB 6+ on eBay. Very nice. I liked it so much that I next bought a used 128GB 6s plus, also on eBay. I love eBay. Again, perfect condition AND a great deal. Neither of these have active SIM cards, so I basically use them as small iPads on wifi.

Naturally, I next started looking at real iPads. I bought a used Air 2 first, 64GB, on eBay. It is in perfect shape, battery is fine, etc. Works fine. So well in fact, that I was intrigued by the new Pro models. I then bought a brand new 10.5" Pro, 256GB. Again, a great deal. Less than retail price and no tax, so I saved $100. Did I mention that I love eBay?

Now I was truly hooked. The iPad Pro is an astonishing tablet. Great screen, camera, sound and super fast. iOS 11 is going to make these even better. But, being truly hooked, I then started looking for a good deal on the big 12.9" iPad Pro.

One finally came along. I got a 256GB 12.9" Pro for retail price but again, no tax. Most were selling for $300 and $400 over retail on eBay at the time. The 12.9" is amazing, better than the 10.5". The screen obviously, but also the sound is better. Louder, fuller and more bass. Not that the 10.5" has bad sound, just that the bigger one sounds better.

I am in heaven, and naturally I assumed I was done. Somehow - I'm not even sure how I stumbled across it - I saw a "I can't pass this up" deal on a 128GB Mini 4, again on eBay. This was an "open box" but otherwise new device, perfect condition from Best Buy. They WERE selling for $279 + tax, so my price was still under $300. 7 were sold at that price in about 12 hours, but now they are going for $372. Clearly someone made a mistake. BTW, none have sold since the price went to $372.

So here I am, with 3 iPhones and 4 iPads. I have been/am selling my Android and Windows stuff on eBay to help cover my costs. I typed this on the big iPad Pro. It has a full size keyboard on the screen, no "real" keyboard needed.

Did I mention that I love eBay?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home and let us know if you have any questions. I think you made a good decision going all in with Apple. :)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Welcome, I've sort of done the same thing, though not as many devices as you. I was with Android since the OG Droid days and when the 6s/6s+ arrived with 3d touch I got really intrigued after playing with my wife's iPad mini 3 and realizing the OS itself also now had a bunch of stuff in it that only Android used to have.

Since I knew a bunch of friends with iOS devices (plus my wife of course) I decided to go for it also to see the supposedly more polished apps/etc. I kept my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet around so I could play with Android but since the games don't sync between the two I found myself using it less and less. I just picked up my first iPad last weekend and love it so far (plus the extra screen size is nice).

I plan to still keep the Nexus tablet until it dies just because of things like having a bunch of store credit from Google's Android only survey that pays you in Play credits for surveys, but I might go back to custom ROM's and stuff on it now that I don't need to keep it stock for stuff like Netflix to work.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore Forums, and thank you for introducing yourself to us...

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Welcome!

I'm in a similar boat, though I tried Windows mobile first before coming to Apple

I bought an SE and now just bought an iPad pro. Will be selling my Surface Pro 4. No need for all the power and headaches that go along with it.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Welcome!

I'm in a similar boat, though I tried Windows mobile first before coming to Apple

I bought an SE and now just bought an iPad pro. Will be selling my Surface Pro 4. No need for all the power and headaches that go along with it.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Me too shifted from Windows Phone. Was looking out for Surface as well. But now will go for iPad.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I have a feeling we will be seeing quite a few more fed-up Windows users finding this place. Many of them are still clinging to the idea that Microsoft is going to release some kind of "killer ultimate mobile device" - any day now - that will change everything.

Of course, it will be running full desktop Windows 10. How that equates to a "killer ultimate mobile device" escapes me. I don't even want Win 10 on my desktop/laptop. I certainly don't want it in my pocket, running legacy Windows apps because there are no mobile apps available.

The fact that Microsoft killed their phone business - such as it was - 4 times in 10 years tells me all I need to know. I gave up and started looking around.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling we will be seeing quite a few more fed-up Windows users finding this place. Many of them are still clinging to the idea that Microsoft is going to release some kind of "killer ultimate mobile device" - any day now - that will change everything.

Of course, it will be running full desktop Windows 10. How that equates to a "killer ultimate mobile device" escapes me. I don't even want Win 10 on my desktop/laptop. I certainly don't want it in my pocket, running legacy Windows apps because there are no mobile apps available.

The fact that Microsoft killed their phone business - such as it was - 4 times in 10 years tells me all I need to know. I gave up and started looking around.

Welcome to iMore man. Some really nice people here. Enjoy your devices!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711