Man this sucks, I've had some money set aside for a while now just waiting for an updated mini. I know I'm apparently in the minority now a days but I prefer my devices to function well for their intended purpose and not be shabby multi-use devices. I have an SE for my daily use and love it for it's smaller manageable size. My tablet I prefer fortnight time use at home but I don't like the size of the full size ipads. So the mini would be perfect, but as I alluded to in another thread the current Mini models are too outdated for me since I have a Galaxy Tab S with a nicer screen. I was reeeally hoping for a new Mini to replace it with. Sigh, the older I get the i understand why some people hang on to their devices because the new stuff doesn't fit their needs.

Apple to discontinue iPad mini as device gets squeezed from both ends – BGR
    iDrizzy01 likes this.
    05-18-2017 06:12 PM
    You're not alone. I'm a big fan of the iPad mini as well. I have an iPad mini 2, but I wasn't looking to upgrade it anytime soon (I bought mine off eBay almost a year ago now). I like the size of the 9.7 inch iPads, but I really wanted the mini because it's much more portable.
    05-18-2017 08:37 PM
    I love being able to hold the smaller tablets (my Tab S 8.4 is a bit smaller still) in my hands and type easily with my thumbs. I'm able to reach any area of the screen and it's not cumbersome. I also find the size perfect for reading and watching YouTube videos.
    I could understand that a full size would be better for a dedicated video device and other media and that's what some people are looking for. I just don't understand the argument I'm hearing more and more that larger phones are eating into tablet territory. With a larger phone you're losing out by lugging around a larger more awkward device Day to day. Then viewing content on it or view full websites for instance you are losing out by having the smaller screen. That's just my opinion though.
    Bruins_CCH_4 likes this.
    05-18-2017 11:42 PM
    I am really not in the market for a new ipad, I have a iPad mini 4 I purchased at launch but I am very disappointed if Apple pulls the mini line! I love this size iPad mini and I mostly use it like an​ oversize iPod touch really! All my entertainment is on my iPad and it's a perfect size to carry everywhere! They really need to do some market research before they decide to discontinue the line..
    05-20-2017 11:35 AM
    I heard that, the reason Apple might be dropping the Mini is because it may hurt sales of their new upcoming devices. I'm also with everyone here, the Mini is a nice product and I do feel it still has a market but maybe it's just not generating enough sales. It's sort of like the MacBook Air, Apple could drop it and make the MacBook the new Air line.

Let's just wait and see, only about 3 weeks to go 😃
    05-20-2017 12:49 PM
    Th emergence of the phablet just killed small tablets.
    05-20-2017 01:09 PM
    Bought my wife's 128gb Verizon iPad mini 2 when it was first released and it still functions like it did that day. It gets AMAZING battery life still. My kids love it and it is built great. I wouldn't think of replacing it, in fact i may buy a mini 4 asap to keep the legend going.
    05-20-2017 01:51 PM
    Bought my wife's 128gb Verizon iPad mini 2 when it was first released and it still functions like it did that day. It gets AMAZING battery life still. My kids love it and it is built great. I wouldn't think of replacing it, in fact i may buy a mini 4 asap to keep the legend going.
    My son has the mini 2 on wifi. It's been so laggy ever since the first iOS 10. Nothing has improved on that even through 10.3.2. Processor is just too underpowered.
    05-20-2017 01:55 PM
    My son has the mini 2 on wifi. It's been so laggy ever since the first iOS 10. Nothing has improved on that even through 10.3.2. Processor is just too underpowered.
    We have never had an issue. We watch movies, netflix, check emails use the web browser. We do not game on it at all. Don't do a lot of photo/video editing either but we look at photos and videos and it is smooth as silk.
    05-20-2017 02:40 PM
    I love my mini 3. The iPad 9.7 is too big for my liking, the mini is the perfect size
    knotsure likes this.
    05-20-2017 02:46 PM
    I had a first-gen Mini for several years that my daughter now has. It had iOS 7 originally, which ran pretty smooth. iOS 8 bogged it down quite a bit, but 9.x runs pretty smooth albeit considerably slower than my new one with 10.3.2.
    05-20-2017 03:25 PM

I just don't understand the argument I'm hearing more and more that larger phones are eating into tablet territory. With a larger phone you're losing out by lugging around a larger more awkward device Day to day. Then viewing content on it or view full websites for instance you are losing out by having the smaller screen. That's just my opinion though.
    Over the years, you home in on the ideal individual setup, right? I grew weary of multi devices and am pleased with a 7 most of the time and the Air 2 when I need a closer look or when the iPhone is charging.

I love the screen on the 7 (pixel count is the same since 6 but they're enhanced somehow) and wouldn't walk across the room to switch to the iPad for video.
    05-20-2017 05:08 PM
    Mini size is great -- I got mine when it came out because it was smaller and lighter than the full sized iPad which was a good bit heavier at the time. Now that the weight of the larger ones are less, I'm liking the 9.7, but mostly because my eyesight isn't as good as it was now that I'm 40+ (need to move up to the Plus phone next too).
    I do think the Mini is definitely a lot more portable, so who knows what they've got cooked up to replace it like @Matty referenced. I had heard rumors of a phone a bit bigger than the current Plus, so we'll see.
    05-20-2017 06:32 PM
    I love my mini- perfect size for laying In bed and shopping
    05-20-2017 07:53 PM
    I love my mini- perfect size for laying In bed and shopping
    Until you fall asleep then BOOM!
    05-21-2017 07:43 AM
    Until you fall asleep then BOOM!
    Sure but the boom is much less with the mini vs the full size
    ruger141 likes this.
    05-21-2017 12:26 PM
    With iOS 10, and then 10.3, I did clean installs and set up as new. Not laggy at all here. Very snappy and works great still.
    05-21-2017 06:58 PM
    With iOS 10, and then 10.3, I did clean installs and set up as new. Not laggy at all here. Very snappy and works great still.
    It's a 4.5 year old processor. Devices will be laggy running the newer OS versions. I wouldn't be surprised if iPad mini 2 gets cut from iOS 11 due to the underpowered processor.
    05-28-2017 12:08 PM
    It's a 4.5 year old processor. Devices will be laggy running the newer OS versions. I wouldn't be surprised if iPad mini 2 gets cut from iOS 11 due to the underpowered processor.
    I feel the A7 processor isn't really much slower than the A8 processor. In my opinion, the A8 processor used in the iPhone 6 and 6+ is underpowered compared to the A9 used in the iPhone 6S and 6S+.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 05-28-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added Quote
    robertk328 likes this.
    05-28-2017 09:49 PM
    Both the iPad Mini 2 and 3 will be supported with iOS 11, along with the iPhone 5S.
    06-06-2017 04:37 PM
    i love my mini 2 but i was hoping if apple will release an ipad mini. i'll buy one. but make sure it has specs that can match the iphone (for example. ipad mini 2 had the same specs as the iphone 5s which was also release at the saame time that's why i bought it)
    06-07-2017 05:01 AM
    i love my mini 2 but i was hoping if apple will release an ipad mini. i'll buy one. but make sure it has specs that can match the iphone (for example. ipad mini 2 had the same specs as the iphone 5s which was also release at the saame time that's why i bought it)
    Pick up a Mini 4 and call it a day
    06-09-2017 09:03 PM
    Since there is no "mini pro" - and no evidence that one is coming - the existing 128 GB Mini 4 is no slouch. I lucked into one for under $300 on eBay, as an open box special from Best Buy. It is in brand new condition, and works fine. Probably a store demo unit. It is basically an Air 2 with a smaller screen. Or, think of it as between the 6 plus and 6s plus iPhones.

But since it is still currently being sold, it will be supported for the next 3 years at least, even if it is discontinued tomorrow. It is still a great little tablet.
    07-09-2017 11:13 PM
    I think it's 100% dead in Apple's eyes as this whole iOS 11 plus growing up into more of a desktop won't work as well with the smaller screen of the Mini in practice. I loved the size too, but when I bought my 2017 iPad I just could not justify the iPad Mini 4 128GB for roughly the same price due to the fact it won't be as good to split screen on as the 2017 iPad when iOS 11 drops. Fond memories of using a Mini will live on forever though!
    08-06-2017 09:47 AM
    I think it's 100% dead in Apple's eyes as this whole iOS 11 plus growing up into more of a desktop won't work as well with the smaller screen of the Mini in practice. I loved the size too, but when I bought my 2017 iPad I just could not justify the iPad Mini 4 128GB for roughly the same price due to the fact it won't be as good to split screen on as the 2017 iPad when iOS 11 drops. Fond memories of using a Mini will live on forever though!
    I originally got the Mini due to price and weight, with a bit of consideration to size of portability. Over time the balance has shifted the other way with the only real consideration being screen size/portability. Weight is much better and pricing is good. The size of the Mini is still pretty good though... yet larger smart phones are kind of eating into that market.
    08-07-2017 06:44 AM
26 12