IPad for Child

jgenco78

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
We purchased a used iPad for my daughter and I was wondering what is the best way to lock the apps and to make it Kid friendly. I would love it if there was a way to put all the apps into a folder and lock it with a password. I have tried looking in the App Store and everything I found was to hide photos and data only. What is the best way to go about this? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
We purchased a used iPad for my daughter and I was wondering what is the best way to lock the apps and to make it Kid friendly. I would love it if there was a way to put all the apps into a folder and lock it with a password. I have tried looking in the App Store and everything I found was to hide photos and data only. What is the best way to go about this? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Good day. You can use Restrictions, also known as parental controls, to block or limit specific apps and features on the iPad. Here is a link on how to set them up and what they can do for you. Hopefully this info is what you were looking for.

jgenco78

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. Is there a way to restrict her being able to get into settings? That was my only concern with that. Thanks again

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. Is there a way to restrict her being able to get into settings? That was my only concern with that. Thanks again

Unfortunately no. But you can hide the Settings button so they can not find it. That in combination with Restriction should allow you just about complete control, if not complete control.

Here is how to do it:

1. Create a folder on the Home Page screen. Your home Page must be full with one of the icons being the folder where you are going to put Settings.
2. Hold one finger on the Settings button and double-click the Home Button
3. Go to Home Page and you will notice the Settings button is slightly darker and larger.
4. Open the folder you created. Do not touch inside it once it opens.
5. Touch outside the folder and the Homescreen will reappear.
6. Now just click the Home Button again and the Settings button will disappear.

If you open the folder you placed it in, it should not be showing. But if you bring up Search and type in Settings it will show. Now if you want to prevent them from being able to search for the setting go to: Settings>General>Spotlight Search> Applications and turn it off. This will prevent them from searching to find the Settings. Now if you ever need to find the Settings again, just do a reboot by holding the Power & Home buttons at the same time till you see the apple. Once it boots up you will be able to see the Settings again.

Hope this adds a little more ammunition to your arsenal. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I also recommend setting up the device with a separate Apple ID and using Family Sharing. You can set different controls for your kids and your purchases are shared. For example, for my kids to purchase an app on their iPads a request is automatically sent to my iPhone and I have to approve it.
More info on Family Sharing here: http://m.imore.com/how-use-family-sharing-ultimate-guide

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR