iPad mini 2, can you multitask with two apps at once(split screen)?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I installed ios9 and tried to do split screen but I couldn't figure it out. I got the little window with video going but really wanted some split screen action.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Not even the original iPad Air? Didn't know that, so thanks.

Well, you learn something every day. I was positive that I had heard/read that somewhere... but just tested it on my wife's original iPad Air and it does work there.

So the split screen works on the iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 and the iPad Pro.

pezman726

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Wait...I'm confused. Isn't the iPad mini 2 basically the same internals as the iPad air? How can the air handle split screen, but the mini 2 can't?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Wait...I'm confused. Isn't the iPad mini 2 basically the same internals as the iPad air? How can the air handle split screen, but the mini 2 can't?

IPad Air 2. Similar internals to the Mini 4. Then the Pro. Only those 3 at this time can do split view.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

pezman726

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
IPad Air 2. Similar internals to the Mini 4. Then the Pro. Only those 3 at this time can do split view.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

The post above mine said that it did work on the regular air

Can't post links yet...you'd think with all my other mobile nations posts it would be fine...but whatever. Search YouTube for iPad Air 1 split screen and there is a video that seems to show it working on what I think is an iPad Air (1).

I'm going to put my money on "Apple wants people to buy the newest device" as the reason it doesn't work on the older devices.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The split screen / slideover works on the original iPad Air:
View attachment 93997 View attachment 93998 View attachment 93999

Mine does that too in the Mini 3 but isn't there a difference between the two somehow? One does two active tabs where the other only one tab can only be active at the time? Hmm. I read it somewhere.

I could be wrong. I just tried it. Perhaps they're bringing this functionality to all iPad models now? 🤔

Mini 3:

8a2a4be1b9e15e76fbb4d8d8be2e17a3.jpg

Who is using beta here?.... Could this be a beta feature?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine does that too in the Mini 3 but isn't there a difference between the two somehow? One does two active tabs where the other only one tab can only be active at the time? Hmm. I read it somewhere.

I could be wrong. I just tried it. Perhaps they're bringing this functionality to all iPad models now? ��

Mini 3:

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/8a2a4be1b9e15e76fbb4d8d8be2e17a3.jpg

Who is using beta here?.... Could this be a beta feature?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk.

See from my screen shot above, the iPad Air is running stock 9.0.2 (13A452) - NOT beta.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Split screen and the slide over are different. The slide over inactivates the other app temporarily. In split screen both apps are fully active. So more devices support slide over than split screen.

That's what I was trying to read about. How can you tell the difference? I've got an Air 2 and Mini 3, what do you need to do to initiate the difference?

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk.

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I really love the Picture in picture and Slide over features of iOS9 on my iPad mini2.
Unfortunately full Split View is not supported for my device. I did found a few 3rd party internet browsers which have the possibility to open 2 websites at once and use/scroll on both at the same time (this is not 'real' Apple Split View' feature but still for browsing two website this works on my iPad mini2.

uSurf Universal(free) | requires iOS8 or later (and also supports Apple's Slide over/Split view)
Split Screen Browser (free) | requires iOS7 or later
Split Web Browser (free) | requires iOS6 or later
Browse and Tube / Browse and Tube Free | requires iOS4.3 or later

To see which apps support Slide over / Split view and Picture in Picture check this topic.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2