Which do you think is better for college use - an iPad or a MacBook?

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: College

I wouldn't do it. I use an iPad at work for a lot of things, but there are still a lot of things that either the iPad can't do, or that are much easier on a laptop. I think you'll hold yourself back some by only having an iPad. Now an iPad coupled with a desktop computer back at the dorms or whatever may work. I'd recommend a laptop if it's an either or conversation.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

You will want to get a keyboard cover of some sort so you can type homework assignments. Depending on what your major is, you should be fine. Your school surely has a computer lab and will furnish you with a school email address if you need to get your work on school computers to print physical copies.

iPads are kind of annoying without a home computer to control them though. If you go this route, I would recommend a Windows or Android tablet instead.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

More importantly YOU need to answer what tasks and functions you are going to need to do with either a tablet or laptop in college.

Then figure out what device best meets those needs.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I get along just fine without a laptop. I have used a Chromebook, but my iPad Air is a lot more capable. For my computing needs, an iPad Air with a bluetooth keyboard is all I need and then some. I haven't run into any situation where I felt like my iPad Air was lacking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Be sure that an iPad can run the apps you need while in class and on campus; and that whatever Bluetooth case you buy can fully support the iPad such that you can type on it and use it just like a laptop. Don't need flimsy case that falls off or slides down when putting pressure on it during typing or use.

If not, I'd go for a MacBook Air 11" as Karenkcoulter said, or look at a Surface 3 (laptop/tablet). The Surface has the additional capability with the pen, so may be useful for writing on digital stuff, annotating PDFs, class notes, note taking. Certainly there are pens for iPad. Just a matter of how much extra stuff you'll need to get for an iPad to be equivalently functional/capable compared to a small laptop or Surface 3.

If it were me, I'd go for a Surface 3, MacBook Air 11'', or similarly sized/spec'd Windows laptop. This ensures greater flexibility, app and peripheral compatibility; and as Marky noted above - you could dock it with a large monitor, full size keyboard and mouse back at home. As a bonus, if you get a decently spec'd laptop/Surface 3; then you only need one computing device - not two. Something to consider for the college budget if that's a factor for you.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I would say a MacBook because it is much more productive than an iPad for school purposes. If you could get both, that would be even better because they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would say a MacBook because it is much more productive than an iPad for school purposes. If you could get both, that would be even better because they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

MacBooks are very expensive though. If you can get away with an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, it would be a much cheaper alternative.

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I just got back from the Apple Store. MacBook are very expensive, wow.

Even though I did love the MacBook, I think I'll have to go with iPad for now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I get along just fine without a laptop. I have used a Chromebook, but my iPad Air is a lot more capable. For my computing needs, an iPad Air with a bluetooth keyboard is all I need and then some. I haven't run into any situation where I felt like my iPad Air was lacking.

Don't forget about an AirPrint compatible printer to go along with the iPad and the Bluetooth keyboard...;)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I see you've already made your purchase. Unless you're working in engineering, you made the right choice. Get a note taking app. This will help with keeping all of your notes in one place. I made a habit of getting ebooks so I could carry all of my books with me to class without the added weight.

If you need to do any coding, you're going to want an actual computer though over a tablet.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I initially bought an iPad thinking it would be perfect for college. Truth is, a lot of professors don't let you use tablets or computers in class. They want your undivided attention and they feel like if you are on your computer they won't have it.

I did end up purchasing a MacBook Air to use for school which I ended up using more than my iPad. I thought the iPad would be perfect because I figured school books would be cheaper on there. Wrong. They were the same or more to rent or buy for the iPad. Plus a lot of bookstores partner with Barnes and Noble so it isn't possible to rent for the iPad.

I would go with the laptop over the iPad but that is personally just me. I did use my iPad a lot for research while using my MBA to type papers so the combo of the two was perfect for me.

heyyitsmesusan

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
A Macbook for sure. I have an iPad with a keyboard case and as convenient as it is, I find it much more difficult to do normal things on there that you'd do on a regular laptop. It's much easier to multitask on a laptop, so definitely go for the MB. An air would be good if you don't wanna spend money on the Pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW