The perfect iPad

rexalbel

May 9, 2014
Visit site
There's been so much going on around the web about a possible iPad pro as well as declining sales in iPads. While the lack of sales could simply be due to a significantly slower upgrade rate for tablets, I have come to start wondering what would make me upgrade aside from my tablet dying?

With the iPad pro's nice size screen which is larger than a sheet of paper or notebook, I have become pretty intrigued, however, I also find myself asking why? I own a desktop a laptop a tablet and a smartphone. My desktop is great for working at home on a larger screen. My tablet is great for working anywhere away from my desk whether that's at school, at families, traveling or just lounging in bed on the weekend. The key point here is "work". My tablet is used in classes that require web and note taking because it's smaller and easier to use in crowded lecture halls. I also bring it to my studio desk to watch Netflix while I plug my laptop into a monitor and work. At night I sometimes use it when my iPhone's on the charger. There are also a few select apps I enjoy using more on it as well. That's about it. Before I needed my laptop my tablet was the only thing I used to do work mobile but as my education is nearing its end, the type of work has changed from papers, notes and quizzes to major projects using programs that the iPad is no where near competing with...

And this is where I ask why? Why would I upgrade a device I only really use once in a while and, Why hasn't the tablet evolved?

For me, tablets really are useful. I think they are a major invention and have incredible potential. Microsofts attempt to merge tablets and laptops is scratching at the right idea but misses. Tablets don't need to be two systems in one. They need to be tablets not laptops... But also not smartphones.

I've noticed a large trend for tablets to basically just be giant smartphones. Even android has changed its once unique tablet interface to a smartphone interface. Some apps do take advantage of the real estate and some apps are even only for tablets, but the potential is so much higher than what's reached. Tablets generally have similar specs as their smartphone counterparts as well as interfaces and apps. This makes owning both a bit redundant. The larger screen can be useful, especially for doing things that might be too cramped on an iPhone, but tablets need to stretch further and tap into more powerful software.

Now let me make this clear, tablets should NOT become hybrid systems) windows 8 is a great example of what NOT to do. There should definitely be integration and continuity but the systems need to be different or at least perform completely different when on a tablet. For instance, in windows 8 if we only had desktop mode with some more modern features and when using a tablet only the new metro interface was available, that would work. App stores and apps can stay universal as well. What tablets do need is software that's designed for a tablet but has the capabilities of desktop software. It's possible. We can cram a lot of power in tiny packages and I think almost any software can be made on a tablet. A tablet should bring innovative new ways to interact with software not just run it. For me, I'd like to see powerful cad programs like revit come to the iPad. It would bring architects new ways to design quickly and mobile as well as manage projects, give presentations and view sheets/print sheets. I think in order to really allow a tablet to be successful accessories should have use. For example a pen or mouse should be able to be connected and used if needed/desired.

I really do think innovative ways to use powerful software is what tablets need. There have been a few programs piping up that do this but not enough. The operating system also needs to be different from the smartphone. This means maybe better file organization, better home screens and notifications, and easier ways to connect with other devices.

A tablet should be, a capable computer designed for touch, not Watered down enlarged smartphone apps.

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for a while. A very cool tablet, mind you but it was just too big. So big I fact that when I tried to use it to photograph a spider in my bathroom, it slipped and shattered on the tiles. Portability had been a huge problem. So I got an iPad Air. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that my Note Pro had but for me it's better, more portable, I use it more.
Now an iPad Pro in the same size as the Air but with all those bells and whistles certainly would have my attention.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I was planning on getting a Tab Pro 12.2 next year to watch Netflix on. I was watching on my Tab Pro 8.4 and thought the extra size would make it perfect. In the mean time I got a great deal on an Air 2 and quickly realized that the 12.2 screen would actually be too big. My arms aren't long enough to get the screen far enough away from my face!! The Air 2 is about as bis as I would like for Netflix watching. I'm actually watching on my Tab Pro 8.4 more than the Air 2. I guess bigger isn't always better.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I think the number one reason that tablet sales are dying is simply because phones are getting bigger. This means that people find it hard to justify an extra $200 - $600 on a tablet when it's only three or 4 inches bigger than your phone anyway.

For me though I do love my iPhone and my computer but I would be devastated if something ever happened to my iPad. In fact I had my old iPad mini 2 stolen from me at work and if something like that ever happened to my current one I would be heartbroken. I don't know what it is about this device but I use it more than my phone and my computer combined.

Mind you that I much prefer my mini over my finance's air so maybe it's the form factor/size that I love so much?

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the number one reason that tablet sales are dying is simply because phones are getting bigger. This means that people find it hard to justify an extra $200 - $600 on a tablet when it's only three or 4 inches bigger than your phone anyway.

For me though I do love my iPhone and my computer but I would be devastated if something ever happened to my iPad. In fact I had my old iPad mini 2 stolen from me at work and if something like that ever happened to my current one I would be heartbroken. I don't know what it is about this device but I use it more than my phone and my computer combined.

Mind you that I much prefer my mini over my finance's air so maybe it's the form factor/size that I love so much?

I know I am late in the post being near a month old but, since I have a 6 plus I still like the idea of having a tablet whether it be 8 to 10 inches or the upcoming 12 inch ipad pro. So it depends on the user but, the op is on to something about the slower upgrade rate; but also the analogy of "if it isn't broken, do not fix it" comes into play as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2