iPad (original owner) locked with unrecognized Apple ID after erase and restore.

gfxchick

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My Mother-in-law was giving her iPad, of which she is the original owner, to my daughter. When my daughter erased all of the data and content of the iPad, it came up registered to an AppleID (ends in qq dot com) from a foreign country, I can't include it here because it results in my post being marked as spam, and belongs to no one we know. We tried inputing the AppleID that was originally tied to the device but that didn't work. Through research, I have found that this is not a unique problem which is a relief that we are not the only ones but very frustrating that Apple hasn't seen it is an issue.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
How did she erase the device was it thru iTunes as a restore as new or did she do an on device data erase

I have never heard of this and don't understand how Apple would assume this isn't an issue

But if the device is running iOS 7.0 or higher there is no way around it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You may need to contact Apple to see if the confusion can be sorted out.

gfxchick

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It is running iOS7 and my frustration is showing. Doing Google searches, I have come across others with this issue on Apple Support and other forums. It seems to be an iOS7 issue and is doubly strange because the AppleIDs are all foreign (possibly Chinese). By posting here, I am hoping to see how widespread the issue is and alert Apple. To make it more difficult, the original receipt was misplaced so a copy was requested from the vendor. Once that is in hand with the AppleID and password that the device was originally registered to, it will be a trip to an Apple Store. I tried phone support, since the Apple Store was three hours away, but it an issue that is better explained in person with the device and supporting materials in hand.

gfxchick

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
She erased it on the iPad itself with "Erase All Content and Settings". The iPad has never been connected to a computer/iTunes.

mshuau

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you the exact reason, The ipad must be a stolen ipads with the ios 7.0.x from china which was previously used by someone, which means that they would have assigned an appleID's to it. but if the device had no lock code, there is a bug in that version of IOS to disable find my iphone. Then that anyone who buys it legitimately could use any new appleID. But when you pressed remove all contents and settings. Then the bug is somehow removed and the original appleID is again required which is the ID set by the person who owned it first.

To make sure that this is the case, go to your email which is used for your appleID and see if you can find an email from Find my iphone saying "Find My iPhone has been disabled on your ipad"

gfxchick

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It was purchased from Best Buy by the original owner, I was there when it was purchased, so it is unlikely that it was stolen from China. Took the iPad with store receipt (Best Buy customer service was fantastic. They sent a copy of the receipt via email immediately.) to the Apple Store and it was unlocked without any incident. The Apple Store employee was familiar with the problem.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It was purchased from Best Buy by the original owner, I was there when it was purchased, so it is unlikely that it was stolen from China. Took the iPad with store receipt (Best Buy customer service was fantastic. They sent a copy of the receipt via email immediately.) to the Apple Store and it was unlocked without any incident. The Apple Store employee was familiar with the problem.
Something is just not right, and I'm trying to understand the issue at hand. The iPad was bought brand new from a Best Buy store where you witnessed the purchase. You then took the iPad to an Apple store along with the receipt to have it unlocked? It should not have been locked in the first place, if it was new. Once it was realized that the device was "locked", bells should have gone and somebody should have returned the item in exchange for another one, in my opinion. Anyway, so Apple unlocked it and I assume your mother-in-law signed in to the device with her own Apple ID and used it for a while prior to giving it to your daughter. Now after your daughter reset the device, it is now asking for an Apple ID that none of you have ever used. That's what bothering me. If the device was unlocked by Apple, and when I say unlocked in this regard, I mean whatever Apple ID that may have been assigned to it prior to it being packaged and illegally shipped as new, I'd like to think that Apple disassociated that Apple ID from the device. In any case, unless the people at the Apple Store will unlock it again, there is nothing anyone can do for you in this regard.

gfxchick

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My mother-in-law bought the iPad at Best Buy. Used it for 9 months and decided to get an iPad Air. She gave the first iPad she bought to my daughter who used "Erase all data and content" on the iPad to reset it so she could key it to her (my daugther's) Apple ID. After which, the iPad came up keyed to a foreign Apple ID. Long story short, we got a copy of the original Best Buy receipt and took it to the Apple Store to have it reset.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My mother-in-law bought the iPad at Best Buy. Used it for 9 months and decided to get an iPad Air. She gave the first iPad she bought to my daughter who used "Erase all data and content" on the iPad to reset it so she could key it to her (my daugther's) Apple ID. After which, the iPad came up keyed to a foreign Apple ID. Long story short, we got a copy of the original Best Buy receipt and took it to the Apple Store to have it reset.

Thanks

mshuau

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Why dont you try "Erase all data and content" to see if it happens again? Would be really helpful as it will be an additional step to diagnose this problem.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
How did she erase the device was it thru iTunes as a restore as new or did she do an on device data erase

I have never heard of this and don't understand how Apple would assume this isn't an issue

But if the device is running iOS 7.0 or higher there is no way around it

The latest version IOS for original iPad is 5.1.1. I know because I still use my original iPad.