Do Kids Really Need An iPad?

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
An iPad is the best e-reader out there, I think.

Must be nice to have enough money to give all the kids iPads.

No-one in the world _needs_ an iPad, but they sure are useful.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I would say that no one, much less a child, needs an iPad. It's a luxury we simply want, for whatever reason. But need? Not really. If they had never been produced (any brand or platform), we would still be kicking with our smartphones and laptops. And life would still be grand! Just saying! :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I would say that no one, much less a child, needs an iPad. It's a luxury we simply want, for whatever reason. But need? Not really. If they had never been produced (any brand or platform), we would still be kicking with our smartphones and laptops. And life would still be grand! Just saying! :D

True, but theres nothing wrong with spicing things up.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think if they want one bad enough, they should save up for their own. If there is a "family" iPad, that's fine, but an individual iPad for the kid is a little too much IMO.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think if they want one bad enough, they should save up for their own. If there is a "family" iPad, that's fine, but an individual iPad for the kid is a little too much IMO.

It may not be wise to suggest you know what's best for others and their children.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It may not be wise to suggest you know what's best for others and their children.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
He answered the OP's question with his opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe you should question the OP's question. :D

CJ Allan

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Look for the OP's follow-up message.

I think she accidentally mis-stated her question.

I think she was expressing surprise that she had seen kids with iPads.

Theodor Hedesiu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
For small children its only about games and ebooks
But at a certain age the IPad,it isn't about games any more.i use mine as a multimedia personal asistent.games,free ebooks,Autocad,YouTube,internet browsing,music,etc
I dont find it necesary for a child,but it defently can help a kid at school
There is a app that allows you to hide certain aplications,like games from your child
I think 1 hour of games Per day is more then enough for a kid

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
For small children its only about games and ebooks
But at a certain age the IPad,it isn't about games any more.i use mine as a multimedia personal asistent.games,free ebooks,Autocad,YouTube,internet browsing,music,etc
I dont find it necesary for a child,but it defently can help a kid at school
There is a app that allows you to hide certain aplications,like games from your child
I think 1 hour of games Per day is more then enough for a kid

You can set restrictions on the iPad to limit the content that kids can view. My daughter cannot access content that isn't rated G and she doesn't have access to the Safari web browser or camera. I can lock her into apps when I just want her to focus on one activity. It's really easy to make sure your kids aren't exposed to content that they aren's supposed to be exposed to.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I know this woman at work who is a firm believer that kids should be active and play outside. Electronics do not come into play, there is one desktop in the house and one land line phone, regular flip phones for the parents only.
Until her 8 year old was in an accident, broke 5 vertebrae in his back, both legs, 3 ribs and fractured his skull.
Several organ injuries as well.
Several surgeries.
The boy healed well but it took a long time and he was bed ridden, still spends a lot of time resting and in physical therapy.
Everyone at work pitched in and got him an iPad 4.
I bought him several apps about the human body, skeletal and muscular system, kinesiology etc.
Those are animated apps that show the muscles and bones in action, I use them all the time in my other job.

Not only was the child entertained with movies and books when he couldn't move, but once he could and had to start physical therapy, he fired up those apps constantly. He was no longer scared because he could see what was happening in his body, he would show the PT and ask questions, he became very proactive in his own healing.

Today, while he still needs to rest a lot, he is up and about and carries his iPad everywhere. Not to sit and play video games, but to message his teachers because he's still playing catch up with school.
He also uses it for play: he wanted to build a shelter in the backyard with his friends and looked up the information to do it on his iPad... And promptly messaged his dad to come help, lol.

Interestingly, he has not become glued to his iPad at all, but he does use it for various things throughout the day. Including to find information about chickenpox when his sister got it.

So this is a bit of a special case, but he is now 10 and he is as active as he can be given his still strengthening body and lingering limitations, and uses his iPad everyday for play, for reading, for school work because he missed so much school in 2 years he is now in summer school and contacts his teachers a lot.
He also has photos of his progress since the accident, he looks at them whenever he feels discouraged.
He's recently begun to add music, too.

I think that giving a kid an iPad depends on several factors, though parenting would be the most important one in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Supervised use for very young kids is great. Get an Otterbox and that's good protection for the device.

Older kids can really make good use of educational apps that look like games. Also, schools are really pushing the use of iPads so the more they learn about them early in the better for school.

To the point of obesity, keep the iPad to quiet time.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think if they are responsible enough to not play games and screw around on it all day, along with paying for it and earning money on their own, they should get one. That's what I was always expected to do as a kid. If I wanted something, I mowed lawns or shoveled snow or whatever until I could afford it.

The main reason I think kids don't need an iPad is because I know a lot of kids who have them and all they do is play games, and they didn't have to earn a single cent of it. They just got it handed to them for free and they don't take care of it at all. It should be used for more than games and YouTube. Using it for education is one of the only reasons I would allow a kid to get one, unless their circumstances are different like a person said above. Games aren't bad, don't get me wrong, but that is what I see 95% of kids under 13 years old doing if they have an iPad.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My godson is almost three years old and loves the iPad. Plays educational games and has all his videos on it.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
my 3 and half year old niece has been using the ipad for long as i can remeber, Dont wanna say exactly how long but i dont recall. 4 months after her 3rd birthday her teacher told her father aka my brother she is doing things at a 5 year old level with how high she can count reconize colors etc and wanted to know what we were doing to get her so far ahead. Shes been using ipad air 1 hour before bed with education items. So therefor shes getting spoiled and for christmas ipad mini thats on sale at walmart she will be getting under the tree.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Is it wise to get a very young child about under the age of 8, their own tablet? I've been hearing stuff about people giving 4 year olds an iPad; the latest model like the iPad Air and the Retina Mini. Do you think it's a smart move by the parents?

Nobody needs these things. They're wants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2