Some months back, my job outfitted me with two new iPads; an Air and Mini Retina. The Air is 32 GB and the Mini is 64 GB. I really love using both, but I'm thinking of just deciding on one or the other and so I don't have to keep up with more devices than I need to. When I first got the Air, I fell in love with it right away. When I was given the Mini, I really didn't want to use it. But over time, I started to feel like it was an easier device to handle. I like it better for reading and playing games. I could also thumb type really well on it. So for the last two months, I had been using the Mini more than the Air. A couple of weeks ago, I got a Zagg Keys Folio keyboard case with backlit keys for the Air. This has changed everything for me. I now use my Air more than the Mini. I can still read my magazines and books, watch movies, and play certain games. But, doing things like messaging over iMessage, visiting forums, sending emails, and web browsing has been a better experience since getting the keyboard. Now of course I could get a keyboard for the iPad Mini and have a similar experience, however, I have tried a couple of keyboards for the Mini and they seem to be a little too cramped or the keyboard layout isn't traditional. I need the space and convenience of a traditional keyboard. Having to keep up with two iPads is getting to be a little much. I want to make a decision on one, but it's difficult.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    03-01-2014 10:29 PM
    In this instance, especially being that you got a keyboard for it, you might as well use the latest iPad -- the iPad Air, in my opinion.
    03-01-2014 10:32 PM
    This is what we call a privileged problem! Personally I went Air. I still miss my mini a little, but the thinness and lightness of the Air make it the perfect device for me, and besides I have 2 big phones a Z30 and a Sony Xperia Z Ultra!
    03-01-2014 10:34 PM
    This is what we call a privileged problem! Personally I went Air. I still miss my mini a little, but the thinness and lightness of the Air make it the perfect device for me, and besides I have 2 big phones a Z30 and a Sony Xperia Z Ultra!
    It definitely is a privileged problem. The horrible thing about it is that one of them will go unused. I can't sell one because they technically aren't mine to sell. My wife, daughter, and son have their own iPads so I can't give one to them. It would just sit in a drawer. The one thing about the Mini Retina though is that it has more storage space which is attractive. I think that if the Air had been 64 GB, it would have been a no brainer.

03-01-2014 10:38 PM
    Some months back, my job outfitted me with two new iPads; an Air and Mini Retina. The Air is 32 GB and the Mini is 64 GB. I really love using both, but I'm thinking of just deciding on one or the other and so I don't have to keep up with more devices than I need to. When I first got the Air, I fell in love with it right away. When I was given the Mini, I really didn't want to use it. But over time, I started to feel like it was an easier device to handle. I like it better for reading and playing games. I could also thumb type really well on it. So for the last two months, I had been using the Mini more than the Air. A couple of weeks ago, I got a Zagg Keys Folio keyboard case with backlit keys for the Air. This has changed everything for me. I now use my Air more than the Mini. I can still read my magazines and books, watch movies, and play certain games. But, doing things like messaging over iMessage, visiting forums, sending emails, and web browsing has been a better experience since getting the keyboard. Now of course I could get a keyboard for the iPad Mini and have a similar experience, however, I have tried a couple of keyboards for the Mini and they seem to be a little too cramped or the keyboard layout isn't traditional. I need the space and convenience of a traditional keyboard. Having to keep up with two iPads is getting to be a little much. I want to make a decision on one, but it's difficult.

I picked the iPad air because it had a larger display but the form factor was still slim and light enough for me to handle with ease, as opposed the retina mini which had a smaller display hence a smaller form factor which would be a lot more easy to handle compared to it's bigger brother. Now if the keyboard made your experience a lot better than without one on the Air I say go with the Air.. Because gaming and media consumption is a lot more immersive on the larger display and the larger keyboard option is to your benefit.. And it's larger but not that much heavier than the retina mini so it shouldn't be to much more of a hassle to handle. Hell I'd keep both and use each for what it's best for..

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums
    03-01-2014 11:13 PM
    Just got the air and haven't regretted it once. The mini was too small for a daily driving tablet.

-Rizzo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    03-15-2014 06:44 PM
    I recommend the mini. It's the perfect size for portability and screen typing. It's totally up to you on which one you would rather have!

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    03-15-2014 06:59 PM
    If you can't sell one then use both like you are. Use the one that makes sense given your daily situation.
    03-15-2014 07:08 PM
    Hi.

I can certainly relate to your quandary, I have both an Air and Mini Retina and absolutely love both devices but for different reasons.

The decision I made is to use my Air around the house for playing games, reading books, magazines, newspapers etc. and for general media consumption. Outside of the house my Mini Retina is the perfect device, it is extremely portable, I have LTE so no need to tether.

I've made the decision too keep both for different reasons.

Good luck with your decision.
    04-28-2014 05:43 AM
    I have the original mini and just recently bought the Air. I think the mini is better as an on the go daily driver due to it's lightness, but at at home the air is better. I take the mini with me on my daily commute, however if I was going on vacation I'd be happy to take the Air.

I bought the original mini first but if I could only have one I suppose I'd go for the Air as it is better all round. You do sacrifice portability but the real estate makes up for it.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    04-28-2014 10:44 AM
    I picked up Air for my dad!
    04-29-2014 12:25 AM
    You could use one as just a media consumption device, and just use it at home and then have the other one be the main one where you keep your work files and do emails and such. The other one just use for Web, media and music.

PS is your job hiring?
    05-05-2014 05:00 PM
    You could use one as just a media consumption device, and just use it at home and then have the other one be the main one where you keep your work files and do emails and such. The other one just use for Web, media and music.

PS is your job hiring?
    As a matter of fact they are. If you are in the Joliet, Illinois area and have a masters in Education Administration and degree in Special Education I can get you an interview.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.
    05-06-2014 01:13 PM
    Air! I don't think that it presents nearly the same usability challenges as the iPad 4th Gen did with size and weight compared to the Mini line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-06-2014 03:50 PM
    Air! I don't think that it presents nearly the same usability challenges as the iPad 4th Gen did with size and weight compared to the Mini line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-06-2014 08:24 PM
    If you can afford it then keep both and use apps which sync with cloud services to have access to all data from every device and also use web based stuff, but if you can't afford it and just want to use one device, then I would always prefer the mini over the air, because of its portability.

Technically they are almost the same, the air is just bigger and heavier, so if you don't need a bigger screen take the mini. There was never a time where I thought "man, I need a bigger screen" and I used my mini for almost everything, reading books, PDFs, Mangas, listening to music, playing games (also with other people up to 4 ), use it as a second monitor, organize stuffs, taking noted in lectures in university and seminars, as a camera to take pictures, as a mass storage for data and lot lot more
    06-17-2014 04:19 AM
    I won't go back to a 7''-8'' tablet after using my iPad Air. The added screen space is just to valuable for everything I do: gaming, videos, office work. And 9.7'' is not to bulky for reading, which had been a fear of mine (in fairness, I have large hands so it works for me.)

But I also won't go back to using a regular-sized phone after touching my Note 3. It's phablets only for me. So I think the 7''-8'' form factor just doesn't work for my use. Not large enough to be worth it over my phone.
    06-17-2014 04:40 AM
    I won't go back to a 7''-8'' tablet after using my iPad Air. The added screen space is just to valuable for everything I do: gaming, videos, office work. And 9.7'' is not to bulky for reading, which had been a fear of mine (in fairness, I have large hands so it works for me.)

But I also won't go back to using a regular-sized phone after touching my Note 3. It's phablets only for me. So I think the 7''-8'' form factor just doesn't work for my use. Not large enough to be worth it over my phone.
    I agree with you on the size of the iPad Air. I think that it makes it a versatile device. I used to own the iPad Mini Retina and I liked it, but it was just a tad bit small for some things. The bigger screen is definitely better for reading, watching movies, and doing office work. I like to be able to connect my bluetooth keyboard to it and enjoy an incredible typing experience. I tried to do that with the iPad Mini and it didn't work well. It was also a little small for web browsing and reading too. The iPad Mini is the perfect size for gaming though.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.
    06-17-2014 08:48 AM