Why does my iPad take so long to charge?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My iPad takes a very long time to charge - Does anyone know why - Written to help and assist the members with problems with their devices.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I depends on how long you have had it and the model. If it is an old iPad and has gone through many cycles or charges and getting old - It may call for a new battery. Take it to an Apple store and let them test it out to see if it needs a new battery.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Because it has a big battery. My iPad mini first gen takes about 8 hours to charge, but I can get about 15 hours of use out of it. You'll sacrifice charge time for battery life (Usually).

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Because it has a big battery. My iPad mini first gen takes about 8 hours to charge, but I can get about 15 hours of use out of it. You'll sacrifice charge time for battery life (Usually).

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

I have an iPad mini first gen and it takes about 3.5 hours to charge. I'm using the 12 W charger. I can't remember how long it takes to charge with the standard charger.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
My new iPad mini with retina display was taking a long time to charge, reading other posts I figured it out, I was using the charger from my 5S. I like to keep all the accessories that comes with my new devices in the original box and unused. I have so many cables and charges. The problem is the iPad mini charger is designed to charge the iPad mini, use it, charges twice as fast.
I haven't been able to get any sleep, up all night using my new iPad mini with retina display in white & silver with 128gb of internal storage. Great Device. Thank You Apple.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Like others have said, outside of issues with owning it and charging a long time (wearing out), the battery in the iPad is monstrous compared to the iPhone's battery in terms of capacity. Keep in mind that the iPad battery has to have enough juice to power a 10 inch screen vs. the 5 inch screen on the iPhone. As such the battery is taxed much more in the iPad vs. the iPhone to run that display and therefore has to have much more capacity.

To put it into car terms, it's like you're filling up a 100 gallon fuel tank on fill up vs. filling up a 10 gallon fuel tank. More to charge, longer to do it.

Also, make sure you're using the iPad charger, and not the iPhone charger. Both will charge it but the iPhone one takes longer.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I use the adapter & connect my charging block to my Plug Bug or directly to the extension cord of my MBA or MBP & it charges in a little over an hour. I charge my 5S the same way.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah use the recent charger with 12A and also turn on Airplane mode.
Close all running apps which could run in background.
You can also turn it completely of, but it won't boost the charging much.
Always use original cable and charger, they work sometimes different :/

And don't forget to turn on autolock, I know a lot of people who let the screen on, especially while charging. It doesn't make sense if you don't look at it.

neophyte1000

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I just replaced my second generation IPad mini which was stolen with the latest version. Whereas my stolen model charged so fast I never timed it, this new model took 6 1/2 hours and the charge only lasted 8 to 9 hours for simple usage. After a lot of to and fro, Apple agreed to change it although they said the battery hardware tested 100%.
My fresh IPad mini, same model, charges in 3 1/2 hours, exactly same charger, power source etc. it also lasts a little more than 10 hours.
So be aware, the quality of these batteries are very variable. If yours takes 7 or 8 hours to charge, take it back and insist on an exchange. And - within 2 weeks - I was not aware of this time limit and waited a month but luckily Apple still agreed to replace.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yep. That will charge faster too. I rarely use the bricks. I changed a bunch of my outlets to include USB

Last edited:

soofia bhatti

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm soofia and my iPad is also taking a very long time to charge and I'm getting so sick of waiting for it to charge up to 100percent and now my iPad is stuck on 97percent and I'm really getting fed up of waiting for my iPad to charge up

From Soofia