iPhone version of a universal app on an iPad?

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I know about using iPhone only apps on an iPad with the 2X app zoom option. Is it possible to use the iPhone version of a universal app on an iPad instead of the iPad version?

In case you're wondering: I'm asking because I'm visually impaired. An iPad Mini with iPhone versions of universal apps instead of iPad versions would rock my world. I know about accessibility settings, etc, but I'm specifically asking about using iPhone versions of universal apps on an iPad. I currently own an iPad, but if I could run iPhone versions of universal apps on an iPad, I'd sell mine and buy an iPad Mini in a heartbeat.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That depends on the app. Some "universal" apps are actually iPhone apps that are stretched to fit an iPad screen. The BBM app immediately comes to mind. In other words, they are arguably iPhone-only apps. Not all of them, by the way.

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Even in the example you cited, there's no way to use the iPhone version of the universal BBM app on an iPad rather than the iPad version. I'm specifically asking if there's a way to force an iPad to use the iPhone version of a universal app rather than the iPad version.

I guess the answer is probably no.

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
A universal app contains the UIs for both iPhone and iPad and which one you see depends on iOS detecting which device you are on.

Yeah, I realize that. I was hoping there might be a hidden setting I was missing that would override that behavior. Frankly, this would make an excellent option to add to the Accessibility settings in the main iOS settings app. The option to use iPhone versions instead of iPad versions of universal apps means more than just stretching. It means larger icons, consistently larger text, especially in cases where the app doesn't use Apple's text-size accessibility settings. Most people wouldn't use this, but then again, the accessibility settings in iOS aren't intended for most people anyway. For the visually impaired, it would be really helpful.

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
WHOA!!! That's a good idea and it never occurred to me. Do you mean the jailbreak forum here, or somewhere else? I've never dabbled with jailbreaking before. I never had a reason to...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro