Can’t Activate Original iPad

Skier76

Jan 1, 2022
Visit site
We still have our original first gen iPad kicking around and wanted to turn it into a digital photo frame. I’ve reset the iPad and I’m currently going through the setup process. I’m getting stuck on the signing into iTunes screen. When I click next after entering my iCloud info, I get a notification on my iPhone and iPad 9th gen stating a device is trying to sign in and I click allow. I then get a verification code on whichever device I have accepted on. On the original iPad, it tells me the verification code is required. I hit ok, the box goes away and there’s nowhere to enter the code. It’s just just stays on the iCloud sign in screen. If I hit next, the process just continues with more pop up’s on my other devices.

Any help is appreciated.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

You might want to try to type in your Apple ID, and password with the 6 digit verification code added to the end of your password.

To get your verification code preemptively, which you will have to do, go into the Settings, then tap on your name at the top.

From there, tap on Password & Security.
9897ebc9e9e5c2b6cf9c9d87b6655046.jpg

Finally, tap on Get Verification Code at the bottom which will give you the necessary 6 digit code.
4270d27c7f0adf7ff31aa6feee6792f5.jpg

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204915 (question “What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?”)

Skier76

Jan 1, 2022
Visit site
Many thanks Ed! That did the trick. I also took a slightly different route this time around. I skipped the iCloud log in during the setup. That got me right to the Home Screen of the iPad. From there, I logged into iCloud via settings using my password, plus the six digit verification code.

Thanks again! Great to have this older unit up and running again!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks Ed! That did the trick. I also took a slightly different route this time around. I skipped the iCloud log in during the setup. That got me right to the Home Screen of the iPad. From there, I logged into iCloud via settings using my password, plus the six digit verification code.

Thanks again! Great to have this older unit up and running again!

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing your update and welcome to iMore!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro