Got my new iPad today. It had 72% battery. I put it on charge but it took 3 hours in airplane mode to fully charge. Is this normal. My mini 4 didn’t take this long to charge. Or is it faulty?
    04-15-2020 12:30 PM
    Can you tell us what you were charging it with ?
    This sounds like rather a long time with an IPad charger(10-12v). but probably right with an iPhone charger(5 v) you won’t really know what it’s doing until you have been using it for a few days.
    Were you using it as it was charging ?
    04-15-2020 01:01 PM
    It was the charger and cable from the box. I didn't use the one from my iPad mini as I wanted to use the ones provided. It took hours and with it on airplane mode. I have had iPads since the original one came out in 2010 I think it was. I have never seen one charge this slowly. I am wondering if it is faulty and I should return it for a replacement. It was brand new in a box from my mobile carrier.
    04-16-2020 02:22 AM
    Got my new iPad today. It had 72% battery. I put it on charge but it took 3 hours in airplane mode to fully charge. Is this normal. My mini 4 didn’t take this long to charge. Or is it faulty?
    Your Apple lithium-ion battery uses fast charging to quickly reach 80% of its capacity, then switches to slower trickle charging. The amount of time it takes to reach that first 80% will vary depending on your settings and which device you’re charging. Software may limit charging above 80% when the recommended battery temperatures are exceeded.

Source: https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/#mn_p
    04-16-2020 06:17 AM
    I spent over an hour and a half on chat with Apple Support. They did a diagnostic test on my battery and it was ok. They then transferred me to a senior agent. He thinks the charging port could be faulty. But it could also be because I was charging it for the first time and the battery shown was inaccurate. I have since charged it up. It was slower than my iPad mini but it did charge to 100% in about 2 hours from 52%. I will see how it goes over the next few days. If it doesn’t improve I will utilise my 14 day returns policy and ask for a replacement.

Thanks for your help.
    Annie_M and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-16-2020 10:43 AM
    I spent over an hour and a half on chat with Apple Support. They did a diagnostic test on my battery and it was ok. They then transferred me to a senior agent. He thinks the charging port could be faulty. But it could also be because I was charging it for the first time and the battery shown was inaccurate. I have since charged it up. It was slower than my iPad mini but it did charge to 100% in about 2 hours from 52%. I will see how it goes over the next few days. If it doesn’t improve I will utilise my 14 day returns policy and ask for a replacement.

Thanks for your help.
    Thanks for the update! Please keep us posted!
    04-16-2020 11:39 AM