iPad 3 Charging Problems

Bob95065

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I won a iPad 3 two years ago at a trade show I went to for work. I used it trouble-free for most of that time until one day when I plugged it in to Belkin cable. I had trouble removing it and after that day the % charged indicator shows a lightning bolt indicating the battery is charging but the % charged doesn't change. I tried a different cable and the problem was still there. I tried resetting the iPad - no joy. I tried a hard reset with no luck.

I took the iPad to the Apple store. They ran a diagnostic on it and said everything looked normal. They tried another cable (that was the first thing I did) and it wouldn't take a charge. They told me it was out of warranty and they couldn't do anything to fix it.

I thought that maybe the dock connector was damaged because the Belkin connector was difficult to remove when the trouble started. I bought a new connector and opener kit and replaced the connector. Nothing changed. I thought that maybe the battery was damaged so I got a brand new one off eBay and replaced it. The problem is still there.

Looking inside the iPad the path between the cable and battery seems to be: dock connector (replaced), logic board, battery (replaced). It would seem to me that there is something wrong with the logic board. Anyone have another idea of what could be wrong? I want to use my iPad and don't know if I am missing something that could cause the battery charge indicator to be on but not charge the battery.

Thanks,

Bob

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Bob

It appears you spend a small fortune on your iPad with no luck fixing your original charging problem. Apple stated it was out of warranty but I'm surprised they didn't give you the correct diagnosis and an out of warranty repair cost?

Bob95065

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
It really wasn't that bad. I got the parts from eBay and I have less than $50 in it so far.

Apple was useless. They said they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my iPad and offered me $100 off a new one.

Anyone else have any ideas? Did I miss something?