?Cannot Get Mail ? The Connection to the Server Failed?

Paula Guzman

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm new on here and I'm in a pickle.
I have removed iCloud, gmail, hotmail on my iPad, and have reset everything, and then reinstalled them, then went back and completely deleted iCloud again, on my iPad 7.1.1 and it still states ?Cannot Get Mail ? The Connection to the Server Failed?.

Everything works on my iPhone5 :D So it isn't my internet service.....

I had a PC before I got this iPad and it didn?t give me half the headaches this is giving me. Some of the suggestions I've gotten from other sites is to change the ?inheritable permissions? and I don?t understand what the heck they are talking about, LOL, and frustrated. I?m not stupid, or computer illiterate either :eek::eek:. It?s just that I switched over to Apple and it is a new learning process.
So at this point I can not get any of my emails from Hotmail that has switched their business over to outlook. I have gmail and I just completely got rid of iCloud because I have never used it.

Please help!

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi I'm new on here and I'm in a pickle.
I will try my best to assist you.
I have removed iCloud, gmail, hotmail on my iPad, and have reset everything, and then reinstalled them,
Okay, but when you say you "reset everything", what specifically did you do.
then went back and completely deleted iCloud again, on my iPad 7.1.1 and it still states “Cannot Get Mail – The Connection to the Server Failed”.
This is usually associated with server problem from the site you are trying to access or from internet or firewall restrictions. Be sure to check both. Also, is your iPad Wi-Fi Only or Wi-Fi + Cellular? If the latter, attempt to access your iCloud email via cellular data and see if you're able to, if you haven't tried already.

Everything works on my iPhone5 :D So it isn't my internet service.....
Just because your iPhone 5 can access your email, it doesn't mean that you do not have internet service issues, especially if your iPad is Wi-Fi Only. Just in case, reboot both the router and your iPad to see if the connection issue resolves itself.

I had a PC before I got this iPad and it didn’t give me half the headaches this is giving me.
I understand. I, too, was a longtime PC user and found the Apple way of doing things to be awkward, but not anymore. Give it time, you'll adjust.
Some of the suggestions I've gotten from other sites is to change the “inheritable permissions” and I don’t understand what the heck they are talking about, LOL, and frustrated. I’m not stupid, or computer illiterate either :eek::eek:. It’s just that I switched over to Apple and it is a new learning process.
I don't know what the heck they are referring to either, in regard to the iPad. As for adjusting to Apple products, give it time. You will like it soon.
So at this point I can not get any of my emails from Hotmail that has switched their business over to outlook. I have gmail and I just completely got rid of iCloud because I have never used it.

Please help!
I had a Hotmail account that was changed to outlook.com and I use it daily. Having said that, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Add Account and then select "Outlook.com". Enter your outlook.com email address and passcode then select "Next". That's basically all there is to it. Your Outlook.com account should be configured on your iPad.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You may find iCloud useful in the future. It's a good way to back up your files and stuff. You get 5 gb of storage free. If your devices share the same iCloud ID, then they share the 5 gb. Use separate ID's and each device has 5 gb. But use the same iTunes Apple ID.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Les Legato

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Change your hotmail password first on your iPhone and then do it on the iPad.
If that doesn't work then do it for your gmail account.

Changing a password is a lot easier than resetting the device and it fixed the exact same issue for me.

IMHO ?Cannot Get Mail ? The Connection to the Server Failed? has nothing to with routers or email servers. It's the generic iOS message for incorrect login and/or PW for non apple mail accounts.

Ymmv.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW