Crossed bell icon on status bar

souls33k3r

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've been trying to search the answer for it for the last few days but getting no where with it.

In the last 2 - 3 days i've started to notice this crossed-bell icon on the status bar next to the battery icon.

image.jpg

My iPad (3rd Gen) is not on mute but when i put it on mute and take it off, the icon disappears. Now the weird thing is that while this icon shows, my ipad is not on mute at all.

Does anyone know? So worried ... Thanks in advance

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Restart the iPad by holding the Home & Lock button at the same time until the Apple appears... then let go and allow it to boot... if the issue persists, a visit with an AppleGenius may be in order.

souls33k3r

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for that kch504428 ... i sincerely hope i don't have to take it to the AppleGenuis ... the 1 year warranty just ran out last month and i'd be gutted if it is a hardware fault.

But it would be good to understand what this icon means any way? Been looking at the guides but it has no mention of this icon. It only appears on the status bar and like i said when i put the ipad on mute by flicking the switch and then take it off, it goes away.

I've never seen this icon even when i used to put my iPad on mute. I do recall there is a fading sort of icon that shows up for a fraction of a second on the screen and then goes away suggesting that the ipad is mute now but never this icon on status bar.

Would be nice to see if anyone else would know anything about it

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The icon is the 'mute on' indication... and is supposed to be on when you flip the switch... and if you indeed have a hardware issue, Apple Geniuses have been known on occasion to replace a device "out of warranty" - never hurts to have them look things over.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you use Lockinfo, Intelliscsreenx, OpenNotifier, or any other jailbreak tweak that makes use of the status bar for icons? If so, look at those in your Settings; chances are you have one or more set to show that icon.

souls33k3r

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Cheers Massie. I wasn't sure what i've got installed :) but then when i checked i do have OpenNotifier. The only setting that i can see remotely linked to it is called "Silent Mode Icon" which at the moment is turned on (i wouldn't have changed anything unless my little munchkin has been messing about with my iPad) but it also says in the discription "Show silent mode icon on the left side of the status bar" but this icon is showing up on the right hand side.

Just un-installed the "OpenNotifier" because i don't really use it nor do i need it. Let's see how that goes.

Admins, can i leave this thread open in case i come back to you guys in a day or two to confirm please? Cheers for that

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Massie. I wasn't sure what i've got installed :) but then when i checked i do have OpenNotifier. The only setting that i can see remotely linked to it is called "Silent Mode Icon" which at the moment is turned on (i wouldn't have changed anything unless my little munchkin has been messing about with my iPad) but it also says in the discription "Show silent mode icon on the left side of the status bar" but this icon is showing up on the right hand side.

Just un-installed the "OpenNotifier" because i don't really use it nor do i need it. Let's see how that goes.

Admins, can i leave this thread open in case i come back to you guys in a day or two to confirm please? Cheers for that

It shows on the right by default; the "show on left" is a setting you can turn on or off. (You can also just turn off the icon altogether in the same settings panel. I use OpenNotifier for a bunch of stuff, but not the silent mode icon.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2