Debating whether to upgrade from iPad 3 to 4...

cfdj1971

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I know it probably doesn't make sense, but it eats at me to not have the latest model...but seriously what do you guys think, is it worth taking a financial hit to get the faster processor?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know it probably doesn't make sense, but it eats at me to not have the latest model...but seriously what do you guys think, is it worth taking a financial hit to get the faster processor?

How often do you use your current iPad? Does your use justify your desire to upgrade, especially just to have the latest? Personally speaking, I'm on my iPhone twice as much as I am in regard to my iPad 2 so I'd be more inclined to upgrade it to the latest version. Of course, to each his or her own...:)

cfdj1971

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I use my iPad extensively every evening...in my heart I know it doesn't make sense to upgrade, but I still have this incredible urge to do it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use my iPad extensively every evening...in my heart I know it doesn't make sense to upgrade, but I still have this incredible urge to do it.

(Laughing)...I hear you, and believe me, I know what it's like, but be strong and fight the urge...:)...and remember, if there was no next generation iPad, you'd be content with what you have.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a 3rd gen 64GB LTE version, and I just picked up a 4th gen 64GB LTE version last week thinking I could turn the 3rd gen pretty quickly.

I was wrong, the used market for that build isn't very big. Just a ton of lowball offers.

It's nice that it uses the same cable as the iPhone 5, but other than that, I really don't notice any difference at all. I'm still debating on whether to return the 4 and go back to my (still unsold) 3 and see what happens later this year...

cfdj1971

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have found that here in the UK too, the used market is swamped with iPad 3's which has significantly pushed down the resale value. If I were to sell my 64GB + cellular iPad 3, I would receive less for it, than it would cost me to purchase an iPad 4 16GB wifi only version!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Exactly my problem. People are looking in the used market for a cheap device, and I'm not willing to let the price go down that far. I'd rather simply give it to a family member as a gift instead of selling it for less than half of what I paid for it less than a year ago.

It's like trying to sell a Rolls Royce at a flea market.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
How often do you use your current iPad? Does your use justify your desire to upgrade, especially just to have the latest? Personally speaking, I'm on my iPhone twice as much as I am in regard to my iPad 2 so I'd be more inclined to upgrade it to the latest version. Of course, to each his or her own...:)

Pretty much the same for me although I use my iPad 2 a heck of a lot. However, as it is the 64gb 3g version, it would cost me a lot to replace it when it currently does exactly what I need. Although I would like the 128Gb one I will wait for the foreseeable future to see what the iPad 5 is like..

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much the same for me although I use my iPad 2 a heck of a lot. However, as it is the 64gb 3g version, it would cost me a lot to replace it when it currently does exactly what I need. Although I would like the 128Gb one I will wait for the foreseeable future to see what the iPad 5 is like..

I hear you, my friend...;)

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't waste your money if you have a 3. What's wrong with your current iPad? Besides Lightning connecter/30 Pin issue. Just wait for the 5 honestly. iOS 6 fixed the issue of no worrying about needing a bigger Bezel and being able to keep your thumb on while you scroll. Just wait for the iPad 5 with the new style body and prob 2GB of RAM when it comes out.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

If my previous post didn't make it obvious, I think it's absolutely foolish and total waste of money to shell out the $500+ on an identical iPad with a nothing different besides a slightly faster processor (no, the lightning connector doesn't count as a big improvement).

Ask yourself this one question: Have you ran into any slowdowns on your iPad3 that would would warrant another half grand plus on a slightly faster version?

If the answer is 'No', then you have no real reason to upgrade outside of a superficial (and ultimately, non-fulfilling) desire to have the latest and greatest, with no real improvement to be seen for the money you spent.

If the answer is 'Yes', then you need to ask yourself 'how' badly the current device is working (I'm going to hazard a guess that it's 'just fine') and determine if you really *NEED* to upgrade.

If all fails and you still want to get another one despite having zero issues with the current one, then you're either a. wealthy to the point where money is no object or b. just REALLY bad with money. (A fool and his money, are soon parted)

Yes, I know this is a blunt, in your face answer, but you wanted an answer to your question, and I have provided one. Don't ask the question if you don't want the answer...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
From a financial view, I don't see any gain in selling the iPad3 for an iPad4. Now if you needed the extra storage space and wanted the 128GB one I could see it but honestly at this point we will either see a new iPad 5 at WWDC or not until the fall again. Its really a crap shoot and I think the iPad 4 was not a typical refresh and it kind of skewed the refresh window. I feel they did it more to get the Lightning ports changed out on all devices (except iPods). I would wait.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2