Ipad storage vs PC memory?

gjbarber

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not a computer wiz but would like help with this question.

I am thinking of getting my granddaughter an Ipad. She now has a now has a PC which works fine for her.

The spec's say it has 320 GB Hard disc drive and standard memory of 4096 MB.
The processor is Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, 2.00GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB .

I am wanting to get something similar. Do I go with 16, 32 or 64 GB?

Thank you.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Tablets to computers are like apple and oranges

On computer the 320 GB is like the 16 32 or 64 your taking about storage space .. The memory is the ram ( random access memory ) the device stores info there but the user don't .. That's how a Computer opens multiple programs at once ... The computer has 4 GB the newest iPad is 1 GB. .. But like I said its apple and oranges two complete diff systems so you can really compare

What it comes down to is space what is she going to use it for ?

Most common is 16 gig and she will be fine

If she plans on storing lots of pics .. Video and movies then you should go maybe a 32 or 64 ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is the iPad going to replace the PC or be in addition to? If replace, get the newest and biggest you can afford, as she will be needing to put all her media onto the iPad. If it is not a replacement but rather merely a portable device to be used in addition to the desktop, then one with lesser storage will suffice as things like music and videos can be swapped in and out via auto-updating smart playlists in iTunes and/or streamed via iTunes Match, Google Play Music, DropBox, etc., meaning that not all the content needs to be installed all the time.

Beyond that, you cannot compare specs, as Peligro911 is correct: comparing a tablet to a PC is apples to oranges.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Is the iPad going to replace the PC or be in addition to? If replace, get the newest and biggest you can afford, as she will be needing to put all her media onto the iPad. If it is not a replacement but rather merely a portable device to be used in addition to the desktop, then one with lesser storage will suffice as things like music and videos can be swapped in and out via auto-updating smart playlists in iTunes and/or streamed via iTunes Match, Google Play Music, DropBox, etc., meaning that not all the content needs to be installed all the time.

Beyond that, you cannot compare specs, as Peligro911 is correct: comparing a tablet to a PC is apples to oranges.

Good point I assumed it will be in addition too considering the specs on that comp are decent lol

If they was no computer involved and only way to save stuff was a iPad then I would want a 64gb
If you have a computer also then 16 is plenty as you can manage your space on the iPad like Gordol said

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
PC memory not good.
4GB is maxed out if the computer is a standard XP Home / Pro, which is likely considering the size of the hard drive. 32bit systems are unable to use more than ~3.5GB and 64bit Windows didn't hit mainstream until partway through the time when Vista was current.

AmandaKess22

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

A tablet can not and should not try to replace a PC, she will be disappointed. If it's just going to be an extra device go for a cheaper model.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2