Did the iPad 4 come to soon?

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
It would have been nice if they just updated the lightning connector and a few other things and called it the Ipad 3gs

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
As an iPad 3 owner of 6 months I can certainly understand why iPad 3 owners would be more than a little irritated with Apple over this. However, it's no big deal to me as I just sold my iPad 3 and will simply use that money to buy the iPad mini that I've wanted for some time.

Willing to give up retina? iPad mini is 100 pixels per in less than iPad retina. I'm curious to see the difference in clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

It would have been nice if they just updated the lightning connector and a few other things and called it the Ipad 3gs

The "S" would stand for speed and that's what the 4th gen iPad brought. Can't call it a 3GS considering it was never called a 3. It's still not even called a 4. Just called iPad.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Willing to give up retina? iPad mini is 100 pixels per in less than iPad retina. I'm curious to see the difference in clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

The "S" would stand for speed and that's what the 4th gen iPad brought. Can't call it a 3GS considering it was never called a 3. It's still not even called a 4. Just called iPad.

Ok we'll call it "The New iPad S". :D :D

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Other than the move to LTE, which is notable, I think Apple jumped the gun on this one. they should have held off to reduce the weight.

jessedholm

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes it did. I ain't bitin this line. I'll wait till the new thinner lighter, anondized, shiny bezel edged iPad gets announced before I upgrade again. And then only if the processor is upgraded!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you've said it in the best way possible. I'm not upset but it did leave a sour feeling. Granted I don't *have* to upgrade, and all technology that is *current* is out of date anyway.

I just hope Apple doesn't become like a pc manufacture and start to obsolete hardware in 6 month intervals. I think I would be less salty if this iPad (third gen) didn't have such a poor resale value. Unlike other iPads, this one appears to have not held its value like past generations. My 64GB LTE iPad which is almost mint (I take care of my things), is now only worth around $400.

That's my .02.

This.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I think there were several factors that went into the decision to put out an upgrade now. It may be that Apple is planning on a reset of its upgrade cycle to coincide wih the holidays. Releasing new equipment in the spring really doesn't tap into the biggest sales season of the year. I'm not sure why anyone would pick the spring season as the time to pump out new products. You lose the excitement of the new release long before the holiday feeding-frenzy starts. Releasing in the fall keeps anticipation and excitement high.

In addition, I think it was important for them to get all their iOS devices on the same docking connector so peripheral vendors have confidence they only have one 'flavor' of connector to plan for and design around. Apple had the same connector for 10 years, so changing to Lightning is a really big deal. They cannot afford to let any of their flagship products languish without the new connector.

Last, I think they needed to make a strategic move to blunt some of the competition in this product category - notably Surface. If anyone has an installed base tied to a specific ecosystem, its Mircosoft. With an installed base of billions of devices, they represent the only real competition to Apple. And they literally own the business ecosystem - from servers to desktops to laptops. Even if they stumble a bit out of the gate, over time they could represent a real threat. And Windows 8 is the only innovative tablet platform to emerge to challenge iOS. The rest are just copy-cats. Apple had to make a move, and they did.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much that the iPad 4 came too soon... It's that the iPad 3 should have maybe never been released and/or the 4 should have been the 3

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Came just in time. My wife just dropped her iPad 2 last night. However I won't get the iPad4 or another iPad2. Apparently they will be selling the iPad3 refurb for a limited time for $379. Wait, what? iPad2 for $399 and iPad3 for $379? I know what I'll be getting to replace the old iPad2. BTW, I cannot find a refurb iPad2 unit anywhere... Apples math is broken. I like it.

It seems like the "new iPad" left a bad taste in Apples month.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro