iPad2+thumb drive

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the iPad2, and was given a 2gb thumb drive with photos on it that she want download to her iPad. Is there a way to do that without first putting them on her MacBook, and then downloading them to her iPad? Too bad the iPad doesn't have a USB port. Thanks.:confused:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (U.S.)

The apple store sells a camera connection kit that comes with an sd card reader and a usb connector so that you can connect your camera. I noticed in some of the reviews that some also used it to connect their iphone to their ipad but I am not sure if you can use it to read an sd card.
What i need is a connecter directly to the iPad from a thumb(flash) drive. No computer involved.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have an app similar to ReaddleDocs or Phone Drive, you can simply connect the thumb drive to a computer and wirelessly transfer the photos to the iPad. Also, with the phone drive app, it will show up in the App section of iTunes and allows you to simply drag and drop to transfer files to the iPad. No syncing is necessary.

Just Me, D

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Apple decided that you really don't need anything as convenient (or potentially profit-removing) as a USB / SD card port in their iDevices - and, as you know, they know what you really want.

They still want you to go thru iTunes - preferably on a Mac computer - to do things that make perfect sense elsewhere. And they've yet to fully grasp the idea that tablets are not just companion devices to 'real' computers. Other tablet manufacturers have.

Sorry.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You cannot plug a thumb drive into an iPad. The camera connector kit is specifically for use with plugging a camera in via the USB cable or its SD card. You will need to go through a computer and iTunes. If you have wifi sync enabled, you do not need to plug the iPad into the computer.

What is the issue with not wanting to plug the thumb drive into the computer, anyway?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You cannot plug a thumb drive into an iPad. The camera connector kit is specifically for use with plugging a camera in via the USB cable or its SD card. You will need to go through a computer and iTunes. If you have wifi sync enabled, you do not need to plug the iPad into the computer.

What is the issue with not wanting to plug the thumb drive into the computer, anyway?
My wife carries her iPad2 with her at work, and she sometimes gets business info "out in the field" via a thumb drive. She would like to put that info on her iPad right then and there, rather than wait until she gets home at night. It's a realtor thing, i guess.:)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife carries her iPad2 with her at work, and she sometimes gets business info "out in the field" via a thumb drive. She would like to put that info on her iPad right then and there, rather than wait until she gets home at night. It's a realtor thing, i guess.:)

She might want to get a Dropbox account or something similar. As long as she has access to a computer and the Internet, she could upload the contents of the thumb drive to Dropbox. She could then use the Dropbox app on her iPad to access the uploaded content at any time.

Just Me, D

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

A MacBook Air might be a better device option...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the iPad doesn't do that. Some Android tablets do.

If the iPad has cellular, then it has email and access to cloud services while out in the field. The customer can email the files or your wife can set up a Dropbox, etc, account and with the customer's computer upload there and then retrieve with the iPad. Or get either an Android tablet that has a regular USB Host port (Thrive, Transformer with the docking keyboard, Icona, one or two others) or an ultra book such as the Mac Air or one of the Windows ultras.