iPad 3 or wait

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using an original iPad from launch. This Christmas I was planning on getting the iPad 3 but considering that the iPad 4 will most likely come out in march I wasn't sure if I should hold off. I'm not sure what rumors are floating around but what are your opinions? Should I get the iPad 3 at Christmas or wait? What would you do? Either way it's a huge step up for me coming from an OG iPad

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There will be a new iPad before Xmas. What Apple plans to do after that, is anyone's guess as the new one disrupts the March(ish) release.

soll82

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
any upgrade is going to be good. But if you buy something today there will always be a new thing tomorrow

I think so too...just do it!:)
When the new iPad comes out and you really think it is waaay better, you can still sell your "old" one and get the new one...won't be too much of a loss

btw.: I've found a pretty good site for some stats on iPhone, IPad or Apple in general :D

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Apple did send notice to retailers to clear space for ipads. And yeah, a refresh this late could mean nothing in March.

Oldazruz

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If you have no choice but to wait til Xmas for the iPad 3 then I guess another few months wait after couldn't hurt too. I'd sell my original iPad and get the iPad mini to see me through til march.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using an original iPad from launch. This Christmas I was planning on getting the iPad 3 but considering that the iPad 4 will most likely come out in march I wasn't sure if I should hold off. I'm not sure what rumors are floating around but what are your opinions? Should I get the iPad 3 at Christmas or wait? What would you do? Either way it's a huge step up for me coming from an OG iPad
Just wait. It doesn't even make sense to buy it now- especially when Apple has a Keynote coming soon with an update to various products.

ziffos

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't wait - buy the iPad 3 or even the 2.

When a newer iPad is launched wait for reviews and opinions and if you like what you see and hear then just sell what you have and then buy the new one.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would wait till Apples Sep. 12th announcement, and then if you are still thinking about the iPad 3, go for it. I use mine every day. :)

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
There will be a new iPad before Xmas. What Apple plans to do after that, is anyone's guess as the new one disrupts the March(ish) release.

I know there are reports of the new iPad being re-released with the new dock connector, but would this new one also have a spec update as well? Newer processor, heat reduction, thinner, lighter, etc?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I know there are reports of the new iPad being re-released with the new dock connector, but would this new one also have a spec update as well? Newer processor, heat reduction, thinner, lighter, etc?

I have a hunch but will keep it to myself as I'm not 100% sure. Try to look at it this way, if a new one is released before Xmas do you think Apple would simply change the dock connector and call it a day?

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a hunch but will keep it to myself as I'm not 100% sure. Try to look at it this way, if a new one is released before Xmas do you think Apple would simply change the dock connector and call it a day?

In all honesty, no. I would think they will go with a die-shrunk A5X, maybe the IGZO screen tech, an updated battery, reduction in components where neccessary...that would improve the performance slightly and battery life.

I guess the big question is...does Apple go with a silent update where this is positioned as simply the same iPad 3 (in terms of marketing on their site and so forth), or do they go all in and position this as the next iPad (4th generation)?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In all honesty, no. I would think they will go with a die-shrunk A5X, maybe the IGZO screen tech, an updated battery, reduction in components where neccessary...that would improve the performance slightly and battery life.

I guess the big question is...does Apple go with a silent update where this is positioned as simply the same iPad 3 (in terms of marketing on their site and so forth), or do they go all in and position this as the next iPad (4th generation)?

Guess we will know sooner rather than later. :)

Gators625

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Guess we will know sooner rather than later. :)

Next obvious question is how certain are you about this one disrupting the usual March release cycle? You're always dead on with stuff like this so I was just curious if that was a hunch or something that you feel confident about.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Next obvious question is how certain are you about this one disrupting the usual March release cycle? You're always dead on with stuff like this so I was just curious if that was a hunch or something that you feel confident about.

I'm pretty confident but at the same time things can change.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I am waiting. I sold my iPad 3 back in June for cash toward a down payment on a motorcycle (awesome btw). Last week I finally saved up to repurchase but with many saying a new dock connector is coming on the new iPhone, it makes sense to me that they would do the same to the iPad. So I wait...anxiously...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro