Playbook Mistress

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have sinned.... I was bored and bought a 16 GB $199 playbook to mess with and use in my work truck. I like the smaller size for mounting in the vehicle, its decent for what it is speed wise, I do not understand though how they could have built this thing and not even installed the basic apps from the phones into it! I am in the process of converting a bunch of android apps to make it somewhat useful as the stock apps and app world selection are pretty non existent and extremely limited function wise. It does have some gps navigation apps and that is my primary use for it as I can mount it in the truck and leave it without much worry as it just looks like a big black cheap gps from the outside! Anyone else buy one of these to play with? Thoughts on how it runs, I really do think that once they get all the android apps running smoothly and without so much messing around it has potential, will it beat an ipad? NO, not even close it just doesnt have that polished finish and seamless turn on and use that apple is so famous for. I figure for $199 its a cheap toy and will provide lots of entertainment and if all else fails I will put angry birds on it and let the kids detroy it...

Can you imagine owning an iphone and an ipad but not having the same apps available on both? explains a lot on how rim stock is worth about the same as expensive toilet paper right now, its like they just dont care and didnt even bother trying.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
"If" Apple comes out with a 7" iPad, I will be buying one for every vehicle I own, it is too small to use in the hands and on the lap but in vehicle it fits so well, and to have the huge selection of working gps apps to choose from would be so nice, no messing around just plug it in turn it on and drive!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I actually prefer my PlayBook over my iPad. I sold my iPad. ;) Of course I have a BlackBerry phone and can bridge and get free internet on the PlayBook with it. I'm not sure what you mean about it not having basic apps, because it has everything I need. It's REAL helpful to have a BlackBerry though. If you have an iphone as your phone, and you can't take advantage of the bridge functionality, I can understand your not liking the PB as much as I do. :)

Reactions: merp23

psiclne

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine at full price on day 1, while I like the size and the UI on the PlayBook, the first year with was just a nice browser. In the last few months they're finally getting some of the more popular apps (instead of the knockoffs we had to settle for during the first year)! I still have mine, only cuz I don't want to take a huge loss on the darn thing!

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've spent a lot of time with the PlayBook, and it certainly has some neat tricks, but around the house I have little reason to use it over the iPad.

manofice1

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had the playbook since day one and love it, when I use my ipad I want to throw it out the window because it's so slow compared to my playbook. Multitasking is amazing on the playbook. Apps are getting better everyday, currently it has everything I need so anything new is awesome.

DravenX

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have used Blackberry since 2006 or so and been a faithful user. RIM has not made any advances in BBs and the Playbook is a joke. I have 7 Blackberries and a 64GB Playbook. All are pretty useless, except for a child. If RIM don't make some serious changes I see them going under or sold.

I see a lot of people how useful the PB is but I'm not seeing any backup for those statements. RIM is now trying to match Apple.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have actually installed it in my truck to use as a gps and while it has no decent apps and only one real gps app, I do like it its slow and clumbsy and its not a simple turn it on and use it affair lots of messing with it and getting it to run how i want but its great size in the truck and wont be expensive to replace if it does get busted. I prefer the ipad size around the house but the playbook is easier to take mobile with it being so small also i dont worry about the playbook my ipad causes me huge stress thinking its gonna be stolen, have something spilled on or dropped and screen broken i guess for me the playbook is my wanna be that is good enough to go mobile with and yet cheap enough to not stress over. I am enjoying learning on it and I am sure the next few updates wil make it much faster, stable and user friendly.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Like packable said, it helps to have a BB. My brother is a big BB user and gets a lot of functionality out of his PB with his BB. He also just dissevered how much more useful a tablet can be with a BT keyboard! :cool:

I don't think the PB works as wells a "stand alone" device as the iPad though. Even though I love my iPad, I really like the size of the PB though.

scottalg

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Like packable said, it helps to have a BB. My brother is a big BB user and gets a lot of functionality out of his PB with his BB. He also just dissevered how much more useful a tablet can be with a BT keyboard! :cool:

I don't think the PB works as wells a "stand alone" device as the iPad though. Even though I love my iPad, I really like the size of the PB though.
My feeling is a 7.x mini iPad will be another blow to the PB. I swore by BB and vowed I'd never leave due to mail handling...oh well, the jailbreak fixed that...now I'll never go back.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have made up my mind as soon as the 7" ipad is released the playbook is gonna be donated to the kids to wreck, play games on, throw under my truck as I drive away whatever they decide is best for it as I can not handle the choppy horrible quality apps anymore. If they would have just one app that worked smooth and looked like it was actually finished and tested I would reconsider but it just doesnt come across as being very professional or complete to me. I also recently discovered to my horror that my "business grade" tablet can not even open secure pdf files... I mean seriously how in the $#%% can you call the thing business class when it cant even handle one of the most used file format??

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Playbook has officially been removed, I am using my ipad 2 and thinking I may just keep running it, if it breaks its a yr old and I can then buy the 3 and although I like the 7" size I find the ipad just too good to keep locked away in the office while I am out and about. Part of my decision to lose the fear of breaking it was seeing a customer leave his out with no screen cover or case on and it looking like brand new still. I figure with my carefulness and having a case and screen cover on mine it has to be able to survive in the field with me! I am also still not sold on the new iphone while I am open to the idea I am pretty damn happy with my 4s and it lasts all day and does everything I need perfectly already plus its all paid for!

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The Playbook is a cheap piece of crap, and that's pretty much all there is to it, lol!

And that's coming from somebody who was unfortunate enough to actually have a Playbook for about two weeks.

I have a 7 inch Android tablet, and I really don't see a huge difference in terms of usability/size between a 7 inch and a 10 inch tablet.
The most important factor is the weight IMHO, and the iPad is as light or almost as light as any 7 inch tablet.

But really, if you INSIST on a 7 inch tablet, stay way clear of the Playbook. Even for the price there are better 7 inch Android tablets out there. Even for 200$ the Playbook is not a great buy, when you keep In mind that you're getting last years hardware, and the cameras on it are cheap, fixed focus models, and not autofocus cameras.

And as for apps, the PB apps stink and the only Android apps you'll get to run on it are old, sucky phone apps. When you finally DO find some Android apps you can make run on the PB it's usually a slow and unstable experience.

thelink74

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought the PlayBook on launch date at full price and don't regret it. I use for almost everything, true web surfing, music player as it has stereo sound, video recording as it's easily portable and fits on my tripod nicely, docs2go at work for corporate meeting and it is super effecient since I also own the BlackBerry mini keyboard. When I want to share video with the family I just attach to my plasma tv via micro HDMI, I mount it in my car and use it as a GPS. Can't wait till BlackBerry 10 and see how rim turns it all around again to the top...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro