Video Editing Workflow on iPad?

-ND4SPD-

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to get some input here as I don't currently have an ipad or mackbook & I'm having a hard time envisioning the workflow needed to accomplish this.

I'm needing to buy something portable to edit weekly instructional videos on. I just don't have time at home anymore to complete this task. I do have time randomly through the day/ week to knock some of this out though. Here's what I need to accomplish:

1). Transfer files from my Canon Vixia HF S20 relatively quickly without the use of a desktop.
2). Need to edit videos & upload to dropbox
3). Post the video on a website using wordpress
4). Figure out internet access since at times I will have wifi access & other times I won't.

IPad3 32 / 64gb or Mackbook Air or Mackbook Pro? I have roughly $900-1000 to spend & used or refurb is an option. OK, please discuss....

-ND4SPD-

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Much of the editing is stuff that seems like both iMovie or Avid can handle. Occasionally I'm guessing I will need to do some editing on a desktop/ laptop with a more powerful editor like FCPX or Avid Studio so I can do more creative stuff with filters & effects for promo videos (so compatibility would be nice).

I firmly believe that simpler is better which makes me lean towards the iPad as it's quick, efficient, portable, good battery life which make it appealing.

At the same time, I'd hate to make the purchase & realize I can't get done what I need to. Things like too many work-arounds or not enough memory/ processing power could make life miserable. This make a MBP appealing but it slower & I'm switching from windows to Mac so learning OSX will take a lot of time.

The Mackbook Air seems like a nice compromise but again, I have no in-depth experience, just playing with friends who have them.

-ND4SPD-

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Here's some of my initial thoughts to my own questions. Any input is appreciated.

1). Transfer files from my Canon Vixia HF S20 relatively quickly without the use of a desktop.
- Camera Connection Kit should work but I'm not certain (what about file compatibility of AVCHD).
- EyeFi Card (expensive for little storage)
- Bluetooth video transfer maybe?

2). Need to edit videos & upload to dropbox
- Their app seems to do a good job.

3). Post the video on a website using Wordpress
I know WordPress has an app but it's sketchy sometimes & can just loose info for no reason. I'm not sure if it'll uploads videos from the app either.

4). Figure out internet access since at times I will have wifi access & other times I won't.
- Obviously I could just get the LTE iPad & that solves that.
- What about tethering from an iPhone?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You're making things hard for yourself. Get a laptop for that.

That said, it's possible on the ipad. I think the newer canon camcorders record in MP4 format so it could be worthwhile to look into that. Otherwise, i think that's your problem ipad wise.

Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HF M500 Full HD 10x Image Stabilized Camcorder with One SDXC Card Slot and 3.0 Touch LCD: Camera & Photo
The maximum video recording time with the MP4 format is 30 minutes, and the maximum file size is 4GB, and when either of these conditions is met, recording will stop automatically. 1280 X 720 Recording

-ND4SPD-

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Here's a sample of the weekly stuff I'm editing. Nothing fancy, just get it done & get it up on the site for others to use. Definitely can be done on the iPad from my experiences playing with it. Again, my concern is getting the video to the iPad. That may be the deal breaker which then the Air or Pro becomes my only option.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9v7166au4q7tj4/V-Lab Vol 1 (Bi's & Tri's).mp4

My video camera (Canon HF S20) was the top of the line consumer camera a little over a year ago. They've since released a better one (Canon HF G10) but it's a whopping $1500 ($300 more than what I paid for mine a year earlier) so that's not gonna happen. I'll go DSLR before I do that.

Some of the newer Canon's have built-in wifi that can load video directly to the ipad. Unfortunately these are getting bad reviews for being confusing & not user friendly. They also have an MP4 record option which is nice for compatibility reasons. These would certainly work but if I'm going to buy a dedicated video camera, it needs to be better. Heck, my iPhone films video that good & transfers straight to the ipad.

Speaking of... I have considered considered using my iPhone 4S/ mCamlite/ & Filmic Pro app just to do these weekly video's which are pretty basic keeping that set-up super light, portable, & easy to work with for on the go. Then leave the creative montages & wild effects to the real video camera & editing software when I have time.

This is why I keep wavering back & forth. So many choices & options. My company will pay for the accessories & software I need but i'll need to fork out for the actual tablet/ laptop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner