Only Computer at College?

THARD11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is going to college next year and wanted to know what yall thought about her using an iPad with keyboard as her only computer. Do you think it would work? If so any suggestions for apps that would be helpful? Thank you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The issue is getting what's done on an iPad onto paper... Which is much easier now with newer printers being made to be iPad printing-friendly. Would it work? Probably... Would I do it? Probably not...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't see a prob with it if you had the apps like pages .. Etc and a way to get it to paper

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
You will need Apps like Pages, Numbers, Docs To Go, QuickOffice. You will also need a WiFi printer. The short answer is "Yes she can". I know my twins who are heading to College in the fall are considering this option now as well.

I think the only other thing to watch out for is to be sure an iPad can "Log In" to the school's websites. They should be able to, but I would check.

The boy twin already has an iPad and is looking for apps to use at College. He plans to only take his iPad to class. He will buy an inexpensive Windoze laptop because he does not have a computer now but the iPad will be used at College. The girl twin has an older Macbook so she is saving her money for an iPad to take to class.

I was recently at a Sales Seminar and I saw a lot of iPads being used with BT Keyboards and taking notes with the "stock" Notes app. NoteShelf is the best writing app IMHO.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you get the newest iPad. Get a good keyboard to go with it. Then get the iWork suite. You should be able to email your docs and such to print them out. Go for it!

THARD11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all of the responses. I currently have an iPad2 and do have it connected to my wireless HP printer. I am debating which "office" app to go with as yall are right definitely will need one of these. With the HP I just figured out I can scan to it also which is helpful. Thanks again!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My daughter is going to college next year and wanted to know what yall thought about her using an iPad with keyboard as her only computer. Do you think it would work? If so any suggestions for apps that would be helpful? Thank you.

Would it work? Nope..

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly no, I use my iPad as a companion device for school. But for PowerPoint and research papers I use my lapto and i use my iPad as a second browser for extra info. IMO laptop especially a MacBook air would be great and much more convienent.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually tried to use my iPad as my main device and it works fine until you have to submit assignments through sites like Sakai and Blackboard

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
It is very possible and would be so convenient to do this. I've been thinking about switching to this option in my everyday life. Being in the military and them using XDFL files seems to be my only obstacle right now.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I, myself just started college back in Januray and found that iPad helps a lot to save some money for textbooks as they are crazy expensive. I use the Kno app and it's a usefull app to replace the textbooks.

I use the iAwriter app to so my essay assignments and it is good, as long as you use a keyboard.

Overall, im pretty sure that iPad would befine to be the only gadget your daughter going to bring To her college.

If she needs a computer, im sure she can use one in the library.

Good luck :)

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I use my iPad almost exclusively as a student, but there are many times I've had to use a computer. It may also depend on what her major is (im an engineering student and had to use a pc for programming and other things like matlab).

Its an excellent portable device for note taking, text book reader, and document creation, but unfortunately doesn't cut it as the sole device.

xxplosive82

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I think it could work. Find a good office-type app, combined with cloud storage like Dropbox and she's off to the races. I wish the iPad would have been around when I was in school. I totally would have tried it out. If she needs a CPU, she can hit up the library or lab. Also, invest in a really good bluetooth keyboard. It will make essays much easier to write. Make sure she has a good bag too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

What are is your daughters major

That REALLY would dictate the technology she will need.

as a Software Electrical Engineering Major Windows or UNIX PC's were required (Back 2000ish) Mac Computers were not useable for anything more than word processors. times have changed dramatically but still today WHAT is expected of your child in terms of assignments

Will she be required to do presentations? Will she be able to dictate the tool to use? would she be doing herself a disservice not having the right tools?
as an Example now, I had "Office 2000 For Business professionals" in my first or second year, I did not take this course seriously because 1 I was trying to go all Linux and had this dilusion that by 2005 Windows Market share would he half what it was and my Excel skills wouldn't matter, today well today I kick myself because I didn't take the time to REALLY learn to use Excel, word, and powerpoint I'm more than proficient, but I could be so much better, and even in a world full of iPhones and iPads, and BlackBerry's none of which run Microsoft office, the Enterprise world is still dominated with MS office suites,
I took a REALLY long way around saying, the iPad COULD be good for almost everything, but don't forget that the Enterprise is still ruled by Windows, and Outlook, and MS Office, does she want to come out of college at a disadvantage?

recurringdream

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Nope, students still need a traditional computer for voluminous & detailed content creation. iPad is awesome for knocking out a short note or sketch, but let's get serious - writing a long paper with many illustrations would be maddening.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope, students still need a traditional computer for voluminous & detailed content creation. iPad is awesome for knocking out a short note or sketch, but let's get serious - writing a long paper with many illustrations would be maddening.

I've actually made some pretty detailed papers with charts, pictures, computer screen shots of oscilloscope traces, etc, using just my ipad (pages) and can tell you its actually quite easy. I'd even say easier than using MS Word.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

As long as she is comfortable with it. Also make sure she has an easy route to print papers and other things. Probably the easiest would be to email it to her school email account and she could access school computer labs to print; at least that is what I did a lot but from a laptop.

Personally, if I was going to college again I would go with a laptop. I couldn't imagine doing all the work I had just on an iPad. Library and computer labs fill up big time around the end of semesters when everyone has tons of work so having your own makes things easier.

Last edited:

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It's most definitely possible. Last year around finals I had my room broken into and my 17" MacBook Pro, ps3, my old phone and a bunch of games stolen. I was forced to use my iPad to write final papers and such. While its totally possible, as I did it, I think it would have been a lot easier for me if I had a computer. I may continue to write a few shorter papers on my iPad and will most definitely continue to bring it to class for notes, I use notability for notes. But for typing longer papers, which most of them are 10+ pages, opening documents, media viewing, etc, I will use my MacBook. I use Dropbox as my cloud storage so every document I need for school I just throw in a Dropbox folder and it syncs wonderfully with my iPad.

Joshua Shorter

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is the issue I see: not being able to edit headers/footers in an app like Office2Go. I use my iPad for all my work related activities but I must use Splashtop for heavy document editing. If there was an app out there that completely perserved formatting and allowed for editing/creation of headers/footers, I wouldn't need to be using Splashtop. Not even Google Docs allows for header/footer formatting on the website, it must be downloaded to a computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods