IPad suddenly died

jake8188

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
In the middle of the night my iPad died. It was halfway charged when I went to sleep and it was not messed with throughout the night. What could've happened?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. Have you tried simultaneously pressing & holding the power button and the home button until it starts? Try a different charging cable. If you're absolutely certain that you don't have a damaged cable or plug, I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a nearby Apple store, if applicable.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

jake8188

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
when i tried to turn it on. it showed the symbol that it needed to be charged. I have been letting it charge since then. Sometimes when i open the case it is already on .... Idk what it is. I think it is the case.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try charging via a different outlet or via a computer or use a friend's charging cable and plug. I want to rule out the default USB cable & wall connector before saying that the problem is with the iPad itself.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to help on the Apple Boards for quite a while, but now there is just too much repeat issues and too much infighting. Not worth having the mod status there anymore. But as mentioned above, many of the issues often fall back to bad cables or bad charger, especially if using aftermarket brands that cost $0.45 to make.

Of course we have not heard back of you did a full hard reset. If you feel a case issue, just remove the case of course and try w/o for a while under a full charge.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I will try without case and sees what happens. I didn't do a hard reset because I just bought it Monday. Charged it Wednesday.

I'm assuming you're referring to a carrying case / protective covering. Anyway, since Your iPad is less than a week old, I'd definitely take it back if it fails to charge after your next attempt.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The hard reset should be done all the time anyway, at least 1x a month. This is NOT restoring it as new, but just rebooting it clean.

Reset the iPad by holding the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time. Hold them both until you see the screen go black and the white Apple logo appear. When this happens, you can let go - the iPad is rebooting.

jake8188

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by a hard reset? Home and power button? I will try that though. It charges fine so I'm not worried about that. I will check and see if it happens tonight. If it does I will go to apple. Thank you guys for all the help!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by a hard reset? Home and power button? I will try that though. It charges fine so I'm not worried about that. I will check and see if it happens tonight. If it does I will go to apple. Thank you guys for all the help!

Are you telling us that your iPad is now able to charge and is now functioning properly?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

drethos

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The hard reset worked for me 2 weeks into owning it. Mine decided not to wake up and I did the hard reset I learned from owning a playbook and having to hit the power and vol + and holding for 5-10 secs. Mine came back from the twisting nether and has been going strong (knocks on wood, throws salt over shoulder, and pets lucky rabbit foot I got from a rather unlucky rabbit).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It always charged. Just in the middle of the night, I wasn't charging it and when I woke up it was dead.

I misunderstood your original post. My apologies. It is possible that an app or game is constantly updating itself. For example: Twitter, Facebook or the like. If that is indeed the case, you may want to go into the settings of those apps/games and make some changes.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It could have been. I usually close apps but I might have forgotten.

Jake, I am a bit concerned you are missing how the iPad really works and uses memory and what a hard reset/reboot really is... so it makes it difficult for anyone to help you solve this issue.

Have you completed a hard reset as I mentioned several posts back in RED?

Are you still having this issue?

I am not trying to be condescending at all, but based on the posts, I am a bit concerned.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, is your iPad 3G + WiFi or WiFi only? If it's the former and and your 3G signal is weak then that could be a source for your battery drain.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes a hard reset is no big deal, it's like rebooting a computer. Hold the power button and the home button together for 30 seconds or so, and the device will reboot, you will see the Apple come up and you will know you are good. It will NOT wipe your data, it's like rebooting a computer. :)

jake8188

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i know what a hard reset is along with a reboot. It has been working perfectly since that day. All I did was plug it into the charger and let it charge some. It is just the wifi also. I always close my apps. I have done hard resets also. Everything is fine now. Thank you guys for all your help. This is a great community to be apart of.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2