How do you use your iPad at work?

jjjwicks

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I use my iPad to connect to the office at least once every two or three days. I am on-call 24/7, so I sometimes need to jump on a work system to gather data. I use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client and iTap RDP apps to connect to the computer in my office. Since my iPad now has 4G service, gathering data has become even easier. If I have to transfer files, I use DropBox or SkyDrive, depending on who I am sending the files to. Having the iPad makes my 24/7 on-call life much easier.

Last edited:

mhuggins41

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Printing

ok so I run the IT for my city (whichis very small) and we just got 14 new iPads.... Im trying to get them set up so we can print from anywhere.... So any ggod printing apps that can use my citys network printer which is not airprint capable???????? also the splashtop app seems pretty awesome sounding i think i might give that a try.... Thanks for any ideas

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
ok so I run the IT for my city (whichis very small) and we just got 14 new iPads.... Im trying to get them set up so we can print from anywhere.... So any ggod printing apps that can use my citys network printer which is not airprint capable???????? also the splashtop app seems pretty awesome sounding i think i might give that a try.... Thanks for any ideas

Your city has ONE printer? Damn...

Anyway, I'd recommend Fingerprint - not an "app", per se, but a program downloaded onto any computer that will make non-AirPrint printers visible to iOS devices.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

Sounds like your city has the wrong person running IT.

nayemkhulna

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Cisco makes a number of applications for the iPad that are beneficial in my work as a consultant so I can help design, reference and present concepts to my clients.

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I mostly stream movies at work (listen to them as I work), but when i'm out of the office, I have it to be able to remote into our network and use:
1. Remote Desktop to remote into servers for troubleshooting
2. AD Helpdesk to manage our AD
3. SharePlus to access our Sharepoint Servers
4. QuickOffice for documents/excel/PP
5. eMail (for work and personal)
6. Evernote (for notes in meetings)
7. Calendar
8. iPowerShell as a reference when having to script powershell commands
9. HP ILO Console to access the iLO ports on our HP servers
10. SSH Terminal to be able to SSH to our Linux Servers
11. Citrix to access our Citrix farms
12. Junos Pulse to remote to our network

I've since quit carrying a laptop at work, as it's soo much lighter to carry an iPad.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am using an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S for my work. The iPhone is private but I have to admit, that it is so easy to combine these two devices that it is hard for me not to use it for work as well.

I have a regular desk job with a laptop (MacBook Pro) but I do have to visit customers every now and then. And I can say that I can do so much on the iPad that I leave my laptop at work more often.

Mail
Of course Mail is the standard app I use every day. All my mailboxes are IMAP so I have all my mails at hand when I need them. The new multiple signatures in iOS 6 are amazing and a feature I have been waiting for ever since I had an iOS device.
I guess there is nothing more to say about it :)

Evernote
I was a bit skeptical about Evernote when I first saw it. My mom showed it to me on her iPad (she became an iPad-only user ever since she has it :)) and I couldn't quite figure out if and how it could help me in my daily routines. But I can tell you: I don't know how to live without it anymore! I am using it on my work laptop and iPhone as well. Not having to email me stuff anymore (and I do remember those times) is so amazing. Whatever it is text, pictures, documents all on all devices and at my disposal. As I said before, I can leave my laptop at work and still have the important stuff with me.

GoodReader
I first started with the basic Dropbox app but I am using GoodReader most of the time now. GoodReader reads all my documents and with the Dropbox-synch I can download them all and use even large ones while not having a wireless network at hand.

NoteTaker HD/Penultimate
Trying to reduce the amount of paper I need I am using both NoteTaker and Penultimate. NoteTaker has the way better organization system with folders and the impression of have a couple of pages on one topic hold together by a paperclip. It even has more pen styles and types (like the marker pen). But I still have more the feeling of writing on paper when I am using Penultimate. This is why I still use both and depending on the type of notes I have to take choose the more suitable one. I am really looking forward what Evernote will do with Penultimate, now that they have bought it.

iWork
I am not a big fan of Pages on the Mac but the iOS version is amazing. I used DocsToGo before and was not very happy it never felt good. Until I started using Pages. The import of Word documents is exactly to my needs and it does everything in a smooth way. The iCloud support is of course a super feature.
Keynote helps me to start a presentation on the go and style it later on my laptop. I even have the iPhone control app.
I have Numbers, too, although I don't use it that often.

Cubetto
Being a programer at a consulting firm I use our own app quite regularly in meetings. It is a business process modeling app with the ability to model different modeling languages as BPMN 2.0, Event-driven Process Chains and even mindmaps. The touch interface makes it much more suitable for meetings than any other method I tried.

The iPad makes work much more easy. I don't want to miss it anymore

Johannes

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm in sales and only really use:

iBooks - holds all my PDF collateral for presentations

Calendar - nuff said

Notability - for notes and to attach pics to same note of related products for client

OPlayerHD Lite - movies during lunch!

Dead trigger, deer hunter, angry birds space - because I get bored at work sometimes

teepeeayy

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
My company uses a web conferencing app called WebEx. It allows me attend teleconferences via video. It can also connect to our room size video conferencing systems. I take notes with Notebook (reviewed months ago by iMore).

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My company uses a web conferencing app called WebEx. It allows me attend teleconferences via video. It can also connect to our room size video conferencing systems. I take notes with Notebook (reviewed months ago by iMore).

My company uses WebEx also. But because only our branch got ipads it's company issued laptops for it only lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro