How to watch AVI and MKV files on the iPad

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got many apps like OPlyer HD, handbrake, iFunia converter, of course Air video, to watch videos on iPad, I usually choose the easiest and quickly solved solution, if can play the avi and mkv videos directly then go on.

mechbrain

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
How to watch avi videos on iphone without converting to itunes format-OS windows

Simple:
This holds good f you are using Windows.

Download and Install Diskaid on your PC/Laptop (free but I am not sure)
Download any app that plays avi files on to iphone (I use 8player lite(free) and it works!)
Connect your Iphone to your PC/Laptop
Open Diskaid-It will list all apps on your iphone
Select the avi playing app
Drag and drop avi files into Diskaid to copy to yoru iphone (It is an easy interface. So I have cut my Explanation down)
Your files are ready to be viewed

jssqmaty

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
While there are different ways of watching AVI and MKV video files on the iPad, I use the Air Video app.

I just leave all the AVI and MKV files on my home machine (technically a Drobo connected to my home machine) and transcode them on the fly with Air Video while streaming to my iPad.

It's much faster than transferring or syncing files and saves a lot more space than storing them locally on my computer.

Anyone use a different method to watch AVI and MKV files on their iPad? Any big advantages to doing it locally?

I have the VLC iOS client (got it before Apple pulled)... works great... but if you didn't get it then, you can't get it now. Still don't understand how that works...

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't keep a server running. I just convert or rip with Handbrake. Works really well. Handbrake has a preset for iPad. With 64 bit Handbrake on my MacBook it converts quickly. I even rip my DVDs that I own. You have to install a library for unlocking DVDs but handbrake prompts you to do that. Works great. Of course, you have to transfer via USB.

Does Handbrake really convert AVI Files? I did not know that.... :eek:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by this? I have VLC on my Mac, but how does that help you watch videos on your iPad?

There was a VLC client for iOS back in the day... Apple pulled it from the App Store several years ago... but if you managed to get it before it was yanked, you can keep using it... there are a few of us still around...

floydstyle

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I have iOS VLC as well installed on all my iDevices. But there is also GoodPlayer you can buy for cheap that read almost anything media

shinemike

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Except these viewers, you can also convert avi and mkv video files to iPad compatible formats by some video converters. I'm now using this one: kvisoft.com/video-converter/

Sulaeman

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
iPad 3rd Gen now supports 1080p MP4. More specs quoted from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

MKV is not supported format. Refer to the below guide if you'd like to preserve 1080p quality:
ipad-converters.org/mkv-to-new-ipad-3/

ArXal ArIan

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The best method that i use to play mkv files on iPhone is to use "iFunBox". First you have to install "VLC" app in your device from "App Store". Now simply connect your device whether it is iPhone or iPad etc, and launch iFunBox. On top left corner there is an option "iFunBox Classic" click on it and your connected device will be there double click on it and look for an option "Raw File System" and open it. Then look for "User" folder and open it then open "Applications" folder. All apps installed on your device will be listed there. Now look for "VLC" app and open it now open the folder "Documents". The only thing that you have to do now is to copy your mkv or other format files in this folder by using "Copy from PC" option. After your files been copied open "VLC" app in your device and play the files and VOILAAAAA.....:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2