To Buy or Not to Buy?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i need help deciding if it is really worth buying an ipad from the people who already own Mac Books and Iphones. I sort of want one and they are Very cool devices but im a little torn deciding if its really worth the money since its seems to just be a bigger iphone. I dont wanna buy it and have it take over my computer since i love using my comp ect. i dont really see a huge difference between the ipad2 and the new one. i dont wanna buy it and have a totally different come out next march. what are your thoughts for people who own both and is it really worth the purchase? thanks

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1st and 4th gen iPod touch an and when I first saw the iPad I thought it was nothing but a big iPod/iPhone.

Then my wife got one about a year and a half ago, so I picked it up and started using it from time to time. In use it is pretty much a big iPhone, BUT, the size and portability makes you use it in ways you would never use your iPhone or iPod, or a notebook for that matter.

When Apple introduced the iPad a couple years ago, they said it was a device in between a smartphone and a notebook, and that's exactly what it is. Don't worry about it taking over for you computer, because it's not really meant to be a PC replacement, nor can it do everything that your PC can do.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I would just go for the cheapest type. Either 16 new iPad or 16 refurb iPad 2.

I was at the same situation like you, stucked between needs and wants. I have an itouch 4th gen and a MBP which IMO is more useful in terms of productivity, compare to the iPad . But than, still I just want to have one, although I can't figure out the exact reasons why I need one. It's just nice to use the iPad instead of the iPod (i4S in cour case) to browse, watch some movies, read books and PDFs and to carry around as it's more portable than the MBP. So I got the 16 new iPad, just for the sake of fulfilling my wants.

And since I found that the iPad is much better to use than the itouch, I'm thinking of selling the itouch and get the 32, for my overall stuff, and leave my MBP back home.

In conclusion, yes it is worth it, based on my own case. I'm pretty sure 16 would be more than enough for you as a casual user. :)

Good luck with deciding ;)

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Well, I hate to break it to you, but Apple will most likely definitely release another iPad next March (or around that time frame), and it will most likely be better than the new iPad (iPad 3) that was just released last month. No getting around it.

That said, I've had every iPhone since the first one, and I've always though of the iPad as basically a big iPod Touch. I thought to myself "why would I need a bigger iPhone?" I didn't buy the iPad 1 for that very reason. I also didn't buy the iPad 2 for similar reasons, but mainly because the cameras stank, and that it didn't sport a retina display at that time, which had been rumored.

i new iPad (iPad 3) though, I finally broke down and got one. And honestly, it's been absolutely great. It's definitely a device somewhere in between a PC and my iPhone. You can use it in ways that you just can't use the iPhone, or use a laptop. It's super portable. Great for meetings., taking notes, writing e-mails on the go, etc. And the new Retina display is definitely worth the price over the iPad 2, at least it is in my opinion. The retina display was a HUGE, absolutely HUGE selling point for me.

It's definitely not a replacement for a PC or laptop, and it's definitely not just a big iPod Touch or iPhone. It does reside somewhere in between, but I still find myself having trouble describing just exactly where that is, probably because the concept is still so new. Overall though, I've extremely happy with my purchase of the new iPad, and I can't think of any specific reasons not to pull the trigger and get one if you're already seriously considering one. I think it's great!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I sold my 6 month old WiFi iPad 2 64 for $500 today to a friend and I'm getting the new one Fri or Sat, and getting the 64 LTE model, to me it's no brainer, LTE or HSPA+ on ATT for me, it'll be great... the display is amazing, saw one at apple the other day and I caved to get it... it's absolutely unbelievable !!!

Shadan

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Buy new iPad 3 or not?

i need help deciding if it is really worth buying an ipad from the people who already own Mac Books and Iphones. I sort of want one and they are Very cool devices but im a little torn deciding if its really worth the money since its seems to just be a bigger iphone. I dont wanna buy it and have it take over my computer since i love using my comp ect. i dont really see a huge difference between the ipad2 and the new one. i dont wanna buy it and have a totally different come out next march. what are your thoughts for people who own both and is it really worth the purchase? thanks

IMO, it just depends on your situations, such as financial situation, your preference, your current devices and so on. but i also think it's not necessary to have an iPad 2 and new iPad 3 at the same time; if possible, maybe you can sell your iPad 2 and then buy an iPad 3 to have a try:D

luigidk

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
A tablet in general is the lowest priority of devices to spend money on. First is a laptop, second is a smartphone and a distant third is a tablet.

That said - no matter what the hype says - with the announcement of the New iPad - Apple no longer holds any advantage of Android based tablets.

I'm not recommending one over the other - just offering that from a cost and usability standpoint - Apple no longer is your only option.

I have a New iPad - it is a nice device - but I use it a lot less than my SmartPhone. From a usability standpoint - I find it to be fair at best.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd recommend the OP just buy one and try it out. But yep, a new one will come out next year. And yep, it will have to replace something you do with other devices. It will vary, some use their iphones less, or laptops, or watch less tv, etc.

And finally, yep, it's a bigger iphone (without some stock apps & phone). But that's rather obvious and not a knock. The iphone is a small powerful (and better in a few ways) tablet that costs more than some ipads.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 3, iPhone 4S and a smoking desk-top PC with a 27" high def screen. Each of the three have their own purposes and functions. One will never replace the other. As for the iPad being a large iPod Touch or iPhone, it's easy to see it as being that way and perhaps are limiting your vision of what you can do or are doing with your devices. If you can see the iPad as being something unique in its own right then your vision is becoming more multi dimentional.
I think the answer is quite clear, if you can see a use or purpose for having one, get it. If you don't, then don't. If your worried that it might replace your PC, I doubt it will, as mine didn't. If you're still worried it might do that, then you don't see the potential of what you can do or you see your PC as being inadaquite in some fashion or another. If you don't have one and plan to get one, spend the dough and get the iPad 3. It will serve you better, longer, and has a kick-anatomy display screen.
That's my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it....:cool:

Last edited:

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar question about purchasing an iPad. Wasn't sure I needed/should get one since I have an iPod touch, iPhone 4 then iPhone 4s and a MacBook Pro. I looked for was to justify spending the money on an iPad every since the iPad 2, I never considered the original iPad. After much consideration I decided to get an iPad when the new iPad was announced. I decided that it was something I wanted and I didn't need to justify my reasons for getting it since I could afford it. Since launch date I've been loving the decision to get one. I've even updated from the 16 to the 32 because I found I liked certain apps more on my iPad than I do my iPhone or iPod touch. I love this screen and the ease of use. I still use my other devices for things they are better suited to handle. The iPad to me is easier to carry around for things like books and entertainment on the go.

I went the route of the new iPad because the price difference for me wasn't a deal breaker so why not have the added features.

Sent from my "new" iPad using Tapatalk HD

gary1949

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If a Quicken Finance app was available for the iPad I would purchase one immediately. I don't understand why Quicken doesn't offer it considering the size of the iPhone/iPad market.

So, I'll continue waiting . . . .

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If a Quicken Finance app was available for the iPad I would purchase one immediately. I don't understand why Quicken doesn't offer it considering the size of the iPhone/iPad market.

So, I'll continue waiting . . . .

... because the good people at Intuit (who make/market Quicken) have their heads up their backsides... they just released a version of Quicken 2007 for the Mac universe a few weeks ago... finally made the old, old version compatible with Snow Leopard and Lion... still no current version (PC version is 2011 or similar)... lots of people using Macs who came from the PC/Quicken universe prior... but no Quicken love for us...

Back on the topic at hand, Motorbones nailed it: If you see the value in it and can afford it, get it. If not, no need to stress about it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW