Want to use Verizon ipad 3 in Canada

anon(4757398)

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I spend my winters in the US and liked the idea of a hotspot with Verizon so I bought the Verizon 4G ipad.
I didn't expect to want a cellular plan in Canada (Quebec) as I have wi-fi at home but I like my iPad so much that I would like to activate one of Rogers, Telus or Bell. What can I expect? Will any of them give me 4G?
I know they all have 4 G coverage in my area but will I have problems with the Canadian carriers on my Verizon iPad:confused:?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Carole

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I spend my winters in the US and liked the idea of a hotspot with Verizon so I bought the Verizon 4G ipad.
I didn't expect to want a cellular plan in Canada (Quebec) as I have wi-fi at home but I like my iPad so much that I would like to activate one of Rogers, Telus or Bell. What can I expect? Will any of them give me 4G?
I know they all have 4 G coverage in my area but will I have problems with the Canadian carriers on my Verizon iPad:confused:?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Carole

You can run HSPA+ in Canada but LTE will be locked to Vzn. Or at least I believe so.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
All 3 Canadian carriers LTE uses the same bands as AT&T I believe. If I remember correctly, Verizon uses something completely different.

anon(4757398)

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Lte bands

Just wondering, if I would of bought a canadian Ipad would I have gotten At&T Lte in the Us?
When I check the tech specs of the Verizon ipad the band for LTE is 700. When I check the techspec of At&t and the canadian model the LTE bands are 700,2100.
Is it only a question of frequencies?
Carole

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, if I would of bought a canadian Ipad would I have gotten At&T Lte in the Us?
When I check the tech specs of the Verizon ipad the band for LTE is 700. When I check the techspec of At&t and the canadian model the LTE bands are 700,2100.
Is it only a question of frequencies?
Carole

As long as the iPad that you are using supports the frequency bands where you want to use it, yes, it should work. Apple confirmed that an iPad bought outside the US will work on AT&T's LTE in the US with some provisioning. New iPad sold outside US will work on AT&T LTE, Apple confirms | The Verge

Last edited:

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It works I tried it, you just have to change the APN settings, well for AT&T at least.

I went to two websites, both equally as good as the other.

Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and Main Page - APN Changer and Data Sim Guide well do both from your iPad. Everyone knows about Unlockit.co.nz

It isn't hard, just make sure you're on wifi.
Select the appropriate Carrier and install, it should work.
It worked for AT&T, so hopefully it'll work for one of the Canadian Carriers.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Should have the bands to run HSPA+. Here is one. Watch the vid. Just will not run LTE.
New Verizon iPad can run on AT&T's 3G network with the swap of a micro-SIM card | The Verge

I knew that a AT&T sim would work in a Verizon iPad as I have seen it done before. However, the point I was making above is that a "Verizon Sim" in a Verizon iPad is not capable of HSPA+. Also, even though you put a AT&T Sim card in a Verizon iPad, unless you are getting speeds of greater than 7 or 9 Mbps you are not running true HSPA+ on AT&T's network. One thing that would have been nice to see and that video that you posted here doesn't show is a speed test. Are you sure the AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad isn't running on AT&T's slower 3G network?

anon(4757398)

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Rogers works with Verizon iPad

I went to a Rogers store yesterday and tried to sign up for the flex plan. The staff tried an Iphone Sim in the Ipad and it worked (3G). However because the ipad serial nu was not in the Canadian database they wouldn't give me the flex plan. I decided to wait and try a Telus store in Montreal close to the apple store where I believe they might have a little more experience with the new iPad.

Here is a copy of the specs for the new iPad (Apple site)

Wi-Fi + 4G for AT&T model: 4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz)3; UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900*MHz)

Wi-Fi + 4G for Verizon model:*4G LTE (700 MHz)3;*CDMA EV-DO Rev.*A (800,*1900*MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900*MHz

Why would the Verizon not work with HSPA+ since the frequencies seem to be the same

If Telus works out I may be able to do a speed test.

I am a newbie so thanks for your patience. I am an old mainframe dinosaur. I need to study APN. I don't remember the consultants tweaking anything on the Ipad. Is this Apn data on the sim?

Carole

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I knew that a AT&T sim would work in a Verizon iPad as I have seen it done before. However, the point I was making above is that a "Verizon Sim" in a Verizon iPad is not capable of HSPA+. Also, even though you put a AT&T Sim card in a Verizon iPad, unless you are getting speeds of greater than 7 or 9 Mbps you are not running true HSPA+ on AT&T's network. One thing that would have been nice to see and that video that you posted here doesn't show is a speed test. Are you sure the AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad isn't running on AT&T's slower 3G network?

It will run EDGE, 3G, HSPA+. Just not LTE. This article even mentions a Mac Rumors stating that. I have heard several outlets say that. You can research it it you don't believe me. Not sure what else to tell you.
Confirmed: New Verizon iPad Works on AT&T 3G Networks, For Now | TechnoBuffalo

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It will run EDGE, 3G, HSPA+. Just not LTE. This article even mentions a Mac Rumors stating that. I have heard several outlets say that. You can research it it you don't believe me. Not sure what else to tell you.
Confirmed: New Verizon iPad Works on AT&T 3G Networks, For Now | TechnoBuffalo
If you look back on my prior posts we already agree that a AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad has the potential to run HSPA+ due to the specs, however, I have yet to see that on any of the speed tests with a AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad yet, including that other video that you posted..... What I said before and what you originally quoted me on is what I disagree on. Unless I took your post wrong, it sounded like you were saying "Verizon" could run HSPA+ which is incorrect. Only AT&T and T-Mobile are capable of HSPA+ here in the US.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If you look back on my prior posts we already agree that a AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad has the potential to run HSPA+ due to the specs, however, I have yet to see that on any of the speed tests with a AT&T sim in a Verizon iPad yet, including that other video that you posted..... What I said before and what you originally quoted me on is what I disagree on. Unless I took your post wrong, it sounded like you were saying "Verizon" could run HSPA+ which is incorrect. Only AT&T and T-Mobile are capable of HSPA+ here in the US.

I never mentioned Vzn service running HSPA+. This thread is about using a Vzn branded iPad on Canadian carriers. As I mentioned, the OP can use it in Canada but would not get LTE but can get HSPA+(as long as the carrier they are going to use has it).

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I never mentioned Vzn service running HSPA+. This thread is about using a Vzn branded iPad on Canadian carriers. As I mentioned, the OP can use it in Canada but would not get LTE but can get HSPA+(as long as the carrier they are going to use has it).

Okay, we're on the same page now. :)

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

anon(4757398)

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Speedtest results for Verizon iPad on canadian Telus network

I got the plan I wanted from Telus with no problem.
The connection says Telus 3G
Here are the results from the 3 speedtests I did:
Download 10.71 upload 3.71
Download 11.85 upload 2.29
Download 9.01 upload 2.80
Would of liked to paste the screenshot but couln't figure out how

So are there any conclusions? Do I have HSPA+.

Carole

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I got the plan I wanted from Telus with no problem.
The connection says Telus 3G
Here are the results from the 3 speedtests I did:
Download 10.71 upload 3.71
Download 11.85 upload 2.29
Download 9.01 upload 2.80
Would of liked to paste the screenshot but couln't figure out how

So are there any conclusions? Do I have HSPA+.

Carole

Based on these results that you post, yes. Anything greater than 7Mbps is HSPA+.