iPad recommendation for an artist?

Joey4u615

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I have been having a lot of difficulty choosing the iPad model that is right for me, I was hoping that some of you wouldn't mind sharing your expertise with me.

I am a recent college graduate with a passion for oil painting, however in my current living situation there is less than adequate space for me to paint and it is extremely difficult for me to use oil paints in such a tight, poorly ventilate space. I thought the new iPad would be perfect for me to make art without the mess and fumes.

Money is a bit tight and I don't think that I will need more than 16gbs of storage since I will have all of my music and most of my applications on my 32gb iPhone. I plan to use the iPad to read magazines (so I can cancel my print subscriptions) and of course, to make art.

The only thing I can think of that would take a substantial amount of space would be movies if I decide to load one up for a train ride or something, however I know that media can be quickly removed and added if I needed to make room for another movie after I've finished watching one.

Do you feel that 16gb would be enough judging the larger file sizes?

Also, if anyone else uses their iPad for making art, do you have a preference in stylus? From what I understand the size of the stroke is dependent on the setting on the application and not the actual width of the stylus, I am not sure if thats correct though.

Any insight that you can lend would be much appreciated.

PS: I was thinking of purchasing a refurbished iPad 2 to save some money but judging by what I plan to use my iPad for, I figured it would be best to put down the extra cash for the Retina Display.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The retina display is definitely worth saving up the extra money for!

You can probably get by on a 16gb if you go absolutely bare bones with a small amount of apps and minimal media. You will also want to consider how much storage your magazines will take, and how many you actually will want to keep on device at any given time. Don't forget that you'll probably have somewhere around 14gb actually free because of the OS. My suggestion would be to save up the extra $100 and go for a 32gb, that way you'll have some breathing room and some future expandability.

You may also want to have a read through this: http://www.imore.com/2012/03/08/16gb-32gb-64gb-ipad-capacity/

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
For an artist I'd say get a 32gb, simply to have enough room. If the retina display is a big deal, get the new one. If not the iPad 2 is just as good.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods