AppleCare+ or Extra Storage?

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Just like the title says, which one do you think is worth the extra 100$? I purchased the new iPad 32GB for my little sister to use back in my hometown, which the new iPad isn't available yet. She mainly use it for videos, games (not hardcore games), and she loves taking photos. I filled it with two 1280x720 movies and couple low res movies (which i think she wouldn't mind) and it takes half of the storage to 14GB. The reason i am considering the AppleCare+ is because i think she is going to use it for the next 2 years, just like the 1st gen iPad she's been using. The 49$ for the replacement is a pretty good deal for the extra 2 years.

So what do you think about it?

Thanks for your help and i appreciate all the replies :)

coolqf

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So, Apple Care+ or Ipad3 64GB?

A few questions to consider:
- Did her other iPad ever have any problems, or does she take great care of it?
- What does she think? For my g/f it was a no brainer, Apple Care+ For my little bro, the extra space. Apple Care+ would be under my name, which meant it required me having to do all the mailing/shipping, and when I'm in a different state, it's a huge hassle to the point that it's the same price as having them repair it without AppleCare+. Plus, my bro takes care of stuff much more when there's no protection purchase.... Boys, aren't we clumsy? =D
- Do you have an AMEX card? They double manufacturer warranty, and anything that happens during the second half of the warranty AMEX covers if the manufacturer doesn't due to out of warranty.

If she does take a lot of pix with it and will have it for 2yrs, then yeah, maybe the extra space because the camera is a lot nicer (meaning it takes more memory per shot).

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Skip Apple Care and get a warranty with Square Trade for 2 Years.. including damage. I do it w/o thinking. Under $100 and $49 deductible if you break it or free if iPad issue.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Skip Apple Care and get a warranty with Square Trade for 2 Years.. including damage. I do it w/o thinking. Under $100 and $49 deductible if you break it or free if iPad issue.

AppleCare+ is same price and same ded as Sq Trade. Covers everything but loss or theft. Why go with them when you can do it with Apple? I would start to think.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

As was mentioned above. For the same price, I would rather deal with Apple directly than have to go through a third party outfit. Also, ST doesn't include phone support for 2 years as AC+ does, which is nice for those times when a simple phone call can resolve a problem. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had very good luck with Sq Trade in the past and very responsive. I was not aware Apple Care covered drop or break damage. When I got it for my iPhone 4, the sales person said it did not cover accidental damage, only extended the care on the phone defaults for 2-years.

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had very good luck with Sq Trade in the past and very responsive. I was not aware Apple Care covered drop or break damage. When I got it for my iPhone 4, the sales person said it did not cover accidental damage, only extended the care on the phone defaults for 2-years.

This is true, or at least what my thought is, as well. Apple Care does not cover accidental drops or spills. That was the main reason I went with ST.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't want to share bad information

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Applecare+ covers two instances when its your fault over two years, but not loss or stolen. 49 deductible. This also extends the warranty an extra year as well as phone support. Usually done on the spot with an exchange at apple store.

ST covers for the purchase price. So, on a 16gb ipad, you have 499 worth of coverage. They charge a 49 deductible for each claim. Any benefits they pay out will deduct from that 499 coverage in this example until its used up or the time expires. Loss & theft not covered either. Usually involves shipping it off or getting it repaired yourself with reimbursement.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPad

I read it over and about the same as Square Trade. Apple Care wants you to take it to a Genius Bar, which is 90 minutes away from me. Square Trade you mail it, which is fine as I have FedEx and USPS here at home and can print labels.

Both have $49 charge.

History of people I know shows that Square Trade pays faster.. my new iPad is covered for $829.00 to replace if damaged beyond repair. That is fine for me. I have had Square Trade since they backed eBay sellers 8-9 years ago.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is true, or at least what my thought is, as well. Apple Care does not cover accidental drops or spills. That was the main reason I went with ST.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't want to share bad information

Your sharing bad information. AC+ does cover breakage now. This isnt the iphone 4.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPad

I read it over and about the same as Square Trade. Apple Care wants you to take it to a Genius Bar, which is 90 minutes away from me. Square Trade you mail it, which is fine as I have FedEx and USPS here at home and can print labels.

Both have $49 charge.

History of people I know shows that Square Trade pays faster.. my new iPad is covered for $829.00 to replace if damaged beyond repair. That is fine for me. I have had Square Trade since they backed eBay sellers 8-9 years ago.

I guarantee you Apple has the same turn around mail in time for those that don't have an Apple store near them. Your history is limited to only the people that you know which doesn't represent the total amount of people who have done both. I have seen my co-workers get their iPhones replaced with fast shipping from Apple, and never once heard any of them say that they needed to wait too long to have a working phone. I would not want anyone other than Apple working on or making a decision about whether my iDevice could be fixed or replaced. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've always self insured my gadgets. 3 tablets and 7 smartphones later in my family I have never had an instance to use insurance. Having said that, knowing how our exchange student treats her phone, she should get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh