Can't decide between new iPad and iPad 2.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
OK right now I don't own an iPad.

I live in a non-4G area.

I can't decide if, for me, the $100 savings of buying an iPad 2 is worth it, or if a better screen and better camera is worth the extra $100 with the new iPad.

From what I have read, processing speed is similar and maybe even the same.

Screen on new iPad is very improved.

Not sure about difference in cameras.

So what is everyones opinion?

I want to use it for games and apps as well as viewing movies/tv shows via iTunes for my 2 kids on car trips.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you've never owned an iPad and money *isn't* an option then I recommend the new iPad. If money is an option, do not hesitate to grab an iPad 2. Better yet, head to a local electronics store like Best Buy and visually and physically compare the two and then decide which is appropriate for your situation. Take care & good luck.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Reactions: 0pusX

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As far as gaming goes I think you'll get a better experience with that on the new iPad thanks to its faster processor. That said, if saving money is a concern for you I don't see anything wrong with the iPad 2. You can always sell it later and upgrade to the new iPad when the time is right for you. As far as the camera between the 2 and the 3, the iPad 3 does take much better pictures thanks to the 5 MP camera, but if you don't plan on using your iPad to take pictures, this might not matter to you. Good luck with your decision. :)

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
FYI, if you're going to get an ipad 2, look at the refurbs at apple's website. It becomes a matter of saving 150 then.

In terms of value, either is fine. The 16gb ipad 2 probably moreso a value at 349 and won't take much of a hit at all in a year. The 32gb ipad 2 is 399. Discount Prices on Refurbished iPad and iPad Accessories - Apple Store (U.S.) Buying a refurb is the same as buying new. You still get a year of Applecare. They'll exchange it if any problems.

Considering what you want to use it for in your last sentence, and with kids, i'd get the ipad 2. Apps, games and video look great on it. The biggest difference is in text for me which is important if you read a lot on it. Your kids probably won't care if its a 1080p movie. In fact, you probably want to dump as many on it as possible in lower res.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
There's more to it than the display. With the other upgrades, the iPad 3 will serve you longeras new ones come out.... That's what made me decide...

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
If screen is important than don't hesitate to get the new one. It truly is amazing.

This is where I somewhat disagree. I don't think the screen is jaw dropping amazing. Why? Because it's the same crispness as the iPhone 4 and 4S to me. Granted the 2048x1536 resolution is pretty high, but I guess almost two years of the retina display on both my previous 4 and 4S just has me spoiled. I appreciate the technology behind it though.

As for the OP's question, if you can afford it, get the 32gb iPad 3.

ErikC

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
it would suggest to buy a ipad2 now (refurb) i think its the best (= middle) way to go now with the ipad3 coming out right now.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
You can actually save more than $100, depending on where you buy, if going with the iPad 2. I still say that you'll be dealing with these larger file/app sizes either way. Might as well reap the benefits of those increases. Reading on the new iPad is much improved; iPad 2 isn't horrible, but it's impossible to say you don't notice an immediate difference. It's a bit weird - a screen wouldn't make me buy a tablet, but if I'm getting a tablet then yes - the screen (most important feature) is key.

If money isn't your primary concern - considering that this device is hardly a necessity - I'd say go for the new iPad.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The focus of the new iPad is its retina display. People, both professionals and non-professionals rave about how gorgeous it is...and it is gorgeous...however, to prospective buyers, ask yourself these questions: What can you do on the new iPad that you cannot do on the iPad 2? When looking at the iPad 2, will its display not be clear enough or vibrant enough for your particular usage?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If you don't own one already, I say shoot for the latest and greatest.

Edit: As a side note, like other have said, shoot for a 32GB at the minimum. With increased app size, you'll eat through a 16GB with ease.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(New iPad, Tapatalk HD)

Last edited:

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
This is where I somewhat disagree. I don't think the screen is jaw dropping amazing. Why? Because it's the same crispness as the iPhone 4 and 4S to me. Granted the 2048x1536 resolution is pretty high, but I guess almost two years of the retina display on both my previous 4 and 4S just has me spoiled. I appreciate the technology behind it though.

As for the OP's question, if you can afford it, get the 32gb iPad 3.

This is where going for the non retina display would be 'back ass-wards', as my buddy would say.

If your used to the retina display on the iPhone, anybody who goes for the iPad 2 will find the screen rather appalling with use, BECAUSE they are used to the iPhone.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(New iPad, Tapatalk HD)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...snipped...

If your used to the retina display on the iPhone, anybody who goes for the iPad 2 will find the screen rather appalling with use, BECAUSE they are used to the iPhone.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(New iPad, Tapatalk HD)

I disagree. I love the retina display on my iPhone 4S and it does wonders for the 3.5 inch display, but when I fire up my iPad 2, I do not see an appalling screen. I see a large, vibrant and easy-to-read display.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I love the retina display on my iPhone 4S and it does wonders for the 3.5 inch display, but when I fire up my iPad 2, I do not see an appalling screen. I see a large, vibrant and easy-to-read display.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

I apologize, I should've stated that that's what I personally experienced.

For me, with extended use I personally found the previous iPad screens a little rough on the eyes. Then again, I'm a little OCD about every pixel rearing their blocky heads at me. :D

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(New iPad, Tapatalk HD)

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I apologize, I should've stated that that's what I personally experienced.

For me, with extended use I personally found the previous iPad screens a little rough on the eyes. Then again, I'm a little OCD about every pixel rearing their blocky heads at me. :D

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(New iPad, Tapatalk HD)

I understand and no need to apologize. ;). We're all adults here and are capable of respecting other people's opinions and views. At least, I hope so...lol...Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally I passed on upgrading to the iPad 2 when it first came out, and I was not going to get it now just because they dropped the price. I was waiting for the retina screen, and it is totally worth it!

bbsadaj

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i'm myself am leaning towards the ipad2 now since i found them for $350 at microcenter. this will be my first ipad/tablet purchase and was going to go with an android but this price is the tipping factor amongst other things. would someone like to help confuse me further and give me reasons why i might like an ipad3, more bang for the buck is a factor along with my purchasing committee (wife) who finally gave me her blessing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox