How does 1080p video display on the screen?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
New iPad users I have a question. How does 1080p video display on the new iPad's screen?

Does it scale the image to fill most the screen (but letter box on the top and bottom) or does it display at native 1920x1080 but framed on all sides?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't downloaded any 1080p from iTunes yet... when in landscape mode..when I play 720p stuff that's in my library, there's a little spot to click on the far right end of the timeline that allows me to tap to switch between letter-boxing top & bottom, or cropping edges and fill the screen... I expect 1080p content will display similar behavior.

Edit to add: indeed 1080p content plays as 720p... one can tap the spot on the timeline to toggle between top\bottom letterbox vs. crop sides when the iPad is in landscape... in portrait orientation, it crops top & bottom - no option to toggle.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Bummer, how does it look? Pretty good even being scaled?

I haven't gotten to see the new screen yet; I might be around an Apple Store this weekend to drop in and have a look. Was curious because not watching stuff at it's native resolution really bugs me.

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you were watching at native resolution, 1080p content would only take up a fraction of this glorious screen. I've watched several HD movies and love how they look. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern?

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Bummer, how does it look? Pretty good even being scaled?

I haven't gotten to see the new screen yet; I might be around an Apple Store this weekend to drop in and have a look. Was curious because not watching stuff at it's native resolution really bugs me.

I don't think it's a bummer at all. If you watch landscape orientation, with edges cropped - it's like holding my Samsung LCD TV in my hands... I'm not bothered at all. If you try it, I think you'll like it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If you were watching at native resolution, 1080p content would only take up a fraction of this glorious screen. I've watched several HD movies and love how they look. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern?

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I know, if you watch it at native 1080p you would be losing 128 (64 on each side) pixels horizontally and 428 (214 on the top bottom) vertically; where the pixels would be black framing the image. That isn't like you are losing that much.

So it's really stretching the video 128 pixels on the side at least and then a little vertically as well to maintain the ratio but when you zoom it really stretches it even more vertically. Which I would never do because now you are actually chopping off parts of the video on the sides and ruining the aspect ratio.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods